First taste of the sky

toto

So so so pleased for you Toto, your patience and tenacity has been rewarded. 😁

That feeling of your first landing is fantastic and a big milestone, onwards and upwards. 👍

• Like 2

Advert

Can't wait for next weekend ..... praying for the correct weather conditions and will be gutted it they don't deliver.

The landings yesterday, whilst always part of my progression wishlist, we're actually a bit unexpected. I thought that because I had missed a few weeks that I would have set myself back a bit. Previously, I was making some school boy howlers on even the basics ...... getting my left and right coordination wrong whilst flying towards me ..... which always brasses me off. .... yesterday...... none of that .... it just seemed to come together almost immediately. 

My mentor always gives me constructive feedback at the end of a flight and the flying day. Yesterday, his best comment ( forgetting the actual landings themselves ) was that my coordination issues had virtually gone. I had not even picked up on that as I was too busy getting high from the landings. He was also happy with the way that I controlled the attitude of the model whilst being pulled about in the cross winds, managing to keep the model flying in a straight line in the direction wanted. 

As much as I would have preferred to have a calm day, I was glad to have experienced the windy conditions because as my mentor pointed out, you have to be able to maintain control in all conditions. ..... fair point.

The last two flights, the wind was all but gone really. The approaches were intentional and I discussed the fact that I was going to do this with my mentor as the moment arrived, but the 1st landing was more a spur of the moment decision which I sort of " just announced " and before there was too much time to potentially " overthink " it, it was over.  I'm not sure I gave my mentor any real time to object or suggest that maybe I was not up to it although I suppose he could have taken back control if he didn't think it was a great idea.:classic_laugh:

The good thing is, in my mind, that my mentor is a very positive and progressive thinking person and once you have successfully managed a certain skill, it's really more or less one that you Immediately own from now on, unless there are maybe special circumstances ( adverse weather or you drop a bollock ).

There is still a long way to go and nothing perfected as yet but I'm inching my way forward to becoming solo and catapulting my potential for flying hours and quicker progression.

Bring it on.

Toto 

• Like 1

OK...... what's next .....

I have achieved the very basics of what I need to fly.

I need to perfect them but you don't learn a new trick one week and achieve perfection the next ..... that's a life lond endeavour. For me, I think the next few weeke are all about consolidation. ....... more of the same to enable me to reach a level of consistency.

I think exactly more of the same for another week or two then I would like to introduce low fly passes and touch and goes. My reasoning being that apart from the buzz of flying lower, the practical element that should you want to abort an approach or landing for whatever reason, you are well versed on how to do it.

Due to the nature of landing .... the decent, the decrease in throttle and by default reducing the lift applied to the underside of the wings, the process to pull out has to be in the correct order ...... don't jump for the elevator as in absence of sufficient lift ..... the plane will stall. ..... add in the throttle which will assist an ascent and mix in the elevator ....... if I am correct.

I am not sure what you have to be able to pull off to achieve solo status but I would imagine its a demonstration of sufficient control to enable a safe ascent and decent. Some basic circuits but no stunts or gimmicks required at this stage.

I'm not even remotely interested in loops and rolls at the moment although I have achieved loops intentionally and a roll which was only on the simulator.

I would be quite happy to fly solo to do the basics and when I think its time to add another dimension ..... its time to get back on the buddy box. ..... I think its a plan.

Toto

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, toto said:

I would like to introduce low fly passes and touch and goes.

IMO that is not the correct way to progress! Consolidation of what you have been doing with particular emphasis on level flight control and neatly executed rectangular flying circuits (downwind parallel to take off leg and consistent height) together with figure of 8’s (same size circles irrespective of wind direction) should be your aim! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

IMO that is not the correct way to progress! Consolidation of what you have been doing with particular emphasis on level flight control and neatly executed rectangular flying circuits (downwind parallel to take off leg and consistent height) together with figure of 8’s (same size circles irrespective of wind direction) should be your aim! 

I totally agree, practice towards an A certificate, and also fly circuits in the opposite direction, do not get "handed".

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

Consolidation of what you have been doing with particular emphasis on level flight control and neatly executed rectangular flying circuits (downwind parallel to take off leg and consistent height) together with figure of 8’s (same size circles irrespective of wind direction) should be your aim! 

This was drilled into me for months, practiced in all weather conditions and has paid off.

Find out what you need to fly solo at your club and concentrate on that as once you’ve achieved this your flying window opens up.

Edited by PDB

Posted (edited)

I get the idea but do you have to be executing perfect circuits before being able to fly solo ?

Is the idea of flying solo quickly not to wean yourself off your mentor a bit and allow more flying time to then dress up your flying patterns ? You could possibly relieve your instructor of some of his time and practice the more mundane repetitive techniques unassisted.

I also have Philip's point of" being handed " and can't agree more as one of the things that I was guilty of yesterday was that all of my circuits were done right handed turns. Something that I thought of earlier today. I already have it in mind to remedy that next week by doing a mix of both right and left handed circuits with some procedural turns thrown in forgot measure. All of which I have done before.

Just a thought not trying to kick back on good advise. I'm happy to do whatever but conscious of the amount of flying time being given up by my mentor. ..... not that he seems to mind. 

At the end of the day ..... as always ......I'll never try to override the decision of my mentor. I am not meaning to sound impatient either. Just thinking ahead as to how to best map out my next progressive move.

Thanks for all the comments.

Toto 

Edited by toto
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, toto said:

I get the idea but do you have to be executing perfect circuits before being able to fly solo ?

Ask your instructor what’s required for you to be signed off for solo flying as I guess each club will have it’s own requirements.

My club signed me off for solo flying before I did my A, what they expected was a very safe approach to flying and a reasonable standard of take offs, circuits and landings.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

Being able to perform well executed circuits and fig 8’s will get you flying solo long before low passes and touch and goes will and those skills are the bedrock for everything else.

Yes, pretty much agree with that. Accurate circuit flying and keeping the model positioned where YOU want it is so important at the moment. Mix and match - half a dozen RH circuits and then the same the other way. A couple of lower passes now and again to keep things interesting. Why not throw in a loop? Figure 8s superimposed over each other as best as you can are a good challenge even for experienced pilots. Develops your peripheral vision while keeping your main attention on the model.

Take it steady and don't rush things.

Safe solo standard when your mates don't all land when you say you're going to have a flight .......😁

• Haha 1

Don't forget you need to drill yourself so that SWEETS becomes the first thing you do when you arrive at your field.  Next, make sure your preflight check is carried out in the same order every time -.if you vary it, you will forget something.  

All of the actions needed to get you from the pits to the flight line, your pre-take off checks including checking the whole sky not just in front of you, communicating your intentions with other pilots in the box at all times.  

If you want to demonstrate control there is nothing more difficult than flying perfect rectangular circuits as Ron has already explained.  If you can fly 2 identical circuits you hsve demonstrated full control of the aircraft particularly if you have a cross wind component and have flown all 4 legs accurately compensating for the wind's effects.

After that, I would start on basic aerobatics as that will get you used to controlling your aircraft when it's in an unusual position, talking of which getting used to flying inverted is also very good practice - but start at height!  Try and drill into yourself to roll upright if things get uncomfortable and resist the panic of just pulling up elevator!

Finally, het used to having a plan for every flight and carry it out.  Don't get into the  habit of just boring holes in the sky aimlessly till the battery alarm sounds.  You will find it much more interesting and you will progress faster.

• Like 3

Don't forget Toto, after all the building, prep, training, bad weather, money spent, club rules, CAA regs etc etc and that eventual triumphal solo status, you can enjoy the hobby like these 'experienced experts' that I just came across.

I've not laughed so much for ages. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76ewFL1PERA

Puts things into perspective to some extent I think.

Thanks for the video Cuban8, I'll book myself a slot for the 2024 edition. :classic_laugh:

Some crazy stuff there and all seem to be delighted to lose their models in some cases. Good fun at somebody else's expense for a change. :classic_laugh:

Toto

• Haha 1

Hi Learner,

Watched the BMFA video again as its been a while. It is pretty useful both from a flying ele,ent point of view and the pre and post flight checks. I'm a bit away from that yet but it is my ultimate target. I'll also need to swat up on the potential theoretical questions that could be asked. It's been a while since I've looked at that.

A bit to go yet.

Toto

18 hours ago, toto said:

Hi Learner,

Watched the BMFA video again as its been a while. It is pretty useful both from a flying ele,ent point of view and the pre and post flight checks. I'm a bit away from that yet but it is my ultimate target. I'll also need to swat up on the potential theoretical questions that could be asked. It's been a while since I've looked at that.

A bit to go yet.

Toto

If you've done the BMFA online RCC test, then the questions on the day should only be about checking the model and club specific rules. 

On 31/03/2024 at 14:31, PDB said:

Ask your instructor what’s required for you to be signed off for solo flying as I guess each club will have it’s own requirements.

My club signed me off for solo flying before I did my A, what they expected was a very safe approach to flying and a reasonable standard of take offs, circuits and landings.

100% agree with the above.

Our club has it's own proficiency test so people can fly solo to practice for the A test.

The requirement is to fly safely, within the allowed boundaries, reasonable take offs (no 60 degree climb outs) and safe landings on our rather tight strip. If calls are not made then the candidate fails the test.

3 flights required so a single erroneous flight does not make a fail unless it is dangerous, like wise a single brilliant flight will not cover two poor ones.

While you may have made a couple of landings in good weather which is excellent, wait until the gods are not working with you and things do not work out.

So practice, more and more.

Circuits can be boring but set yourself challenges for each flight to keep the interest.

Nail a particular position in the sky with reference to ground features for turns - both entry and exit points. Now do this multiple times keeping your height too - not quite so easy to get it bang on each time. As you have said, this needs to be practised in different directions.

With nailed take offs, circuits and landings - this will be your fall back point when you do progress to other manoeuvrers which may not work quite how you expect them to.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Andy Gates said:

100% agree with the above.

Our club has it's own proficiency test so people can fly solo to practice for the A test.

The requirement is to fly safely, within the allowed boundaries, reasonable take offs (no 60 degree climb outs) and safe landings on our rather tight strip. If calls are not made then the candidate fails the test.

3 flights required so a single erroneous flight does not make a fail unless it is dangerous, like wise a single brilliant flight will not cover two poor ones.

While you may have made a couple of landings in good weather which is excellent, wait until the gods are not working with you and things do not work out.

So practice, more and more.

Circuits can be boring but set yourself challenges for each flight to keep the interest.

Nail a particular position in the sky with reference to ground features for turns - both entry and exit points. Now do this multiple times keeping your height too - not quite so easy to get it bang on each time. As you have said, this needs to be practised in different directions.

With nailed take offs, circuits and landings - this will be your fall back point when you do progress to other manoeuvrers which may not work quite how you expect them to.

Andy

I don't know if you are talkjng about the A test being spread over 3 flights.  If that's what you meant then I'm afraid that's wrong.  The BMFA Achievement Scheme test has to be done in one flight.  If you fail, albeit you may be asked to repeat.one or more but not all manoeuvres, you are allowed one more attempt that day.  The Achievement Scheme booklet on the Power Fixed Wing tests is very clear on this point.  Also, if you pass the flight test you must also pass the pre and post flight checks and the questions.  You can be failed if you are unaware of the requirements.  There is no question of doing three tests.  It is not up to the Club Examiner to make changes to a National Scheme.

If you were referring to Club sign off to fly solo, then that is entirely up to the club.

I like your clubs approach to solo competency Andy.

In my mind, I had a similar take on what you should be able to do to achieve solo status in terms of .... take off's, circuits and landings. .... safely of course. 

Whilst there are other manoeuvres that could be included, they are maybe not necessary at this point as my ambition for flying solo is purely to be able to attain more flying time than I would get with my mentor with the sole purpose of improvement towards the A test.

I also understand the need to try some of the other manoeuvres that may put you in a trickier position in the air and the need to be able to recover from them. My solo intention would be to practice the basics ..... take off's, circuits and landings then start jntroducing other elements from time to time for which I would ask my mentor to buddy me again for those sessions until I have a good grasp of them.

I think that sounds like a reasonable sensible approach slowly drip feeding new elements into my routine flights being buddies as required but not being totally time reliant on my mentor for everything. Of course the permission to fly / train solo can be rebuffed as easily as it can be granted giving the constant motivation to keep flying safely.

However ...... back to the original point being made ....... its all down to the club rules ..... they are there for the safety of us all.

Toto