CAA Membership Disappeared - Anyone Else Had The Same?

Yesterday I got an email from the BMFA advising me that my CAA membership was expiring soon and asking me to renew it.

I logged into the BMFA portal and could see my CAA membership which runs to 21st Feb, and just in case I might forget if I left it I decided to renew then and there.

I selected the renewal, paid the the fee and got a success message on a couple of emails confirming registration and payment.

But when I checked in the portal it no longer shows that I have CAA membership.  I left it a day to see if it just needed a few hours to update but still nothing.  According to my portal I don't have CAA registration.

Anyone else seeing this - I did reach out to BMFA yesterday but haven't heard anything from them yet?

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by Nigel Heather

25 minutes ago, Nigel Heather said:

But when I checked in the portal it no longer shows that I have CAA membership.  I left it a day to see if it just needed a few hours to update but still nothing.  According to my portal I don't have CAA registration.

Anyone else seeing this - I did reach out to BMFA yesterday but haven't heard anything from them yet?

No problem here. I paid for the CAA at the same time as renewing my BMFA several weeks ago and now my CAA shows up as valid until 17/2/2025 on my "Member Details" tab on the BMFA system.

Perhaps it takes a few days to confirm the details between the CAA and BMFA systems.

Dick

1 hour ago, Nigel Heather said:

Yesterday I got an email from the BMFA advising me that my CAA membership was expiring soon and asking me to renew it.

I logged into the BMFA portal and could see my CAA membership which runs to 21st Feb, and just in case I might forget if I left it I decided to renew then and there.

I selected the renewal, paid the the fee and got a success message on a couple of emails confirming registration and payment.

Cheers,

Nigel

Yes, I had the same email,

Thought it was something I had not done correctly also check my portal.

I need to login again to see if anything has changed.

Steve

My re-registration has worked fine.  I got an email from the CAA last night telling me that my OPID registration  was secured for another year and gave me my details with which I agreed and that are the same as on the BMFA Membership site.  Just renewed via the Club annual membership fee payment. Works well for me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nigel Sharp said:

Check your email is same as the caa email registered to you for your op id.

Andy at BMFA sorted something similar for me earlier in the year. As I'd changed my email address as a result of changing isp vendor.

I thought it might have been because I registered directly with the CAA last year but checking back I did it with the BMFA last year - so can't see how there is a problem.

Yes email is the same with the BMFA and CAA.

What's more not only is my renewal not showing but my current registration has been removed.

5 hours ago, toto said:

I renewed my BMFA and LMA ....... what's the script with the CAA ?

How often is that renewed ..... annually ?

Toto

Our CAA flyer registration lasts for 5 years (that's what we get when we pass the online test).

Our CAA operator registration is annual, on payment of the fee (about £10).

28 minutes ago, Arthur Harris said:

Our CAA flyer registration lasts for 5 years (that's what we get when we pass the online test).

Our CAA operator registration is annual, on payment of the fee (about £10).

Correct Arthur ,,, Operator Id is Yearly,,  Flier ID is every 5 years

Edited by GaryW

1 hour ago, Nigel Heather said:

I'll certainly be doing that next year.

I did my CAA thru the BMFA when i renewwd my BMFA Membership,,, must admit i cudnt be asked to muck about doing it seperately through 2 different websites

So more developments.  Today I got an email from CAA that my registration has been renewed.

But BMFA portal still shows that I am not registered.  Clearly something has gone wrong with their processing

Take payment - YES

Send confirmation email of registration - YES

Send confirmation email of payment - YES

Pass information onto CAA - YES

Update their database - NO

I guess at least I know that it is done, just would be nice if it appeared in the BMFA Portal, otherwise what is the point of the Portal if it can’t be trusted to be accurate.

Would be nice to get some sort of response from BMFA.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by Nigel Heather
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, toto said:

I renewed my BMFA and LMA ....... what's the script with the CAA ?

How often is that renewed ..... annually ?

Toto

Yes, but it runs from the date of issue, whereas BMFA and LMA are calendar year, so if you got your operator ID in April it only needs renewing in April and you get a notification from the CAA a couple of weeks before. If you got your operator ID via the BMFA/LMA you can check the CAA expiry on your membership online details.

49 minutes ago, Andy Symons - BMFA said:

The enquiry you posted on the portal at 9.54pm last night received a response at 7.06pm this morning.

Thanks - I have seen your response and sent the screenshot you requested - BTW my first contact was on Thursday at 18:50 over a day earlier than you say.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nigel Heather said:

Thanks - I have seen your response and sent the screenshot you requested - BTW my first contact was on Thursday at 18:50 over a day earlier than you say.

Just checked as I hadn't seen any earlier contact from you which would have ended up in my inbox on this matter. Found an email in the membership inbox junk folder sent Friday ay 22.36. Not received a screenshot email though.

The matter is in hand though and should be resolved fairly quickly.

Edited by Andy Symons - BMFA

18 hours ago, Peter Jenkins said:

My re-registration has worked fine.  I got an email from the CAA last night telling me that my OPID registration  was secured for another year and gave me my details with which I agreed and that are the same as on the BMFA Membership site.  Just renewed via the Club annual membership fee payment. Works well for me.

Exactly how I do it for our club members. Easy to ensure that members are all good to go - far easier than chasing people up who do their own as  and when they feel like it.

Far better if the whole charade was scrapped but that's another story.

1 hour ago, Cuban8 said:

Easy to ensure that members are all good to go - far easier than chasing people up who do their own as  and when they feel like it.

Are you saying the you require members to register with the CAA through the club and/or check their registrations? None of the clubs that I am a member of do this.

5 minutes ago, steve too said:

Are you saying the you require members to register with the CAA through the club and/or check their registrations? None of the clubs that I am a member of do this.

Two out of three of my clubs ask for confirmation of current BMFA/SAA membership, with member number, plus confirmation of CAA operator ID and that number. I would have thought that would be pretty widespread amongst model clubs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve too said:

We don't require members to pay their CAA through the club as a condition of membership - we offer the option of doing so with their annual renewal and 90% avail themselves of the offer. Why wouldn't they?

A few pay through other clubs and one chap prefers to remain as a 'country member' and does BMFA and CAA himself for some reason.

As much as I loathe the whole CAA nonsense, in order to fly legally members are required to comply with the regs and I do check those few that don't pay through our club via the membership portal. A matter of a few seconds to check and a friendly email or quick phone call reminder if needed.

Things do get forgotten and I wouldn't want the club or a member put in a difficult position should a serious incident occur and a member involved was not registered for one reason or another. 

My other club's committee makes it very clear....."not legal, not flying" and if we catch you then watch out. 

I like to avoid agro if I can rather than assemble a firing squad for a  transgressor over the field 😉

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Andy Symons - BMFA said:

Just checked as I hadn't seen any earlier contact from you which would have ended up in my inbox on this matter. Found an email in the membership inbox junk folder sent Friday ay 22.36. Not received a screenshot email though.

The matter is in hand though and should be resolved fairly quickly.

There is something wrong with your emails.

I sent on Thursday 25th Jan at 18:50 - you say that has never been received

I sent on Thursday 25th Jan at 22:36 - you say that went into your SPAM folder

I sent the requested screenshot on 27th Jan at 09:26 - you say that you haven't received that

Sounds like you have got some systems issues, databases not being updated and emails going missing.

Since your email system is clearly broken, here is the screenshot

spacer.png

Normally I would see details of the registration such as the expiry date.  But the portal is not populated which makes it look like I am not registered with the CAA.  I know I am, it just isn't being displayed on the BMFA Portal.

Cheers,

Nigel 

Edited by Nigel Heather