2024 Mass Build

We are approaching the time of year when the next Mass Build is sorted out, can i stick my vote in for it being one of Richard`s new Warbird kits, FW190 or Hawker Tempest. There is an ongoing thread on the Warbirds forum and a number of people have already committed to buy one or both of the kits. They are due for delivery before Christmas so the timing would be great for this years Mass build.  Here is a taster of the demo FW190, kits are priced at £139. 

The Fw190 spec is : 54" span . estimated weight less than 5lb , Hand launch kit . (a retract pack will be available to retrofit but lets get one up first and keep it simple ).

Motor spec will be 35 mm or more likely 42mm can, of any KV from 550 to 900 . Can be propped to suit , Will run on one 4s 3300 pack or 2x 3s 2200 in parallel with higher KV motor . In other words , use what you have . I can advise on props and motors for those that already have batteries . 

Aluminium two blade 190 spinner available at £13  , Decal sets also available . Kit Price £139 . 

FW190 KIT.jpg

FW190 2 KIT.jpg

Edited by martin collins 1
  • Like 1

Richard Wills of Warbird Replicas fame. For the last 100 years he has produced a range of warbird kits, Spitfire, Hurricane, Mustang, LA-7, BF110, ME109 to name but a few. All kits have been truly excellent being relatively easy to assemble and all with excellent flying attributes. Richard is a true embassador for ‘made in the UK’ and his kits are a much better rendition of the various types than the foamy ones produced in the far east but what makes him unique is that he engages with us end users, listens to what we have to say then produces the goods to satisfy our wants. 

The latest kit offerings, due out later this year, typify the above and will result in a better looking, better flying and probably cheaper offering than those foamies, hence why they are the subject of the 2024 mass build.

• Like 1

The company is Warbirds Replicas, Richard Wills is the chap that produces them, there is a lot more information on the Warbirds forum look under the Big Question thread. Richard produces small run batches of kits to order, i have bought his Lavochkin and JU88 kits when batches were done of those, these latest ones are designed to be cheap to put in the air, easy to build and to use cheaply available finishing materials. The last 10 pages or so of the long Big question thread should give you a taster of what these two kits are about. Any other questions if you pop Richard a PM he will respond with all the answers. The last few pages show the 190 being put together so will give you and idea of how quick and easy they are to build, John has kindly put up the link i forgot to add to the Big question thread!

Edited by martin collins 1

Thank you Martin, John and Ron! I did recognize the 190, but could not remember the thread where I had seen it... Would never have got it from the Big Question title. I will have a look as I fancy a 190, just have not found a kit I like - could be the one!

thanks again, Simon

Edited by mightypeesh
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, martin collins 1 said:

Hopefully we can organise a fly in somewhere next year

There is rumour if a ‘Best of British’ weekend get together at Bucko next year with models representing manufacturers such as Laser, Chris Foss, Flair etc etc so that maybe a good event to show them off in.

• Like 1

Quite a lot of interest on the Fw190 and the Tempest . 

Not concrete figures and I totally accept some might have to bail out , but equally others will find this thread and Join in . 

So far we have 16 hands up for the  Focke Wulf 190 and ten for the Tempest . 

26 Builds would definitely be interesting !

• Like 7

There a few bullet points worth considering with these models . 

1) They are cheap but designed to last and made from high quality balsa and ply . £139 for a proper wooden kit is cheap . (Compare it to say a plan pack . That is almost half price ) 

2) The fact that there are many different electric motor/ battery combinations, make them accessible to most . Even a worn out ARTF would provide the radio and power train.

3S or 4S doesnt really matter . 

3) Since we have shown you on the "Big Question " thread how to paint the Fw190 for £8 worth of B&Q paint , a paint brush and a sponge, there are no barriers in terms of "can I finish it ? "  Anyone that can hold a brush can do it . 

We want more people to "have a go " at scale modelling , but we want them to get there simply , quickly and on a budget that will make them realise that proper building can challenge foam ARTFs on every level . 

4) I will typically fly a model like this for 300 plus flights , that is 46 pence per flight 😁 plus I can proudly say to anyone that approaches me , that I made which is far more rewarding than saying " I got it from a man in China who made it for me , but I got it in a sale so it only cost me £250 !

Dont get me wrong , Ive bought ARTFs and had fun with them , but their price is undeniably increasing way out of proportion with inflation so lets at least consider other options .

Plus (and this is the most important bullet point ) . These kits are designed by a well established and respected , British based design team . 

You can't ask for more really . 

graham and sweep.jpg

• Like 9