Fuel for Laser/Saito query

SiBee

Just started with IC. I have a model with a Laser 100 which runs great on Model Technics Laser 5.

Just bought another model with a Saito FA100. I really hope I can use the same fuel in both models  ? , otherwise it’s going to be a bit of a pain ,

Thanks

Advert

It’s going to be a bit of a pain.   The elder statesmen will wade into this imminently but orthodox wisdom is that Saitos cannot be run safely on the low oil content of Laser 5 Low Oil.   Plain Laser 5 will probably run it, 15% oil, and the Saito will probably spit most of the oil out via the exhaust anyway, but you’ll void any warranty if you don’t stick to Saito’s prescriptive fuel requirements.   Might be something to do with the big end bearing construction.

Most Saitos

I have run and seen seem to prefer 10% nitro which as Jon is about to say is a waste of nitro in a Laser.

Laser low oil is significantly cleaner.

Swap the gallon container in the flight box for two half gallons instead.

BTC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Yea the other guys covered it. Standard laser 5 with 15% oil will work, low oil laser 5 with 7% oil..ehh its on you if it breaks as i wont guarantee it! My saito 45 is very happy on the normal stuff though 🙂 

Ok thanks very much

2 hours ago, Jason Channing said:

20% castor and 30% nitro should get all the old moaners going 😆 or weston fuel.

Look guys, a troll has appeared from the woods with nothing of value to add to the conversation. 

2 hours ago, Jason Channing said:

Should add, as their all in wheel chairs the castor helps as a medicine and wheel lubricant

I think you mean 'they're' and i happen to still be in my 30's so...no. No wheelchair for me just yet. 

3 hours ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Yea the other guys covered it. Standard laser 5 with 15% oil will work, low oil laser 5 with 7% oil..ehh its on you if it breaks as i wont guarantee it! My saito 45 is very happy on the normal stuff though 🙂 

sorry Jon, what is the Saito normal stuff ?

My Laser fires up straight away finger over the inlet and turning the prop a few times, do you prime a Saito the same way ?

51 minutes ago, David Davis 2 said:

SiBee, by "the normal stuff" I think that Jon is referring to Standard Laser 5 fuel with 5% nitro and 15% oil. Your Saito should run well enough on that. If you use the more recently released Low Oil Laser 5 fuel, that contains only 7% oil you may damage your Saito. Your Laser 100 will happily run on either.

Thanks very much 👍

yea sorry normal stuff is the 5/15 laser 5 rather than the low oil. 

As my saito is buried in a cowl i put a finger over the exhaust and prime that way. A bump backwards off compression usually has it ticking away. Well, it clatters a bit these days as the front bearing floats in the crankcase now as the case fit has gone and tends to let go of it once the engine warms up. I need to work out a way to fix it really and might swap in my other saito 45 while i consider it. 

• Like 1

I love a good fuel debate. 

This should get the fur flying. 😆

Saito: 

I have seven Saito engines. ❤

The smallest is a .72 and the largest is a 1.50. 

The youngest of them is about 7 years old.

They are run regularly and they run really sweetly on Prosynth fuel with 10% nitro. 

None is showing any signs of wear or distress. . The engines think the fuel is nectar. They love it.

Whilst I can thoroughly recommend Prosynth for a Saito, Jon would never sanction it to be used in a Laser. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Brian Cooper said:

Jon would never sanction it to be used in a Laser. 

yep, quite true. And with my modeller hat on i wouldnt recommend it for anything else either. 

The question is why. If it was really as good as claimed, why would i deem it non compliant with laser warranty spec and be so down on it? Perhaps i know something end users dont? If it was good why would i not recommend it? 

Not that it matters to you Brian as you will, for some reason, ignore me anyway as you seem to think you know more about Laser engines than the guy that designs and builds them. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Not that it matters to you Brian as you will, for some reason, ignore me anyway as you seem to think you know more about Laser engines than the guy that designs and builds them. 

Your are absolutely correct.  I know nothing about Laser engines,  but if I had one I would NOT run it on Prosynth purely because you are the expert on Lasers and you say they won't like it. 

However, for all of my other engines, Prosynth is the fuel of choice.  Having discovered it over 23 years ago, it has stood the test of time and has proven itself to be a fabulous fuel. 

I have been playing with engines for more than 60 years. 

Prior to using Prosynth, my engines would wear out.  Typically, the bearings would be the first items to fail. I put it down to the usual wear and tear of engine life. 

But with Prosynth, no problems. 

I guess we will simply have to agree to disagree. 

• Like 6

Just fired up the Saito for the first time with Laser 5.

Started straight away but loads of smoke and oil/fuel splattered over the wing. The needle valve was 2 1/2 turns from closed so I guess it’s firing too rich so I wound it in a full turn. 

• Like 1