learning to fly - paid tuition West Country?

Tony Harrison 2

Can't suggest any paid for instruction in your area - I think that type of service has declined recently although there's bound to be a few around somewhere. Just curious, but there are a number of clubs in your neck of the woods - any reason why they might not be able to help you?

Whilst you might find a paid instructor,  I wonder whether you should consider first if you have been using a suitable plane?    What have you been flying?    

Building something like a Super 60 or a large vintage model might produce a  model that flys slowly and can also be seen easily.   

Maybe having the right plane with reliable i.c engine or electric plus a good supply of Lipos so that you can get 4 or 5 flights in a day ( at least) would help progress. 

Tony, Just my opinion as I started less than 10 years ago and also now instruct + received instruction for my B cert so hopefully can give a balance view.

If you are learning from new you will need quite a few hours instruction + hours practice, to pay for it is both expensive and locks you into trainer/your availability. Even if you get a flight sim you may need a good few sessions before you come off the buddy box. I would say that 4 to 6 flights per day is about the max (little and often is better) or its just a case of diminishing returns or at worse you damage your model.

This is why cub atmospheres are so much better as you get a chance to ask other modelling questions and have a rest between flights. If your normal instructor is not available then another might be and sometimes a change is good as a rest!

I completed my B training via an instructor which was my preference in part due to lack of willingness of instructors (fly on set days/nice weather) along with everyone else on a club/nice day. But the big difference is 3 hours with an instructor at a dedicated flying field then allows unlimited practice back at the club field to polish things up. The instructor even organized the two examiners for test day. Even with a break between flights and de-brief 3 hours and 5/6 flights was more than enough and that had a couple of instructor demonstration flights to really set the model up to its best.

I used to pick non club times for instruction as it allows greater flexibility with weather opportunities and not competing for airspace with lots of other people (that can come later on normal club days). 

Just out of idle curiosity I Googled 'Model flying instruction' and the only professional outfit that came up was the well known one run by Paul Heckles that has been around for quite a few years. Interesting to note that they have diversified into other UAV type pro training activities and corporate stuff. I've no idea how much you might have to pay for a professional  model flying training service, but I'd not be surprised of it was very much less than having a driving lesson to make it viable.

Some clubs are better than others when it comes to training -my second club runs a scheme that is as good as anything that you might pay for but of course it's all absolutely free.

Edited by Cuban8

2 hours ago, Cuban8 said:

Can't suggest any paid for instruction in your area - I think that type of service has declined recently although there's bound to be a few around somewhere. Just curious, but there are a number of clubs in your neck of the woods - any reason why they might not be able to help you?

Ah, clubs. A real curate's egg. I belong to two clubs, England and France, each excellent in different ways. (Had tried a couple of others, and dropped them.) Lack of continuity from shutting between different countries has handicapped me, plus other factors; and I'm reluctant to cut into friends' own flying time by asking them for buddy-lead assistance. In England, autumn to spring, the atrocious and erratic weather means flying opportunities are rare anyway, aggravated by rain-sodden fields making vehicle access impossible. I've been thinking about abandoning the hobby and concentrating on fishing... But thanks for your interest.

1 hour ago, kc said:

Whilst you might find a paid instructor,  I wonder whether you should consider first if you have been using a suitable plane?    What have you been flying?    

Building something like a Super 60 or a large vintage model might produce a  model that flys slowly and can also be seen easily.   

Maybe having the right plane with reliable i.c engine or electric plus a good supply of Lipos so that you can get 4 or 5 flights in a day ( at least) would help progress. 

Thanks kc. I've tried foamies, I've built two traditional kits (elec glider, elec small high-wing trainer) which flew very well in others' hands, crashed when I tried them solo. Latest is a fairly big high-wing job with ailerons, tricycle wheeled, i/c engined bought s/h, electrified it myself and it flies very micely under buddy-lead supervision, stable & solid. I daren't try it solo, dread destroying it. Would love to have 4-5 flights in a day, supervised & instructed - it's what I'm willing to pay for.

I personally don't think that if you belong to a club that you should be paying for tuition.

I am a club instructor and have 5 pupils I am currently instructing - soon to be 6 when we can get some times organised. Yes it makes for a very busy day for me but as an instructor, seeing the expressions on the faces of the students after the end of day debrief- pointing out their achievements is all the payment I require.

Best example was when I first joined my current club.

There was a gentleman who had not flown all morning and did not seem to have an aircraft with him.

I spoke to the chairman who said that he was a fairly new pilot who had had a bad experience.

I asked if it was OK if I took him up on a buddy box (making sure I did not stand on any-ones toes).

Having got the OK, I prepared my model to fly again - a 67" wingspan electric Twin Otter.

Went over to the gentleman, passed him the buddy box, took him to the flight line, briefed him pointing out he could not crash it as I would take over if necessary.

Put the plane in the air and after the first circuit passed him control and talked him calmly through what he needed to be doing.

After landing, the expression on his face was unreal - a real Cheshire cat smile.

His enthusiasm was reinvigorated and he is still one of my students - currently able to take off,  do circuits even in cross winds and we are currently sorting out his landings - we have quite a small runway so flying has to be fairly exact. Hopefully with some good weather A cert calls in September.

"We are a very friendly club", I was told through gritted teeth by an instructor and a couple of members in a club I joined in Dorset. Because I wanted a few minutes safe flying time getting used to my foamie.  Yeah, because I don't have a ten thousand pound jet, like you? That's why clubs are dying. Watch this post get taken down too.

3 hours ago, Tony Harrison 2 said:

Ah, clubs. A real curate's egg. I belong to two clubs, England and France, each excellent in different ways. (Had tried a couple of others, and dropped them.) Lack of continuity from shutting between different countries has handicapped me, plus other factors; and I'm reluctant to cut into friends' own flying time by asking them for buddy-lead assistance. In England, autumn to spring, the atrocious and erratic weather means flying opportunities are rare anyway, aggravated by rain-sodden fields making vehicle access impossible. I've been thinking about abandoning the hobby and concentrating on fishing... But thanks for your interest.

Clubs are anti new members, in my experience. Just use YouTube and park fly if you enjoy the hobby.

3 hours ago, paul devereux said:

Clubs are anti new members, in my experience. Just use YouTube and park fly if you enjoy the hobby.

Paul, not all clubs in Dorset are the same!

I am the club sec. of the PMFC (Dorset), and would be more than happy to welcome you to our happy bunch.

Please send me a pm, and I will give you my contact details so we can "Talk Flying".

Look fwd to hearing from you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, paul devereux said:

"We are a very friendly club", I was told through gritted teeth by an instructor and a couple of members in a club I joined in Dorset. Because I wanted a few minutes safe flying time getting used to my foamie.  Yeah, because I don't have a ten thousand pound jet, like you? That's why clubs are dying. Watch this post get taken down too.

I think post only get 'taken down' if they break the code of conduct - yours doesn't so there is no reason for it to be removed.  Even if most people on here will disagree with the sentiment tbh.

It is sad that you have had only bad experiences as I think there is definitely a lot to be gained from belonging to a club, irrespective of your place on the learning curve and experience.  All clubs are different so taking up Simon's offer sounds good....... even if the end result is that you still prefer to be outside a club structure - lots of people do, and thoroughly enjoy the hobby. (I myself spent years flying outside a club, but I can't imagine going back to that position now).

I would say that not all clubs are dying.  Despite our rural location, and aging demographic, our numbers are stable, or even increasing by a few members a year.  Some are even not yet retired!

Whatever you decide, "happy flying, and safe landings".

• Like 2

Where do you stay in France Tony? I live in the extreme north of La Creuse, (23.) If I go to the nearest supermarket I'm in the Indre (36.) I am an instructor at my club, Berry Marche Modelisme (B2M) which has a good reputation for training beginners. We have members who drive over 30 miles to our club even though there are other clubs closer to their homes. Club website here:  http://berrymarchemodelisme.free.fr/. We also have a Facebook page.

If you're anywhere nearby, why not send me a pm and we'll go flying. I'm going flying this afternoon! 😊

Don't give up Tony, as you say, the weather is a significant factor, and has been very frustrating for some of us,

But, when you get going, the pleasure from controlled flying is immense.

Don't be afraid to ask friends, as they can be holding back so as not to overwhelm you, and can be in fact just waiting for you to ask.

Also

Be ready for flight, when you ask.

Don't ask, then start assembling your model, putting the wing on, and finding a battery, be flight ready for your instruction.

23 minutes ago, Frank Skilbeck said:

Is Swindon too far to travel http://www.paulhecklesrc.co.uk/en/top/home/ 

BTW I do quite a bit of instructing and have never found anybody asking for instruction intrusive.

I think that you may have hit a nail on the head Frank. If I see a newcomer at our flying field I always go up to them and ask them if they're active aeromodellers or if they want to learn to fly. Other instructors may not do so and some beginners may not have the self confidence to ask and so they feel that the club is not interested in helping them.

Edited by David Davis 2

I can understand some people's attitude to clubs either through their own bad experiences or word of mouth. I myself as a young teenager half a century ago came unstuck when I joined my first club in East London  - (still going, so shall remain nameless although I'm sure they are excellent now) expecting to be welcomed and helped but found them to be quite useless and unfriendly but super quick at taking my subs money. Eventually had a couple of jokers offer to test fly my powered glider and they launched it with the RX switched off!!

Eventually joined a decent club that knew what it was doing and then never looked back - wound up instructing lots of new pilots myself (never had a crash when they were under my tutelage). Always remembered those idiots in my first club who could have very easily have put me off the hobby for life and so I strived to help new flyers as much as possible and have them avoid all the common pitfalls.

Still get Christmas cards from a few chaps whom I taught 30 years ago - some have  since moved on to different hobbies but others still fly after moving away to other parts of the country.

Interesting that Paul Heckles's business is still running - Paul must be knocking 60 now. I did a week's RC Helicopter training with him back in 2000 - I'm sure the cost was £40 per hour using their kit so £200 per day for 5 days even then - that's when I used to get a large annual bonus which I could blow on stuff like that!

Edited by Wingman
added more info

16 hours ago, Chris Walby said:

If you are learning from new you will need quite a few hours instruction + hours practice,,,,

This is why cub atmospheres are so much better as you get a chance to ask other modelling questions and have a rest between flights. If your normal instructor is not available then another might be and sometimes a change is good as a rest!..

Thanks Chris. I do not dispute the advantages of club (the right one, and I belong to two) over trying to teach oneself. In several years so far I haven't had a "normal instructor": at one club, my experienced instructor gave me two lessons then moved to another county without telling anyone; at another, a similarly very experienced instructor gave me one lesson then died, very sadly; at yet another, my best instructor to date (a personal friend) is moving far away...

5 hours ago, David Davis 2 said:

Where do you stay in France Tony? I live in the extreme north of La Creuse, (23.) If I go to the nearest supermarket I'm in the Indre (36.) I am an instructor at my club, Berry Marche Modelisme (B2M) which has a good reputation for training beginners. We have members who drive over 30 miles to our club even though there are other clubs closer to their homes. Club website here:  http://berrymarchemodelisme.free.fr/. We also have a Facebook page.

If you're anywhere nearby, why not send me a pm and we'll go flying. I'm going flying this afternoon! 😊

Thanks David, very kind. We're a long way apart: our 2nd home (from roughly late spring to mid-autumn) is in Dep't 30, Le Gard, on the edge of the Cévennes. We drive south on the A71 to the east of you, via Clermont Ferrand, on our way there. My club is the AMCC, Aeromodel Club Cevenol: great bunch, lovely flying field which they own, but my French isn't quite good enough to take instruction in that language.

2 hours ago, Cuban8 said:

I myself as a young teenager half a century ago came unstuck when I joined my first club in East London  - (still going, so shall remain nameless although I'm sure they are excellent now) expecting to be welcomed and helped but found them to be quite useless and unfriendly but super quick at taking my subs money.....

One club I visited, S.Devon, was far too regimented for my liking - and I overheard one instructor member talking unkindly and disparagingly about a new member he'd been teaching. I didn't go back. Another in the same area gave me the distinct impression that they weren't keen on new members requiring instruction - tried to put me off by exaggerating the huge sums of money it would allegedly cost to get into the hobby.

Tony, you say you migrate between France and the UK. UK in the winter. Now even in Devon, the UK is a cold, dreary, dark and windy place in winter. 
Hard work to learn there as I assume you are no longer a stripling. Summer is easier.

Have you thoroughly exhausted a search a French based instructor. And don’t worry about imposing on time. Most folk are happy to help, and being gops, not afraid to say, no more. 
I have vague thoughts of two people on this forum who might do you, living down that corner of France. Perhaps you need a second post, instructor in France with Elglish language skills.

( gop)=grumpy old fart.

Edited by Don Fry
For Elglish read English, and I have an o level