Corona Servos

Nigel Heather

Apologies I have asked this question before but buried in another thread and not very directly.

Are Corona servos any good?

They have been suggested by a kit manufacturer but before that I'd never heard of them - I now understand that they are predominantly a HobbyKing brand.

Anyone with any experience of them.  In particular do they centre well, what is the accuracy like, durability (do the metal gears wear well). 

Compared with the likes of Hitec and Savox they are significantly cheaper and, on paper. better specified.

But are they great, okay or best avoided?

The ones I would be considering are the 22g Mini DS-238MG and the 32g Mini-Standard DS-339MG

Many thanks,

Nigel

Advert

1 hour ago, Nigel Heather said:

Apologies I have asked this question before but buried in another thread and not very directly.

Are Corona servos any good?

They have been suggested by a kit manufacturer but before that I'd never heard of them - I now understand that they are predominantly a HobbyKing brand.

Anyone with any experience of them.  In particular do they centre well, what is the accuracy like, durability (do the metal gears wear well). 

Compared with the likes of Hitec and Savox they are significantly cheaper and, on paper. better specified.

But are they great, okay or best avoided?

The ones I would be considering are the 22g Mini DS-238MG and the 32g Mini-Standard DS-339MG

Many thanks,

Nigel

Ive used their JR DMSS receivers and never had any issues, Also I have a few 28 MGDS and standard servos as recommended for the Fusion funfly models, centering is very good for a budget servo and seems reliable.

48 minutes ago, Nigel Heather said:

How do you find them.  Would you use them in other models.  And if you had the extra quids to buy the budget Hitec or Savox equivalent would you?

What can I say? They work OK, centre without problem, aren't noisy and seem to have a reasonable speed and power for the use I'm putting them to. Sussex Model Centre sell them so they're a firm to be trusted not to push anything unfit for purpose. I recommend that you give the Coronas a try, purely based on my own experience of course. I'd be happy to buy them again.

Edited by Cuban8

Nogel

You have to accept that just because it is labelled Corona does not mean it is actually manufactured by them. It is quite possible the servos are actually made by a non distributing manufacturer for contract sale and labelling to more than one distributer. As a result a good or bad 'experience' could be from what is actually the same servo.

Given they are manufactured in their thousands and down to a price it is always possible a few 'bad' ones end up being sold.

The safest solution is to buy from a reputable source where a replacement is possible should problems arise.

The useful life of a servo is much more determined by the conditions under which it is used than its initial performance or reliability.

Just saying. 

• Like 1

I have around 20 of the analogue ones, 929mg /939mg, mostly on ailerons up to my .61fs powered Se5a, they are pretty good, some have been replaced as the jittered now and again, I bought 6 metal flat ones none of them took the air, they all burned out one by one while I was building and installing them in my ASW 19 3.75m glider,,,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Simon Chaddock said:

Nogel

You have to accept that just because it is labelled Corona does not mean it is actually manufactured by them. It is quite possible the servos are actually made by a non distributing manufacturer for contract sale and labelling to more than one distributer. As a result a good or bad 'experience' could be from what is actually the same servo.

Given they are manufactured in their thousands and down to a price it is always possible a few 'bad' ones end up being sold.

The safest solution is to buy from a reputable source where a replacement is possible should problems arise.

The useful life of a servo is much more determined by the conditions under which it is used than its initial performance or reliability.

Just saying. 

I agree with this.

But I can also imagine that Hitec, Futaba, and Savox servos are not manufactured by Hitec, Futaba and Savox.  I can imagine that they are contracted out.  But then again I can imagine that they are more like to be built specifically for Hitec and Futaba (not sure about Savox because I’ve heard that Savox and Align servos are the same thing) and I can imagine that the quality control is better.

Thanks, think I’m going to stick with the Hitec (225BB) and the Savox (352) that I have identified as alternatives.  Will cost an extra £40 but I suspect that they are more likely to be consistent.

Attracted by the weight and cost saving of the Coronas but think there is more risk.

Edited by Nigel Heather

I have dozens of Corona servo, mostly DS339MG. Never had a duff one, centring good and powerful for their size.

i had a case lug break off one once, following a severe crash but hardly surprising, I just glued the servo back in the model.

In the past I have bought a couple of duff Hitec servos which were dead out of the box. One was a high-end one too. I just sent it back to the supplier for a replacement.

• Like 2

Perhaps I've been unlucky but I've had numerous broken lugs - not in crashes but only a problem with Coronas.  On the other hand, they worked well enough that I machined some aluminium repair plates which I epoxied to the cases after removing the remnants of the lugs.  Hopefully they'veimproved the plastic since I bought mine some years ago?

IMG_2701.thumb.jpeg.21a339bd3d146d1edfdbdcde9e53b7a0.jpeg

• Like 2

Mine were a couple of years ago, perhaps 5. The lug outers failed in lightish arrivals. I just cut a ply square, epoxied and screwed to the lug remnants. I think the plastic is better nowadays. I’ve had some total wipeout arrivals since and the newer ones don’t break.

23 hours ago, Nigel Heather said:

I agree with this.

But I can also imagine that Hitec, Futaba, and Savox servos are not manufactured by Hitec, Futaba and Savox.  I can imagine that they are contracted out.  But then again I can imagine that they are more like to be built specifically for Hitec and Futaba (not sure about Savox because I’ve heard that Savox and Align servos are the same thing) and I can imagine that the quality control is better.

Some interesting products right at the very end of this vid https://youtu.be/sa27KqbPnjE?si=MWUVbAw0R6-GvPn9

I’ve used Corona servos almost exclusively for many years and must have several dozen of them in regular use. I use a variety of sizes and go for the digital MG versions. I have found them totally reliable, they centre well and are slop-free. As others have mentioned, I have had mounting lugs fail on the mid size ones on one occasion . But it was a rather spectacular crash!

Trevor

I've pulled the trigger and ordered now, this is what I decided to do:

I'm catering for two models, an Evolution Fusion II Fun Fly and a Mick Reeves Gangster 63 Lite.

For the Fusion II, I'm going to try the Corona DS-238MG which are recommended by Evolution Models.

For the Gangster, I have stayed traditional and have gone for standard size Savox SC-352

Cheers,

Nigel