Sub 250g glider trainer kit or plan

Ali1979

Hello, 

I’m considering a return to the hobby after a considerable break.

I spent much of my childhood building, crashing and repairing R/C balsa glider kits and plans. 

I’m looking to keep things very simple but would like to build (rather RTF / foam) a 2 channel glider again. 

For cost and convenience I think I would be better with sub 250g but would be keen to know peoples views and recommendations.

Many thanks!

Hi Ali,

See Lidl foam chuck gliders conversion base threads on here and /or similar...but you did say you would prefer balsa etc..

Bonzo moon and others...

Slope soarer, powered ( 3 channel really these days due to increased safety ) or thermal/bungee/powered tug launch ?

Over...

Edited by Rich Griff

Presumably your requirement of sub 250 g is to avoid the need to register with CAA?   Everybody  has found it's very easy to do the simple CAA test and that's not even necesssary if you have a BMFA A certificate etc.    In any case if you fit a camera to any plane ( even sub 250g ) you have to register with CAA and pay the fee. 

How about the two channel conversion of the KeilKraft Invader as championed by John Woodfield?  John used wing twist and pitch rather than try to make a linkage to the twin fins.  John quotes a total weight for the model including R/C of 130 grammes (4.6oz).  As most of these gliders needed some lead inthe nose in free flight form, the radio replaces much of this, so their is very little overall increase.

John Woodfield's KeilKraft Invader converted to R/C

R/C KeilKraft Invader in flight

The KeilKraft Invader can be bought as a kit or downloaded from Outerzone

Edited by Robin Colbourne

If you like to build, the old Ridge Runt, Soarcerer & Impala are all great slope trainers.

Over 250g though...

To be honest I think you'd struggle with a 9-ounce slope soarer, better to take the test then the world's your lobster :)

Rich:>>( 3 channel really these days due to increased safety )

yeah those free-flight maniacs will be the death of us....

Edited by Phil Green
  • Like 1

Erm.....f/f'ers usually do it in the middle of no where.....

Besides, they are the real aeromodellers...

I consider a free running IC engine, under no control at all ( apart from the quantity of fuel in the tank ) in a 2 channel glider or what ever, to be unacceptable these days...  

Waiting for feedback from all...

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Rich Griff said:

Erm.....f/f'ers usually do it in the middle of no where.....

Besides, they are the real aeromodellers...

I consider a free running IC engine, under no control at all ( apart from the quantity of fuel in the tank ) in a 2 channel glider or what ever, to be unacceptable these days...  

Waiting for feedback from all...

The only person suggesting an engine here is you. The OP asked about a 2 channel glider, of which there are many examples - rudder/elevator - no engine or motor, so no need for 3 channels.

Thank you all for your replies, much appreciated.

The object of my next model is basically nostalgia so will be a 2 channel balsa glider. After that I’ve always fancied an electric Junior 60 so 3 channels will come but one step at a time! 

I think it’s time to move past the 250g limit, do the test and choose something a little more robust and easier to see. 

Thanks again

Al

Balsa cabin sonata, even an electric one ( 3 channel ), you mainly wanting a slope soarer ?

Yes, impala and several older designs.....hot pants, crusader and many other better known models...

However if you are intent on making your own, see outerzone " found centennial" wing, easy to make, strong and light with spruce spars ( rocket sticks ) and two extra bays on central part, one extra bay on wing tips ( it did I add two extra tip bays as well, will have to check ). Easy simple fuz with room for standard sized servos...

At some point sn electric one will be made as well as a sloper.....

If you join the BMFA you can do their test here https://rcc.bmfa.uk/rcc

The BMFA version of the test is aimed more at traditional aeromodellers rather than being "drone" centred, so the words are different but the test is similar.

Membership of the BMFA includes insurance, and they can also do your CAA registration for you.

Dick

• Like 2

Although referred to as a test, in reality it's an exercise to give some awareness of the legal responsibilities of a UAS pilot and a traceable record that you been made aware of your responsibilies. I suspect that although ignorance of the law is not a defence anyway, this might have some value to the Prosecution case - or level of sentencing - in a Court of Law.