Re purposing expanded foam packaging

Our planes (and many other items) often come in  big cardboard boxes with expanded foam packing, cardboard is taken at our municipal refuse site for recycling but expanded foam goes to landfill, no way to break its bulk down.

However a pal said the other day he crumbles it then uses it in Planters and flower pots for drainage, a product called Perlite is sold for use in compost to aid drainage , expanded polystyrene I presume.   But is releasing it to the general environment like this any better than landfill?

John - Perlite is just the wee polystyrene beads, but not stuck together . Gardeners definitely do break up polystyrene packaging into bits, which provide drainage in pots, but there's only so much that they need or can use so, as you say much of it goes to landfill. If it were not in such intricate shapes it might have more modelling uses, but you'd struggle to cut a wing out of the bits that surround a fridge, telly or computer.

Perlite isn't polystyrene, it's made from volcanic glass...

https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/what-is-perlite/

It's not a good idea to use crumbled-up polystyrene in gardening, as it will never break down in the soil. Not a problem in a pot perhaps, but if the pot contents are then planted in the garden the polystyrene will remain in the soil. Much like all of the plastic pollution in the oceans.

At least recycled cardboard, moulded into shapes, has partially replaced expanded polystyrene in a lot of packaging. There doesn't seem to be any option to landfill for the used polystyrene packing though.

Brian.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

And wings for control line models, even small RC models.

I shape ( messy ) and use cereal packet cardboard for covering. Quite tough for small models. No balsa involved other than wing tips.

I have some suitable ex packaging long bits which will be hot wire cut for smallish gliders presently In storage waiting there turn.

But yes, what to do with the left overs, usefully for battery box areas etc, but there will be some wastage.

I have seen some youtube videos where the stuff is dissolved and used for alternative purposes, but there will still be some wastage.

Some Rc models have been made from corrugated cardboard board in the past.

Poverty is the mother of invention I was told at an "engineering" exhibition at the nec in the 90's, by a chap who used a scrap mini engine block costing £20 to use as a 4 operation press, hand driven. It worked a treat for his application.

Re use, re purpose, re cycle.

My experiments with yoghurt pot plastic worked but needs further development, to make result more ,"liquid" more castable, less brittle.

Edited by Rich Griff

I wonder what causes more landfill.... polystyrene packaging, or dead foamy models......

Most of my more recent (5 years or so) foam models had minimal polystyrene packaging.  Every single household appliance seems to have loads though.

Presumably, the alternative to landfill is currently an incinerator.  

Yes please, a shower cubical would be great, you want my address ?

Hi Martin, yes please, very interested. Model looks great, with a plan it would very quickly shoot to the top of my "to make" list.

I have lots of foam boosted by a donation from  my really great next door neibours, sheets and sheets of foam that was Gunnar end up in  land fill, what a waste ! They had to move out just before Xmas.

The moron landlord moved them out to sell that house, been empty since Xmas, no takers yet, the really well kept garden is now a jungle, just waiting from the "werethefrwe" tribe to move in.

The last comment will bring a smile to any atc cadet, the "wild west show" song.

Plans for that sloper, yes please.

Thanks.

Edited by Rich Griff

Rich,

The plan is folded and shows a full size nose section, fin and tailplanes along with full size foam cutting templates.

The fuselage and wing are reduced size, but dimensioned. 

Wings, tail and fin are hot wire cut as is the fuselage, but this is done in sections and sanded/shaped to the final curves. The prototype was brown paper and PVA covered, but could also be balsa covered and fibre-glassed for strength before being airbrushed in whatever livery you choose.

Engines are held on with rare earth magnets.

Agreed by I don't know how to PayPal. The lad does but will never use "friends and family" method, ever.

Anyways, if a total cost can be arrived at, I can always send monies to you, even a postal order...

Edited by Rich Griff