Fuel Pumps (Glow)

Robert Welford

I have used Kavan fuel pumps for a quite a few years. However, I've got through 3 in the last 12 months or so.

My current pump has started to  aerate the fuel so the pump rate is abysmal. Has anyone else experienced issues with Kavan pumps?

What other fuel pumps are there that are potentially more reliable? Should I go mechanical?

Any experience/advice appreciated.

BTW I use a Jersey Modeler fuel caddy for petrol and have had no problems.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Robert Welford said:

Has anyone else experienced issues with Kavan pumps?

I have one which I use for glow. It started acting up last year (or the year before?) and I replaced the seals. It was still a bit temperamental (sometimes it seems to suck air in from somewhere), so I went back to a hand pump. I may give it another go next time I fly glow.

My Kavan packed up after about a year, out of warranty of course.   It’s still glowering at me in the Mancave, with warranty seals all over the bolt heads and I’ll dismantle it now I’ve been reminded.   Nothing to lose.

The cheap and cheerful replacement is still going strong after about 5 years.

BTC

At our field we have had a spate of failures with Dubro and even a Prolux hand pump used with glow and Petrol. Most of the cases the gear wheels started jamming up (when used with glow) and with Petrol the pump would not prime until the fuel container was pressurized some way to force the fuel to reach the pump and it would work thereafter.  Similarly yet another make (I forget which one) would have intermittent operation when the gear would slip. Frustrating to say the least.

On the other hand my first hand crank fuel pump was the black oval one sold by Tower Hobbies in US under their own brand name and gave a long service until my curiosity made me open it up to check how it worked and though the pump worked after I reassembled it, it started leaking. Same pump (minus the tower brand sticker) that came fitted with Jersey Modeller glow can has been performing faultlessly for almost a decade plus now. For Petrol I bought a DLE hand pump and it has been working fine.  Price is reflected in it's sturdy metal build quality.       

Edited by Manish Chandrayan

Dave Brown Six-Shooter hand pump. Had mine for at least twenty years, maybe longer - never had a moments trouble with it - simple principle of operation - never had to do anything to it except use it. Have mine mounted on the outside of my flight box.

Not expensive and I'd never bother with any other type - had 'em all over the years and they all eventually leaked or busted.

Six-Shooters available from Sussex Model Centre for twenty quid - probably others if you search.

https://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/products/dave-brown-six-shooter-fuel-pump-gas-petrol-diesel

Edited by Cuban8

On 10/05/2023 at 14:57, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Maybe your Methanol pumps are suffering from the absence of the magic oil, "Castor",,,😆

You may have a valid point there . Now that I come to think of it, yes haven't used much of castor based fuel. But then on the other hand the black oval one that's fixed to the Jersey Modeller can has not seen any castor based fuel either and has given no issues 

On 09/05/2023 at 15:24, Ron Gray said:

I've never used an electric fuel pump as I like to know how much fuel I've used (based on number of turns to fill the tanks from empty vs number of turns to refill). How do you do that with any electric pump?

When i fly glow i do the same.  Im actually just getting back into glow models and am using a hand pump again for this reason. One can time an electric pump of course but nothing as satisfyingly accurate as the gentle grind of a pump full of fuel being mentally counted off.

• Like 1