Do most people push themselves out of their comfort zone?

I had an interesting conversation recently, after watching someone flying inverted just a few feet (inches, sometimes) above the runway and doing touch and goes with the right and left wheels just above stall speed just for fun. Some people were of the opinion that flying the way you feel comfortable is enough. 

To me, it seems as if 'comfortable' is a bit boring. On the other hand, pushing yourself is stressful.

I find right hand circuits less intuitive than left hand circuits, especially when landing- so when I have the field to myself that is what I do. What is the general opinion?

Practice, more practice and yet more practice is the only way to gain experience and hone the skills required . . Those precious hours cannot be built on a simulator. 

You need to frighten yourself a few times to learn the trickier manoeuvres. It all depends on how far you want to stretch yourself. 

Flying with a high degree of precision is the aim of the game, at whatever height, at whatever speed, and in whatever the weather can throw at you.

Eventually, flying fast and low inverted, and those one-wheel touch and goes will become the norm, and well within your personal comfort zone. 

I push myself all the time. I'm at my happiest when I'm on my own at the strip, able to hog all the sky using battery after battery improving my flying. 

Most of the other members are happy chatting and drinking coffee and maybe a couple of flights.

Its whatever you want it to be.

• Like 1

I'd imagine that most folks stay within their comfort zone most of the time and that's why it's called a comfort zone. Everyone's comfort zone is going to be different and that's just fine, since there isn't a single "right way to do it" and people have different interests, hopes and aspirations for what is a hobby after all.

• Like 2

Answering the exam question, no, I don't think most people push themselves outside their comfort zone very often, if at all.

8 hours ago, Brian Cooper said:

Those precious hours cannot be built on a simulator.

I would disagree, with the caveat - simulator hours are definitely worth something - but not as much as the real thing.

• Like 1

I usually stay within my comfort zone, I have enough repairs to do without pushing it.

I am able to take off, loop, roll, fly an Immelmann, and a Cuban Eight then land, with an appropriate model of course. I do not push myself outside of my comfort zone but occasionally I ease myself out of it by flying inverted at a good height for example. With a vintage model like a Junior 60 I am quite happy to fly circuits and horizontal eights while admiring the model I have built with my own hands.

Edited by David Davis
  • Like 4

I can’t remember when I last added a new manoeuvre to my flying repertoire so yes, I’m definitely guilty of flying within my comfort zone.  However I have far too many models and do try to give each of them an airing at least once a year. This does mean that some of them (mainly the bigger, more complex ones) come out so rarely that it seems like a maiden flight  every time so that, at least for the first few moments of the flight I’m definitely feeling less than comfortable.  Funnily enough, by the time the flight is over, I’m usually thinking ‘That flies really nicely, I must bring it out more often”. Then another year passes. . .

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Ernie said:

Moving to a foreign country certainly pushes the comfort zone.  Mon dieu, the french have the 'gaz' on the other side, as I found out when Jean Jaques handed me the tranny

ernie

Come on mode 1 can be fun, I flew a friends' arf .90 powered Spitfire for its first flight, 50% too much elevator made it really fun,

just say to yourself all the time, Elevator a droite,, ( Right), and what can go wrong.😂

21 minutes ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Come on mode 1 can be fun, I flew a friends' arf .90 powered Spitfire for its first flight, 50% too much elevator made it really fun,

just say to yourself all the time, Elevator a droite,, ( Right), and what can go wrong.😂

It’s when it’s in a dive, and you forget, and the engine dies, speed,  ideas, hight, springs to mind. Don’t ask where this knowledge comes from. 

• Haha 1

If 'flying outside of one's comfort zone' means operating a model beyond ones safety limit, then no, not a good idea. I've seen flyers who seemed to always love going for broke and with little regard for whether their model gets wrecked or not - sometimes they'd get away with it, sometimes not - it never mattered, just laughed it off. Not my M.O. at all - every crash or damaged model is a failure in my book - not something I'd be celebrating

Quite different to a planned and incremental advance in one's skills, with plenty of opportunity to 'bail out' if things go wrong. How do full size aerobatic pilots train? I doubt if many go about it by taking a chance, getting close to soiling themselves and hoping for the best..

Each to their own, of course.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Jake Bullit said:

You`ll get bored very quickly if you`re a regular flier flying in your comfort zone.

Have to say Jake that I just can't relate to the idea of getting bored in flying a model. I don't believe I've ever felt bored when flying a model, but I've heard of others who felt that they were bored. It takes all sorts I suppose.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jake Bullit said:

You`ll get bored very quickly if you`re a regular flier flying in your comfort zone.

Depends very much on the individual in my opinion. Some like it that way, some like to push the boundaries. 

Personally, I tend to get bored when I stop learning new stuff. In modelling and other aspects of my life.

In context, "most" is only 51% in whole numbers ;-)

Edited by Graham Bowers
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Trevor said:

I agree. But having a near-zero crash rate is a sure fire way of ending up with too many models, overcrowded storage arrangements and the associated increased risk of hangar rash!

Tell me about it, over 40 models in flying conditions in my garage.

There are a few members who only do circuits, Ic and electric, if that makes them happy why not.

• Like 4

A thought-provoking question - thanks Arthur.

I have to admit, the way I fly is mostly a mood thing! And my mood is affected by lots of things, including the weather, the model I’m flying and who I’m with. Also possibly the Moon. 

Most days I just fly like an old granny (no judgement of old grannies intended ☺️) especially if it’s a floaty glider or a wafty big Cub. I’m happy watching them drift by, sun shining through the wings, wheels occasionally rumbling along the grass with a touch and go.  All poetic stuff.

Other times (mostly in a gale on the slope edge) my inner devil can awaken. I need to hear screaming wings cleaving the air. I try ambitious manoeuvres I’ve seen cool people do on YouTube. I want to be a bit scared.  If I’m lucky I satisfy my thrill-seeking before I run out of altitude/skill.  
But as was said above, I always think “where is this plane heading if my Rx battery dies right now…”. Heavier and faster models carry scary, potentially lethal amounts of kinetic energy. 😬

As Frank Spencer said, “there are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots”

IMG_9886.jpeg

• Like 1

I think you should push yourself a little at a time until you arrive at where you want to be.  Personally I fly the model as it should be flown. I love to float floaters, glide gliders, fly scale in a scale manner and aerobatics in an aerobatic model.  At all times trying to improve my flying.  Most important mode is enjoyment.  Thanks

• Like 4