Seagull Models at heavily discounted prices

JulianJ

Yeah. I'm totally fresh but it can sit there for as long as it has to. Not in any rush to fly it. 

My preference will be hi wing and of course ..... bi wing. I've bought my share for now so there will be no more for a while.the focus will be on my carbon cub.

Toto

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Don Fry said:

Agree, dog rough flying. 2 controls used from overfast start to arrival.

35 minutes ago, toto said:

Yeah. I'm totally fresh but it can sit there for as long as it has to. Not in any rush to fly it. 

My preference will be hi wing and of course ..... bi wing. I've bought my share for now so there will be no more for a while.the focus will be on my carbon cub.

Toto

I wasn't criticizing the flying, I was smiling at toto's optimism buying such a plane after just two lessons. No offence intended at all, @toto, but it takes a fair bit of stick time to learn the muscle memory and orientation skills to fly an aerobatic plane! You'll soon be there as you have the enthusiasm.

14 hours ago, toto said:

That nearly depressed the life out of me. I just paid £371.00 for a seagull fasten skybolt.

As much as I would love these pieces to have been true for the sake of other modellers, if true ...... the words " depth of despair " ring a bell.

Toto

Well my 2 Seagull models have been fine. Neither too heavy nor poor flyers. I like my Seagull Chipmunk a lot. It's got a 125 4 stroke engine and hasn't had any structural problems.

I didn't realise that bi-planes would be compared to helicopters in terms of complexity or as difficult to fly. I actually assumed the opposite. Take speed and aerobatic manouvres out of the equation and I thought the mix of high wing ( element ) and the overall increase in wing surface area may have made them more stable in normal flight.

I'm happy achieving sedate flying abilities with all my models but should through the passage of time and with growing experience I want to push my skills a bit further, out come the trainer. I appreciate it will have much simpler flying characteristics to a bi-plane and will handle completely differently in certain situations but for any experimentation, it would be the first port of call.

There is nothing to say that training is necessarily over or " beyond my ego " once I have managed the basics. Hopefully other bi-plane operators will be available for some advice and the buddy box could spring back into action.

I may just end up with many broken models.

Toto

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

One thing flying a high wing is the visualization in the air, low wing is another step, but Bi-planes are similar

to helicopters, and they can be a disaster.

I've beeen flying a bi plane solidly for the last 2 years and have no idea or experience of what this is trying to say, if it's trying to say that they look the same whichever way up then so do mid wing models (which is all you Edge, Extra's etc) but the undercariage generally points to the underside to give you a clue if needed, (at least before a crash anyway). In my experience there really is no difference flying a bip compared to a monoplane. 

Biplanes are no more difficult to fly than monoplanes, it is just the type of biplane you have chosen a chunky powerful aerobatic type. Things like DH Moths from the 30's or WW1 one types like the Sopwith Pup or semiscale versions of like the Flair Puppeteer are straight forward. The things to be aware of are they tend to slow down quicker when you close the throttle and most types have narrow UC and like to take off and land into wind.

• Like 1

Quite a broad spectrum of comments / opinions. No different from other questions raised on the forum I suppose. I think most of the models outside of proper training models ( if we could give a definitive opinion of what these should be and get agreement ) are to be sensible, outside of the ideal model for most beginners. It sort of makes sense. But even some of the models like the Steen Skybolt which may be more reserved for the more seasoned modeller, could be flown successfully by so e of the less experienced if not flow like they have just stole it. 

Everyone wants to progress at some point, it's just down to how risk averse you are.

The only reason that I let myself buy ahead is that even though I am nowhere near ready to fly these models, there is nothing stopping me from enjoying the build and setting up of them a bit closer to the time. The timing suits me with regards to budget, I am lucky enough that I had the brownie point good boy tokens to justify putting the cash out on them at the moment. ..... strike whilst the irons hot. :classic_biggrin:

Now ..... where has that more sensible, sedate and hopefully more forgiving and reassuring carbon cub kit went to. That will be the victim of my first build once the shed / workshop has been tidied up this weekend.

Happy flying

Toto

• Like 1

I have always thought that fun fly types like the Limbo Dancer, or Weston Cougar 2000 are good to move onto after trainers. Their large wing area keeps the speed down [not to much engine ] and the large control surfaces give positive action even at low speeds, limit the movement on rates and flight can be quite tame.

You will also find you will have a point and go plane that keeps going in the direction you left it pointing and not trying to level itself off like most trainers.

Edited by J D 8
Baby grand daughter pressed button on laptop halfway through post.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, paul devereux said:

The website looks legit, all the links work, etc.

They accept credit cards by VISA and MasterCard, so chargeback will provide a refund if they are not.

If the site is still up in a week, I think I'll take a punt.

Really? 

.....and perhaps buy a set of £450 skis for £90 at the same time. You can at https://www.officialskis.com/ which shares the same address and is pretty much another copy & paste scam. 

You can always call them 'If you have any questions feel free to give us a call between the hours of 8 am to 5 pm CST M-F.'

(see their T&C's) oh, but you can't as there is no phone number. But why would they want you to call them Central Standard Time if they are in Birmingham?

Page one of this thread gives plenty more clues as to the nature of the site.

But if you want to pass all your personal and card details on to them so that they can be sold on the dark web, please proceed. 

• Like 5

Looks like the sort of pop-up website that hoovers in a lot of orders before the Credit card company gets wise; then relies on a few people who forget to claim a refund via the credit card chargeback scheme.
Shame, it does look very, very tempting, but not for me!

Another red light for me is, that there are no stock levels shown and nothing appears to be out of stock.

Good luck if you do take a punt but I think not!

Edited by Keith Billinge
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Keith Billinge said:

Looks like the sort of pop-up website that hoovers in a lot of orders before the Credit card company gets wise; then relies on a few people who forget to claim a refund via the credit card chargeback scheme.
Shame, it does look very, very tempting, but not for me!

Another red light for me is, that there are no stock levels shown and nothing appears to be out of stock.

Good luck if you do take a punt but I think not!

Good thinking! Every other models shop is out of at least something.

When you are flying a biplane with the sun in front of you it's only a black shadow, a left turn can also be interpreted as a right turn, and the wrong

input( opposite ) will send it in, Our President did it twice last year, the second his VQ saito powered Tiger Moth, maybe you don't have the dangerous ingredient the 'Sun',,,

This threads doing some flitting about. Biplanes ? They throw different challenges your way, different types vary in the challenges they set, pretty much like high/low wing models do, that's the fun of what they/we do.

Orientation and sun or leaden skys, all models chuck that one our way at times, you want real fun, buy an heli. 🤔

5 hours ago, John Lee said:

Really? 

.....and perhaps buy a set of £450 skis for £90 at the same time. You can at https://www.officialskis.com/ which shares the same address and is pretty much another copy & paste scam. 

You can always call them 'If you have any questions feel free to give us a call between the hours of 8 am to 5 pm CST M-F.'

(see their T&C's) oh, but you can't as there is no phone number. But why would they want you to call them Central Standard Time if they are in Birmingham?

Page one of this thread gives plenty more clues as to the nature of the site.

But if you want to pass all your personal and card details on to them so that they can be sold on the dark web, please proceed. 

Don't forget the American spelling through out the site.

And here's another using the same address https://www.nashfishing.com/contact-us/