Clevis Tool

Andy J

Noticed on the Scratch Built SE5a thread Greyhead46 had a natty tool for opening sprung clevis, see page 8, although the picture is not the best. Given that I am all fingers and thumbs fitting or adjusting sprung metal clevis both 2 and 3mm types it got me wondering how others solve the issue.

Tried a flat screwdriver on many occasions but that's not the best and a slip can easily damage any covering in proximity to the clevis.

According to their website

S524 Sullivan Clevis Tool, a simple, inexpensive tool to open clevises easily. A magnetized slot holds the clevis retaining clip in place, the tab assists in installing and removing retaining clips, and the inset sections will hold the clevis open while installing in model.

Personally I've just always used the inset sections, to lever the clevis jaws apart and keep them there when installing the clevis. I tend not to use Sullivan clevises, but the tool works great on other brands.

To save the grief of fitting and removing clevises multiple times during initial set up I use a clevis with the hole side cut off, when the correct length is achieved I wind the locknut up to the clevis to mark its position, then fit an unmodified clevis (once). 

I must stress that this is for workshop use only, I posted this on another forum and the readers didn't note what I had written, getting very negative about flying with half a clevis.

I found some Multiplex clevises in a Multiplex glider that didn't have a pin, just two half spheres that gripped the holes in the servo arm, not seen them before and removed them quietly.

20200611_103608611_iOS.thumb.jpg.e20bf029a4ad4ae5190d4ad1f5672b02.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Gary Binnie said:

To save the grief of fitting and removing clevises multiple times during initial set up I use a clevis with the hole side cut off, when the correct length is achieved I wind the locknut up to the clevis to mark its position, then fit an unmodified clevis (once). 

I must stress that this is for workshop use only, I posted this on another forum and the readers didn't note what I had written, getting very negative about flying with half a clevis.

I found some Multiplex clevises in a Multiplex glider that didn't have a pin, just two half spheres that gripped the holes in the servo arm, not seen them before and removed them quietly.

20200611_103608611_iOS.thumb.jpg.e20bf029a4ad4ae5190d4ad1f5672b02.jpg

That's a great idea Gary, thanks for sharing 👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Collinson said:

£45 seems a bit steep.   Paul d T, I have tried with a ground down screwdriver but it can slip too readily.

At $3 US, if I get my son to bring a handful back from L.A. in June, is there an appetite for the proper Sullivan ones?

BTC

Please count me in Bruce for 1.

1 hour ago, Ron Gray said:

3D printed version?

Great idea Ron if you already have a printer . Fortune for a 3D printer ?

Or do as I did  buy and set up a milling machine to make a replacement  crankcase that was unavailable/extinct .cost when available was about £30. Ended up costing  nearer to £1000 for that crankcase but enjoyed the experience and still have the mill etc  😀 and new skills to make and repair other things👍 . It must be a mdeller thing .

Edited by Engine Doctor

23 minutes ago, Engine Doctor said:
1 hour ago, Ron Gray said:

Great idea Ron if you already have a printer

Well we are a community and there are 3D printer owners, me being one! As a result I just knocked up this one for either 2 or 3mm clevis:

F37C76D0-DD59-4045-BA0B-17C66E3AC0B6.thumb.jpeg.0b6d54669da39539eeaad06e4aa98ab6.jpeg

97778519-2E7E-45B6-8107-E4E1FA2B8050.thumb.jpeg.96c2171ba762a9c2c026b0bae7eb358a.jpeg

E3ACF4D9-0E9C-46B4-B865-566A31EEB488.thumb.jpeg.e296e23dd386bfac3d70f2b4fce09de8.jpeg

Edited by Ron Gray
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1