Beginner kit recommendations

16 hours ago, Piers Bowlan said:

Hi Hooch. Have you looked at Ron Gray's VLOG on the Warbird Replica FW190? If not you may find it useful. I think the model is probably sold out as they are produced in batches but you never know. Richard is soon to bring out a Hawker Typhoon and the construction and building techniques are pretty much the same. You could put your name down for one of the kits for when they become available but watch Ron’s Videos in the meantime.

I didn't but I wasn't overly sold on it as I'm thinking it might be better to build a glider so I can use it a bit. Any other recommendations? Something in-between the easy to build vintage model company gear but not just plans. I have seen the vintage model company do gliders but they are quite small...

19 minutes ago, Rich Griff said:

Balsa cabin sonata ? But perhaps with a full elevater ?

Rich beat me to it! The Sonata  is a classic glider kit now with laser cut parts and originally powered with a speed 400 brushed motor. Now much better performance with a brushless motor and LiPo. It is for three Chanel’s; Rudder Elevator and throttle which keeps the wing build simple. 
Another classic also available from The Balsa Cabin is the Keilcraft Challenger a 51 in span free flight glider although most people fit lightweight radio control. Quite simple to fit a small motor upfront too.

Edited by Piers Bowlan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoochykins said:

I didn't but I wasn't overly sold on it as I'm thinking it might be better to build a glider so I can use it a bit. Any other recommendations? Something in-between the easy to build vintage model company gear but not just plans. I have seen the vintage model company do gliders but they are quite small...

Belair laser cut glider kits might have something of interest https://www.belairdigital.co.uk/itemsection.asp?id=53&pg=1

For a slope soarer the Impala is a well respected design https://www.belairdigital.co.uk/detail.asp?id=1318

My only concern is how much am I going to struggle if I've never used plans before. I'll have a Google of those and see if they are above my skill level currently. I guess once you've built using plans once it makes sense for any more you build?

2 hours ago, Piers Bowlan said:

Rich beat me to it! The Sonata  is a classic glider kit now with laser cut parts and originally powered with a speed 400 brushed motor. Now much better performance with a brushless motor and LiPo. It is for three Chanel’s; Rudder Elevator and throttle which keeps the wing build simple. 
Another classic also available from The Balsa Cabin is the Keilcraft Challenger a 51 in span free flight glider although most people fit lightweight radio control. Quite simple to fit a small motor upfront too.

2 hours ago, Rich Griff said:

Sorry guys, missed these. I will take a look 👍

If you go onto YouTube and search Mark Robinson Models, he will show you how to download plans from the internet and how to build a model aeroplane from the plans. This episode deals with downloading the plans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvdAkkQI5Zw.

That said, I still think that you would be better off buying a kit or short-kit from a reputable manufacturer like Ben Buckle, DB Sport and Scale, Chris Foss or SLEC who now offer the Belair range of kits including the Belair Vitnage Kits: https://www.belairdigital.co.uk/itemsection.asp?id=50. Their own Fun Fly would make a good choice for a second or third model. A description is available here under SEC Kits: https://www.slecuk.com/aircraft-kits.

7 minutes ago, David Davis 2 said:

That said, I still think that you would be better off buying a kit or short-kit from a reputable manufacturer like Ben Buckle, DB Sport and Scale, Chris Foss or SLEC who now offer the Belair range of kits including the Belair Vitnage Kits: https://www.belairdigital.co.uk/itemsection.asp?id=50.

For a beginner builder I don't think that a 'short kit' is the best option as a bit of experience is required to select the appropriate remaining parts; longerons, stringers and wing spars.

A full kit from one of the above mentioned manufacturers would (hopefully) include suitable selected grades of wood for the airframe.

Next problem is selecting suitable adhesives, but that is well covered in many recent threads.

Best of luck, enjoy building.

* Chris *

Hooch, in my view, the help of a real live experienced model builder at your side as you start a build is worth 100 YouTube videos. You don't say whether you've joined a club yet but I urge you to do so. I'm sure there would be some old greybeards there who would only be too willing to help you. You only have to ask.

• Like 1

Hi hooch,

Someone mentioned slope soaring without getting their head shot off !

If you have never made a "stick and tissue" flying aeroplane before, visit charity shops, you may get lucky. The wife brough home yesterday A Kiel Kraft Cessna 140 free flight rubber powered jobby that will easily enlarge for electric power RC indoor flying. £2.50.

Get a small balsa model from vmc or similar to make. Laser cut parts means it's similar ( thats "similar", not identical but similar ) to an airfix plastic model but will need covering .

Did you do woodwork at school ? If you did you know about wood, grain, how to cut......etc..

Check out the sonata, there was an article about it a couple of years ago in rcme, orange and black in colour from memory with a nose mounted self folding prop and electric motor.

It has been asked but where do you live, Cumbria by chance, near local hills, or in flat Norfolk.

Did you find a local club ?

Enough from me,the daggers are being sharpened....

Have a great day and happy landings.

9 hours ago, Rich Griff said:

Why do you say that? My Sonata E flew perfectly well as designed with an elevator on one half of the tailplane. When I built an old Kiel Kraft Ladybird kit I converted it to electric power and only fitted an elevator to one half of the tailplane it flies beautifully.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rich Griff said:

Hi hooch,

Someone mentioned slope soaring without getting their head shot off !

If you have never made a "stick and tissue" flying aeroplane before, visit charity shops, you may get lucky. The wife brough home yesterday A Kiel Kraft Cessna 140 free flight rubber powered jobby that will easily enlarge for electric power RC indoor flying. £2.50.

Get a small balsa model from vmc or similar to make. Laser cut parts means it's similar ( thats "similar", not identical but similar ) to an airfix plastic model but will need covering .

Did you do woodwork at school ? If you did you know about wood, grain, how to cut......etc..

Check out the sonata, there was an article about it a couple of years ago in rcme, orange and black in colour from memory with a nose mounted self folding prop and electric motor.

It has been asked but where do you live, Cumbria by chance, near local hills, or in flat Norfolk.

Did you find a local club ?

Enough from me,the daggers are being sharpened....

Have a great day and happy landings.

Hooch was asked about gliders to build as kits, so mentioning slope soaring is completely on topic for the thread and the questions asked. That is in stark contrast to attempting to insert slope soaring countless times into a thread where it had been previously noted that the thread starter was not interested in going along that route at the moment. Context matters. 

If you had read the thread you would have seen the Hooch has already bought a VMC Piper Cub kit.

10 hours ago, Rich Griff said:

I had a Sonata E for years (one of Cliff Goater's original kits that came in a long plastic bag IIRC) with the curious single elevator...........flew perfectly well but I suppose if you wanted to mod it to a double control surface you could.

Hoochykins, have you had a look at the Pegasus Models range.  They do the Fiesta which is a traditional wooden R/C trainer which could be either electric or engine powered, plus a whole range of other kits.  If you read the reviews, someone has done an electric conversion and lists the exact set up that he used.  He also said that it is the ideal electric trainer.

Pegasus Models Fiesta

1252777039_PegasusModelsFiesta.jpg.569709a461f998f63eb8d25b0cd2c683.jpg

Edited by Robin Colbourne

Would love to do some slope soaring, I'm near Ivinghoe Beacon where I know there's a group so will check that out.

I'm quite hands on when it comes to fixing/building stuff so the main issue I worry about is to sit down with the plans and wood then have absolutely no idea where to start so if the model has instructions then it should be okay.

I'll check out the suggestions. 

The cubs good but just to simple really, I'll see how I do with covering it.

IMG_20240229_142227.jpg

• Like 1

The SLEC Fun Fly could be a logical next step providing that you can fly well enough on ailerons. I built one about nine years ago. Mine was powered by an OS 40FP but you can buy one intended for electric flight these days. The instructions were good coupled with many photographs. The only problem was attaching the cockpit to the wing but I still think you'd benefit from having an experienced builder to keep an eye on your build.

https://www.slecuk.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=130_168

Fun Fly 5.JPG

Fun Fly 6.JPG

Fun Fly Apres Maiden. (1) (Small).JPG

Edited by David Davis

So the cub just slots together with no real need for a plan to place parts into position for glueing etc..

Self jigged...

I saw the write up etc. Etc. When the kit was released.

Way back when, the precedent hiboy was s self jigged fuz, the wing being foam veneered.

I hope you took the time and effort to draw around all the parts as accurately as you could, so you can make another one ?

Not really a "stick and tissue" type assembly...

I still say get stick and Tissue kit, cut out the parts and assemble on the plan etc....you will learn more.

Cover with tissue or lightspan, trim and fly freeflight. Even a small inexpensive twenty inch span  free flight rubber powered model  will teach you a huge amount.

Enjoy.

May I ask please, where is Ivinghoe Beacon please ?

You will love slope soaring, even pss warbirds etc..

Will a  cub slope soar ?

Will a super 60 slope soar ?

Internet playing up...look on "outerzone", search " centennial found".

Easy to make wing ( use spruce spars ) which is extendable and can be used for sloping, just make a home made fuz.....even s powered glider, ice or electric powered...

Seen a ref foamy home made glider on here for ideas about suitable fuz....

Pm me your email for info, dimensions etc.