Soldering XT90

KenC

Advert

I’ve just spent an afternoon changing from XT60 to 90 for my 5s Miss Wind. Started with the 80 w I used to solder up subCs for electric racing boats. It performed that task with ease ! However , I suspect because of the wide tip I had a really hard job getting the solder to melt through the wires (leaded solder naturally) . Went back to a screwdriver tip 40w which got the heat into the plug connections more easily. They all look ok 🤞🤞Was sweaty with face over the iron in a humid shed 🥵🥵🥵😱😱😱Colin

Ken the soldering iron tip has to store enough heat to quickly transfer it to the job . If heat source is not enough then excessive  heat will soak up the wire or into the plug possibly causing damage. Tin both parts before joining and  plug a socket onto the XT plug to prevent any distortion should the plastic get too hot.

Dont wish to tell you how to suck eggs but remember to remove watches and rings or cover ring with tape to prevent a short .

Edited by Engine Doctor

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Paul Johnson 4 said:

Hi Ken,

I use a 60W iron and as long as you use a Big tip and allow it to heat up first, its fine, like a lot of things size matters........😄

A smaller tip works OK if it's on a temperature controlled iron with sufficient power to keep the temperature high even on a big joint.  My 60w small iron worked OK on XT90s but I have a hefty very old 120w Henley Solon in reserve if I need it though it's physically very big and awkward for battery connectors.

Geoff  I took the concept of " size matters"   and ordered this soldering gun from Ali Express..

image.thumb.png.3e4b1267219e75f44211ada87fb71da2.png

It should be here an a day or two and I will post back about my experience with it. I looked and in the UK these are over £50 .

Said I would come back with my thoughts....    The iron ( gun ) shown above ordered on the 10th  arrived today and I quickly read the instructions and set  to  trying out on a piece of 10 cable as used for XT 90 . Most notable was the gun is supplied in a case with 2 spare tips and both solder and flux.  The instructions quickly point out that unlike a soldering iron where you switch on and then have a coffee while it heats, this thing is plugged in and then heats when the trigger is squeezed.... a process of 4 to 8 seconds . The idea is that you trigger when heat is required for a few seconds at a time.   I waited with the tip against a recently fluxed and stripped half centimeter end of the cable for around 5 seconds and then applied the solder which melted and with the heat against the wire , started to wick into the job.    WOW !   no more five minutes of watching the heat ( energy) do what it should and dissipate down the cable, leaving insufficient heat to migrate the solder into the job.     All for around £25  delivered , wish I had changed to this ages back ...... damn even I can solder !

5 seconds is a quite along time to have the iron on the job if the job is held in a plastic housing. I never got on with the Weller soldering gun - I found that the bit never had the mass that was needed to quickly transfer the heat when soldering up battery packs. so stuck with my Weller 75w iron with hammerhead tip for the job. OTOH my pal Kev used to do everything with his Weller soldering gun and loved it. Different strokes.

The Weller soldering gun was great at cutting out sockets and holes in foam though, using a bent to shape piece of copper wire from heavy duty twin core and earth cable.

• 1 month later...

My experience is only with XT60 but suspect this is even more reverent to XT90.

I recently had to solder some pretty thick wires (on a watt meter) to XT60 and I found that the heat needed was sufficient to slightly melt the plastic housing, enough to make pushing into the mating connector very tight or not possible.

The solution, which I’m sure you all know but was new to me, is to join the two mating connectors before soldering - that way, when the the plastic melts, the mating connector holds the pins in the proper position.

Edited by Nigel Heather

I have a Weller.the instructions say that you should only use it for 5secs every minute. Just does XT60's,( But have to some what ignore the time request)  but does take a few seconds to heat up, just starts to effect the plastic. I would like to purchase a suitable iron, but so far I cant see any suggestions been given the thumbs up.

What about some suggestions!!!!

Bas

4 minutes ago, Basil said:

I have a Weller.the instructions say that you should only use it for 5secs every minute. Just does XT60's,( But have to some what ignore the time request)  but does take a few seconds to heat up, just starts to effect the plastic. I would like to purchase a suitable iron, but so far I cant see any suggestions been given the thumbs up.

What about some suggestions!!!!

Bas

Calm down  - that many exclaimation marks is likely to soften the plastic ;).

There have been lots of suggestions in the thread. Personally I'd completely ditch the notion of having connectors in plastic housings, but if you must have them then its even more important to have an iron with sufficient mass to transfer the heat very quickly and make a good solder joint without having to leave it on the work for more than a few seconds. 5 seconds is a long time, ten seconds is much too long. So, from the suggestions made so far, you would be best served with a decent tip on an iron with >60w power.

• Like 1

Hi Leccy, like your sense of humor. Ok I get the drift,,,,,, A large tip is required. But what irons have large tips, I cant find any that say that. So,,,, its over to person or persons that are able to suggest an iron/s. please . Descriptions for most say ' Comes with a non replaceable bit'.

Bas

The soldering guns don't tend to have large tips, they are all small mass pieces of flat, square section wire, as far as I've seen. They make impressive claims of very high power and rapid heating up, but they aren;t supposed to be on for very long.

My 75w Weller car-boot special has a chunky copper tip about 10mm diameter - the thickness of my little finger - and sufficient mass there that putting it to the work doesn't chill the iron. It's only on there for a second or two, just a touch.

Here's a modern 80w equivalent.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353970777614?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=dGsYz2xWT-y&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=S6bh7olhRJm&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Like 1