Horizon Hobby Sport Cub S 2 ( amazing little piece of kit )

toto

well .... tonight I decided in order to get some stick time to take my Horizon Hobby Sport Cub S 2 over to the local field. it falls under the CAA weights 250g to allow you to fly unaided.

What a blast ........ absolutely great fun. 

I had 3 charged batteries which can .... depending how you fly .... give you, easily , 15 mins ( and more ) sky time.

I paired this with my NX8 ..... very easily done, then took to the field armed with three fully charged batteries.

No nerves whatso ever as I had just watched how easy it was on a Utube video ... and their advice did not let me down. 

Battery connected, throttle set to about 1/3 power ....... hand launch ..... and away it goes. phenominal !!!!!!!

I stayed up in the air doing figure 8's .... regular rectangular circuits and practicing gaining and losing altitude etc ... in a controlled and, dare I say it , visually pleasing manner.

I landed a couple of times just to try it out and although the grass was reasonably short, maybe not short enough for a rolling landing, more a little abrupt. this thing can take all you can throw at it as there was about 2 slightly less than perfect landings which Imput down to the length of the grass but a sturdy little beggar it is.

I had a brilliant time. I went to change the battery ...... and noticed that it was not liking the second battery I set up. So ..... I tried the third ...... same thing. Mmmmmm. On closer inspection, it looks like on the on board plug that the battery plugs into had somehow lost one of its pins ..... or at least, thats the way it looks. devastated. Unfortunately that brought about a premature end to my impromtu nights flying.

I need to look at this plug and determine if I am right and one of the connection pins has come off or not. ..... thats the way it looks. A bit disappointing so early in the proceedings to have a potential repair. Surely these connectors should be more robust than that.

Anyway ...... an absolute hoot of a time. Can't wait to find out how to resolve the above issue and get it air bourne again. Absolutely limitless time added to my stick time whilst I await my official training slots.

toto 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Advert

Hi Paul.

you can buy it RTF which comes with a TX or .... a BNF , which was my option as I didn't see the wisdom in paying extra for the TX when they state that you can bind it with your own. the binding process was quick and easy and they give you the advise on how to set it up with regards to being able to flick between begginer, intermediate and advanced modes as well as using the Bind button as a kind of panic auto leveling button which to be honest ..... i never got round to trying. 

A great little model that just exudes confidence. I flicked between all 3 available modes and managed comfortably with all 3. Albeit I never really done anything stupid to test it. ....... I was getting around to that. 😄

I hope I can get this sorted quick as I think I could see my self being out most nights in between my weekend schedules.

great stuff

toto 

Hi Frank,

didn't realise that. I thought that the 250g was a kind of restriction. It maybe the case that once happy with my ability, I could use my Carbon Cub likewise then. that is a fairly light weight trainer as well although seriously heavier than the sports cub.

i am still having issues with the Carbon cub getting it to bind and getting the TX to control it. not to happy with it so would not risk it for now until I am happy that its working right. I may scrub it from my TX and try again. My Instructor can't seem to get it working correct either.

I had another attempt at it tonight but no joy. I have followed the instructions to the letter as well ..... but it remains a mystery for now.

cheers

toto

Hi early bird,

One step ahead of you there. This has been checked and unless my eyesight is playing tricks on me, it definitely looks like it's missing. 

Colin, I would be in favour of putting a more robust connection in but dont fancy messing with the battery. I'm not sure if a replacement nano connection would simply be a crimp on affair. 

Maybe time to call my dealer.

Toto

Just had a search on the internet,

Wheelspin models sell spares. £4 odds each. Bought a couple just in case but I'll look into a more permanent alternative as this has been too easy to happen for my liking. Hope their delivery times are good. Cant wait to get back out with it.

Cheers

Toto

I'll see how I get on after swapping out the leads once the replacements arrive ( hopefully not too long ). I can just cut out the existing knackered connection and make a soldered joint covered with shrink wrap.

I am also going to perceiver with getting the Carbon Cub 1.3m BNF working and set up properly.

I have come across a very good video on utube which shows both the setting up and binding procedure between the Carbon cub BNF ( not ARTF as other do ) and the NX8 which is my actual receiver. 

It should be a case of copying it blow for blow. It means that all the safe systems are active but can be disabled using the three position " skill " switch which is also demonstrated on the video.

I am going to try this tonight hopefully and if I pull it off ....... it's going airborne over in my local field.

Toto 

Edited by toto

28 minutes ago, Basil said:

How do you get on with your BMFA insurance?. Are you covered for such a model especially flying solo without passing your test.

Bas

I doubt whether park flyers are insured, not with such small light models.  Same with most people with drones, kites, free flight models, dogs, and playing ball games in parks. I can't see it is in our interest to introduce more obstacles and red tape, either.

Just checked the weight ...... 1023g and that's with the supplied 3s battery.

A little outside the 750g which I was under the impression was a threshold for unattended flying. As has been said earlier in the thread though, I think I may have misinterpreted it a bit. This figure is about registering for an operators license.

I need to check 5o make sure that I stay on the 4ight side of things.

Cheers

Toto

5 minutes ago, toto said:

A little outside the 750g which I was under the impression was a threshold for unattended flying. As has been said earlier in the thread though, I think I may have misinterpreted it a bit. This figure is about registering for an operators license.

Cheers

Toto

I trust that you already have a valid Operator ID number via the CAA and the OP ID affixed to your over 250g models? 

Hi Philip,

When I 1st visited my local club, they informed me that my 1st 3 lessons would be free with no compulsion to join. The club would cover any insurances for this 3 visit trial period.

After that however, I 2ould be required to join either the LMA or the BMFA in order to satisfy insurance purposes 2hich I understood 5o be necessary 2hilst training for my as cert.

I have only followed the advice given. My " advisor " tended to lean towards the LMA so I followed suit. I was only really interested in ensuring that I ticked the boxes for insurance and knowing what path I would be following with regards to getting my necessary competence certificates.

As far as I am aware its neither here nor there if you are actually flying in large scale or not. 

I took the advice at face value. 

Toto

Edited by toto

1 hour ago, Basil said:

How do you get on with your BMFA insurance?. Are you covered for such a model especially flying solo without passing your test.

Bas

20 minutes ago, toto said:

Cheers

Toto

Gents, before you go flying again, I suggest you refresh yourself on the key aspects of flying legally, as doing so remains your personal responsibility no matter what advise you have received from others. All of the key info is in the Drone Code publication from the CAA (and elsewhere on their website as well):

https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/drone-code/the_drone_code.pdf

Key points

• There is no legal requirement to be a member of a national association, be insured or have a national association qualification or achievement to fly solo, though the first two are highly sensible. Most clubs will require national association membership, and many will also add an A cert as a requirement to fly solo, but that is their decision, not the law.
  • However, if you are flying under one of the Article 16 operational exemptions granted to the BMFA or other national association you will need to read, understand and meet all the requirements listed within them to fly legally. 

Read this BMFA site for more on their article 16 auth....

https://rcc.bmfa.uk/article-16

...and the LMA equivalent...

https://www.largemodelassociation.com/resources/article16/

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1

Hi Alan,

I have both my operators ID and flyers ID and fully insured.

I have the operators ID insure the canopy of my Beaver ( the canopy operates on a sprung loaded toggle switch so no special tools require to open and view it ) 

I will do the same with my Carbon Cub. I may insert it in the battery box or just stick it to the outside of the model. Either is compliant.

The sport cub 2 does not require the operators Iad to be displayed due to it falling within the 750g limit / restriction.

I think I am compiiant with all but I stand to be corrected. 

Many thanks

Toto

Edited by toto

Thanks Matty,

I actually have article 6 printed off and in the " hand book " that I have started to assemble for myself. Believe it or not, I have read it but I must admit, at the time was reading so much. I may have interpreted it incorrectly.

I will return and re-aquaint myself with it again and probably often from time to time as you tend to need to refresh your understanding now and again.

I thi k I'll stay grounded for now ..... :classic_biggrin:

Toto