Arrows Viper LiPo - opinions sought

Graham Bowers

Self hand launch with a 2200 3S is a decidedly dodgy affair, with some rapid return-to-earth events!. Next size down I have is 1000 3S so a bit small.

Following a successful launch, it flies and lands wonderfully.

What are others using please, or put another way, what's the "sweet spot"?

I'd prefer not to have yet another size of LiPo to manage, but I find myself avoiding flying it, which is a shame.

Right handed Mode 2 flier. Not sure I'd manage a southpaw launch 😉

19 minutes ago, Graham Bowers said:

Self hand launch with a 2200 3S is a decidedly dodgy affair, with some rapid return-to-earth events!. Next size down I have is 1000 3S so a bit small.

I'd prefer not to have yet another size of LiPo to manage, but I find myself avoiding flying it, which is a shame.

Is there much voltage drop when you open the throttle up, would you benefit from a higher C rated battery?

Have you considered catapult launching?

1 hour ago, Graham Bowers said:

I do Underarm launch with 3s 2200 30c no problem, not unlimited vertical but get good 5 min flights not at consistent  full throttle

1 hour ago, Shaun Walsh said:

Is there much voltage drop when you open the throttle up, would you benefit from a higher C rated battery?

Have you considered catapult launching?

Drops to around 11.4 Volts after around 5 to 10 seconds on full throttle. Overlander 35C, not had much hammer. I'll try it with some other lipos I have.

Catapult is a possibility, I'm just benchmarking at the moment.

1 hour ago, Ron Gray said:

4s 1500 for me,  no problems with launch! tried it with 3s, massively underpowered imo.

47 minutes ago, EvilC57 said:

Gaoneng 1550mAh 4S lipos for me. You have to update the ESC though from 30 to 40A. Several have done the 4S update in our club, and they go like stink!

Seems to be a pattern developing for 4S 😉

1 minute ago, Graham Bowers said:

Thanks.

Cg a bit forward with that battery so put a servo next to elevator servo for rudder conversion which helps and allows a slighttly better flight envelope( more accurate vertical, knife edge etc)

1300/1500 3S for me. Easy hand launch at full throttle, aim for flat, very slight up - no dip and if trimmed ok, it'll fly hands off for plenty long enough ... I too am a right handed Mode 2 flyer.

(tried my Viper on 4S, and tbh, didn't think it was any more fun to fly......)

P.S. neither my Viper or Hawk have gyros.

Edited by GrumpyGnome

IMHO, Its important to launch firmly but accurately, so flat to slight up and slightly body side on underarm chuck.

Has to be left hand as right hand has the throttle cut (ready to launch, switch throttle cut off and then chuck) and thumb with full up and ready to correct any role with the ailerons. 

The alternative is put a RX in with gyro and safe. Safe on, full power and lob...once fling straight and level, switch safe off and commence fun 

3s 1500mah for me. Loops easily from level flight, so not what I would call underpowered. I do though use a gyro on launch (Eagle Tree Guardian, 3D HH mode) so that I can give it a good chuck with my right hand, knowing that it will assume the pre-defined attitude, avoiding the need for a frantic grab of the stick. I turn the gyro off as soon as I have both hands on the transmitter. 

Flew mine for a long time on 3s 2200 with no problems but it was set up that by pushing a button on my X20S it gave a small amount of up elevator for launch. Once flying moving the control stick returned the elevator to normal position. I have this setup on my Arrows Hawk as well. It is now flying on a 4s 1800 using the supplied ESC as is my Hawk with no problems but they are very fast on 4s.

• 2 months later...

I do wondewr at a 100/200c rating.

For a 1500mAh battery that would be 150A/300A. I appreciate the higher figure is a burst rate, say 10 seconds?

Nevertheless the 100c 'constant' rate would fully discharge the battery in 36 seconds. The burst rate in only 18!

It does rather show how unrealistic these claimed c rate figures can be.