Has anyone tried these new Molicell P45B Li-Ion batteries?

leccyflyer

• 7 months later...
On 10/03/2023 at 07:15, Ron Gray said:

My flying buddy Mark has been watching this guy for a couple of years now and has just started to build his own packs so will know, first hand, what they are like in a week or so.

Hi Ron

Have you got any feedback on the performance of Molicel packs? Regards 

I've tested a 6s pack in an EDF I've got, model on a 6s 3700 mah lipo pulls over 90amps, on the 6s Molicell this drops to just below 80 amps, they do run hotter than a high C lipo, so make sure you have adequate cooling. Still fly my FMS Hawk OK, only done a few flights over summer, due to the weather preventing us from keeping our patch suitable for EDFs. I bought them off BMFA advert from Nick and made up a configuration that fitted in my model, you'll need to check if they will fit as the pack dimensions will be different from a typical lipo pack. Photo shows my pack against a 6s lipo, the Molicel is quite a bit lighter.

20231017_110602.thumb.jpg.676d8cf644d6f7cf355a4d036942116a.jpg

Put a couple of 2s packs in my mates large scale (28%) FW190 to power Rx and HV servos and they have been fine in this application 

• 2 months later...

As Ron mentioned my battery pack project took a back seat for a while.

I can report that a Molicel P45B pack configured to 7S2P (7s 9000mah) flies fantastic in a 90mm EDF when we tested it yesterday.

I chose 7 cells because the ESC can handle it and I wasn't sure how the lithiums would sag under load. The lithium pack gave me more power and a longer flight time, I landed after 9 minutes of mixed flying and used 6000mah so could squeeze more out of it if I wanted.

Telemetry shows the pack temperature reached about 35c in flight, they're rated to 60c

Field charged at 20 amps using a lipo profile.

A very successful outcome.

Ron may have a flight video 😀

IMG20240102182510.jpg

IMG20240113145425.jpg

liion amps.png

liion voltage.png

liion mph.png

• Like 1

I can vouch for the performance of this battery 'bomb' but I gave up filming the flight because it was boring as no smoke was emitted. Given the way that Mark flies his Viper I reckon he will easily get a 12 minute flight from the pack which includes quite a few 'turn and burn' passes plus, and this is where this pack scores, some 'pedal to the metal' vertical climbs.

A really successful outcome (and dare I say it extremely well made by Mark).

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Mark Allen 1 said:

on mentioned my battery pack project took a back seat for a while.

I can report that a Molicel P45B pack configured to 7S2P (7s 9000mah) flies fantastic in a 90mm EDF when we tested it yesterday.

I chose 7 cells because the ESC can handle it and I wasn't sure how the lithiums would sag under load. The lithium pack gave me more power and a longer flight time, I landed after 9 minutes of mixed flying and used 6000mah so could squeeze more out of it if I wanted.

Telemetry shows the pack temperature reached about 35c in flight, they're rated to 60c

Field charged at 20 amps using a lipo profile.

A very successful outcome.

Ron may have a flight video 😀

IMG20240102182510.jpg

IMG20240113145425.jpg

liion amps.png

liion voltage.png

liion mph.png

Hi Mark

Thank you for the update. I also bought a 6S 4500 MAH Molycell pack from the chap advertising on BMFA Classified. I also have 6S 5000Mah LIPO as back up. I am planning to use it on my Lysander that I am refurbishing and converting to electric. See photos below. I will give feedback after testing - if the weather permits..

Molycell pack is 460gr vs 720gr of 2 x2500 LIPOs (in parallel) to give 5000 MAH.

20240114_112622.jpg

20240115_094626.jpg

20240115_095103.jpg      20240114_113345.jpg

Edited by Murat Kece 1
  • Like 1