Model maintainence stand / cradle

toto

Hi ,

I'm currently scouring the internet looking at the different types of model stands available. 

I am thinking of buying a basic Black and Decker workmate for attaching an Engine test bench to and I'm looking to see if there is an ideal model stand / holder that could be attached to the same for when assembling / working on mostly ARTF models.

I currently use an FMS " ironing stand " type setup but feel they are not the most secure when it comes to holding the model. I'm leaning towards a " cradle " type but thought U'd throw the question out there to see if anyone has a similar set up or .... something better.

The sizes of the models that I have are usually with wingspans from 1600mm ish up to around the 2000mm mark. Fuselages range ( I'm guessing ) fro  maybe 1200mm to 1700mm ( I think ) ..... Cessna skylane, Steen skybolt, miss ultimate, moonwalker, edge 540, twin otter, beechcraft baron and bonanza.

I've not purchased the Workmate yet as I wanted to hold off to see that this was definitely the route I was going to take.

Any comments ... suggestions and photos would be helpful.

Cheers

Toto

Forgot to mention what started this off in my mind.

When using the FMzs stand which utiliees two foam protected U holders ..... even though protected by foam ..... I am finding that when cradling " box type fuselages, where the coverings join at the underside of the fuselages, the coverings are taking a bit damage. The joins start coming away a bit. Maybe in part due to a less than perfect covering job in the first place but I suspect also partly due to the poor fit on the cradle itself.

Maybe a bit unfair to criticise as these stands are very much intended as a one solution fits all with little room for adjustment to differing fuselage types and shapes.

Toto

All the IC lads at my place have the workmate, with some great cradles of own design.

I will get photos next time out.

The cleverest cradle to develop is 2 of those hand cranked clamps that open and close very easily on their sides, and screwed side on a 3ft plank,  not gripping or crushing, but offering an adjustable cradle.

2 of these clamps, can even be welded to a bracket

IMG_20230921_160450.jpg

Edited by Denis Watkins

I use an engine test bed screwed onto a B&D Workmate. But be warned: a Workmate is barely up to the task. One thing you must do is anchor the Workmate firmly to the ground so that it can't be pulled over (towards you, when you are starting the engine) by the engine's thrust etc. 

Edited by John Stainforth

Hi Denis .... I'll keep my eye open for a photo or two if you get the chance kind Sir. I have some of these heavy duty clamps already. ... 

John ... thanks for that. I wasn't aware of the B and D workmate being able to move or topple so info is appreciated. A bit more thi king to go into this I think. 

Most of my bench testing would hopefully take place at the field but if needs be ( very rarely ) it would be good to be able to do this from home for very short periods of time purely to simply test and then shut down ( neighbours and all that ). The workmate being portable would have facilitated this happening outside as I wont run an engine in my shed. It would have also doubled as a " cradle mount " or bench.

Never mind there is more than one way to crack a nut.

Toto

I rest my flight box across the bracing on the bottom of my work stand. The box contains a 12v battery and fuel bottle etc. This adds enough weight to stabilise the stand. My stand is not a B&D but does the job. 

And yes without the extra weight the stand does attempt to move on engine full power so be careful.

A.)   Get hold of one of Ron Gray's foam cradles, a lot beefier than the standard blue ones and customisable re the size and shape of the cutout

B.)   A dog tether corkscrew and 5' of paracord is effective for tethering a workmate

C.)   There was a thread a few years back re adapting a standard B&Q trestle frame by adding two U-shaped cradles, foam covered, cut from 10/12mm ply and simply bolted to the telescopic uprights; then add a tray to sit between the crosspieces to hold all the precious things.   Easily restrained as per the Workmate; height adjustable; folds flat; I was so impressed I made two, one for the field and one for the mancave.   A pair of flat elastic hook-ended straps will keep the model restrained in gusts

D.)   For running up at home, use a standard restraint?

BTC

Hi Bruce,

I have seen Ron's cradles and they do look the part. I had been trying to use my wisdom ..... or lack thereof..... to see if it would be easily clamped to a workmate without to much alterations or additional parts required. I think if there is too much in the way of setting up and taking down, it can put you off using it. ( I'm not suggesting that there is before I start a potential bun fight :classic_biggrin: ).they do look very robust and well finished. 

I'll mull things overvalued bit as Icam in no desperate rush. The Workmate inclusion is part of having multiple uses ..... model cradle / bench and a solid platform for occasional engine testing. Shooting two birds with one stone so to speak.

Cheers

Toto

I have made some of the foam stands for customers who want to mount it to a table (Workmate etc) so instead of the holes through the sides for a music stand I have cut slots so that they can use ratchet straps to hold them in place. Seem to work just fine. The great thing is that, within reason, you can have what you want!

Edited by Ron Gray

• 2 months later...

One of our new members had one of these model stands but prices have become silly, and not wanting to leave them on the model field I was thinking of knocking a couple up as we have some spare steel posts holding the fencing up I was looking for suggestions of how I could to make a couple up for nothing ( I have plenty of wood), mostly for wood planes from 1m50 to 2m20.

ps, the posts will be hammered into the ground permanently.

support.webp

8 minutes ago, GaryWebb said:

This is mine it was made by a friend some years ago you can buy ones direct from Slecs Website

https://www.slecuk.com/flight-mate-table-kit

391694687_10161440366647915_4186653073615444794_n.jpg

Starting and running an ic engine or even running an electric I would have it securely pegged to  the  ground. I  do need one though age is catching up with my legs. 

1 hour ago, Eric Robson said:

Starting and running an ic engine or even running an electric I would have it securely pegged to  the  ground. I  do need one though age is catching up with my legs. 

That would do, I will probably weld a V onto a post, it's only for laying the fuselage on while connecting up the servo leads of the wing and screwing it down.

I use one of the £25 folding workbenches:

Lightweight Portable Workbench 560mm

Mine long since lost its adjustable top. I replaced it with a simple plank of wood. At each end of said plank, I've attached a cradle. These are strong enough to restrain any of my toys at full throttle.

My flight box is large enough to span across the lower supports, and provides a convenient way to weight the whole ensembled down.

4 hours ago, Eric Robson said:

Im covered on that one with the stick in the ground model restraint

https://www.rcworld.co.uk/acatalog/Model-Safety-Restraint-RCW-Restraint.html

405745603_10161525415677915_3516823463129830571_n.jpg

• Like 1

I don't think you can beat the one I was lucky enough to find second-hand, advertised on here.  I always take it to the field but it gets a lot of use in the workshop and frees up bench space.

DSCF0259.thumb.JPG.297ac2d1540259a46164abfad06f2061.JPG

Here my Rans S Chaos under construction.  It's been ready to rest fly for a while now - hopefully next year.  At the moment my Sopwith Pup occupies the stand as I repair the ravages of what appeared to be a simple nose-over while taxiing.  It's one of the most useful features of both my workshop and flying field. and it certainly saves my back and knees.  There's quite a few in the club.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Geoff S said:

I don't think you can beat the one I was lucky enough to find second-hand, advertised on here.  I always take it to the field but it gets a lot of use in the workshop and frees up bench space.

DSCF0259.thumb.JPG.297ac2d1540259a46164abfad06f2061.JPG

Here my Rans S Chaos under construction.  It's been ready to rest fly for a while now - hopefully next year.  At the moment my Sopwith Pup occupies the stand as I repair the ravages of what appeared to be a simple nose-over while taxiing.  It's one of the most useful features of both my workshop and flying field. and it certainly saves my back and knees.  There's quite a few in the club.

Yes, those Great Mate stands were/are beautifully designed and engineered. I have one that I bought second-hand at the Southern Model Show many years ago. It always goes with me to to the flying field and, like Geoff's, it is in near constant use in the workshop too. Either for model storage or as an aid when building and repairing planes. Mine is in the original yellow and the paint (powder coating??) seems impervious to 10% nitro fuel. If you are lucky enough to find one for sale - don't let it get away!

• Like 1