Bmfa handbook, calling ANDY..

Hi Andy,

I have printed off the new article 16 for my bmfa flying folder ( yes I reckon it would fly off cilan headland given enough wind ) and studied.

The bmfa handbook was updated in August2023 but may I ask please is it due an up date shortly ?

If not, I will print it off next time I am in the library in town, so that i have an up to date hard copy and supporting paperwork ( art 16, bmfa membership/insurance ) to show if challenged by a uniform/suit.

Thanks....

Edited by Rich Griff

57 minutes ago, Rich Griff said:

Hi Andy,

I have printed off the new article 16 for my bmfa flying folder ( yes I reckon it would fly off cilan headland given enough wind ) and studied.

The bmfa handbook was updated in August2023 but may I ask please is it due an up date shortly ?

If not, I will print it off next time I am in the library in town, so that i have an up to date hard copy and supporting paperwork ( art 16, bmfa membership/insurance ) to show if challenged by a uniform/suit.

Thanks....

They have said more than once that the online one gets updated incrementally as and when these days - they do not do annual updates, one reason why they do not provide printed copies any more. Just keep a link on your phone for reference at the field, no need to print it off.

Edited by MattyB
  • Thanks 1

Quite, but I don't want to print it off on Friday if an update is planed for release next Monday...it's nice to have a hard copy, internet phone has a matchbox ( wg rather than sv ) sized screen, but point taken.

Any feedback Andy ( bmfa, Symons ) ?

Over.....

1 hour ago, Rich Griff said:

Quite, but I don't want to print it off on Friday if an update is planed for release next Monday...it's nice to have a hard copy, internet phone has a matchbox ( wg rather than sv ) sized screen, but point taken.

Any feedback Andy ( bmfa, Symons ) ?

Over.....

Likely to be some updates in the next couple of months.

Because you didn't answer my question about which version of BMFA handbook you currently have printed off, plus the fact that you've responded to Andy Symonds statement that an updated version is due soon, that you'll then print off, can I ask again which version you currently refer to prior to going flying? 

You repeatedly pop up on threads about model flying legislation giving advice, yet it appears you are currently unable to access any copy of the handbook. 

You also take great delight in jumping into threads from beginners asking for advice and offering them confusing and often out of date or wrong information. 

I have seen other members ask you this questions before without being answered: do you currently fly R/C models? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rich Griff said:

Thanks Alan and Andy...

Much appreciated...

Will print it off so I have an up to date as possible copy for now.

Andy, will bmfa inform members of updates, or leave it to members to check every now and again ?

Over.....

A notice will go on the website when its updated.

Genuinely interested as to why the OP hasn't seen a thread on this subject on the forum.... IE why don't all the other BMFA members on this forum not need to directly contact a member of the BMFA staff here to check for updates to the handbook. 

Is it because we all check for updates on the BMFA website? Or that we take advantage of the email updates that the BMFA offer on such things as changes to regulations, or even, dare I say it, updates to the BMFA handbook.... 

It is perfectly possible to help one's self. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Alan Gorham_ said:

Because you didn't answer my question about which version of BMFA handbook you currently have printed off, plus the fact that you've responded to Andy Symonds statement that an updated version is due soon, that you'll then print off, can I ask again which version you currently refer to prior to going flying? 

You repeatedly pop up on threads about model flying legislation giving advice, yet it appears you are currently unable to access any copy of the handbook. 

You also take great delight in jumping into threads from beginners asking for advice and offering them confusing and often out of date or wrong information. 

I have seen other members ask you this questions before without being answered: do you currently fly R/C models? 

To be fair, I take my hat off to someone who prints off the BMFA handbook to study it. 

1 hour ago, Arthur Harris said:

To be fair, I take my hat off to someone who prints off the BMFA handbook to study it. 

If you read his post, he says he's only got a mobile phone screen to read it off.  Makes it a bit painful to read through the Handbook when that's the only way you can read an electronic copy.

Thanks Andy...ladybird arrived yesterday, thanks Lawrence, so off to library to undertake complete handbook printed off. 

Sixty odd pages at 20p a go.....

I have checked the box so updates will be emailed as and when, wonderfull.

Also spotted a couple of other documents I need to update myself with....

I only take my bmfa membership/insurance papers and the quick start reminder sheets with me to the day's flying site.

I have the quick start sheets on the fridge ( by the bike safe "rap sheet", thanks pc moon ), to aid " mental digestion".....

I know you guys( bmfa ) are very busy on our behalf so won't hassle you un necessarily.

Cheers Andy.

3 minutes ago, Rich Griff said:

Thanks Andy...ladybird arrived yesterday, thanks Lawrence, so off to library to undertake complete handbook printed off. 

Sixty odd pages at 20p a go.....

I have checked the box so updates will be emailed as and when, wonderfull.

Also spotted a couple of other documents I need to update myself with....

I only take my bmfa membership/insurance papers and the quick start reminder sheets with me to the day's flying site.

I have the quick start sheets on the fridge ( by the bike safe "rap sheet", thanks pc moon ), to aid " mental digestion".....

I know you guys( bmfa ) are very busy on our behalf so won't hassle you un necessarily.

Cheers Andy.

Rich, you do know don't you that you can email the BMFA with your questions using [email protected]?   It's usually the best route than posting on here for a specific question.  If Andy needs to answer the question, then the admin staff pass it to him.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Doug Campbell said:

Far too long to read.

You must have missed the multiple links on the right hand side to the "quick start guide" for those who do not wish to read all the detail?

image.png.a3686e429564eec7aa489b1084908bdd.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Doug Campbell said:

Far too long to read.

Nevertheless it's the dispensation under which BMFA members are permitted to operate our models and, as such, should be read by anyone flying under those Article 16 exclusions.

"It's far too long to read" wouldn't be a valid excuse in the event that push came to shove. It literally takes no more than quarter of an hour to read through and no more than a couple of minutes to read through the Quick Start guide which describes the meat of what the Article 16 means for model flyers.

• Like 4