Faulty motor or esc

While it could be a myriad of things, the first that comes to mind is whether you're using a Futaba transmitter?  Why should that make a difference?  Futaba throttles work the opposite way to almost everyone else's and need reversing, otherwise most ESCs won't arm.  Also, have you calibrated your ESC - usually a case of connecting the battery with the throttle wide open (propeller NOT fitted please!) wait for the beeping to stop and close the throttle - refer to specific instructions if possible.  Don't forget that if you're reusing an IC model memory, the end points must be returned to 100% range.

• Like 1

Hi Martin, strange thing My 20 year old Fataba died. Making an entry into electrics with a budget fly sky i6a and a battered foamie ( my first foamie ever) 

I borrowed an esc, connected up and just turned power on with no prop.

motor turned so I assumed esc was duff. Connected up today with same set up but no go. Perhaps I need new esc and motor, it’s called the joys of flying lol.  Thanks

I would have to comment that a motor is far more robust than an ESC, A motor can stand a short duration 200% over load amps . An ESC is full of electronics that will fail instantly under such condition.

The most likely cause for "no motor" is a bad connection somewhere. The only solution is to wiggle ever connector to see what happens. Note just because you have wiggled a connection and it now works still requires that connector to be parted and re soldered. 

Next have you successfully bound the receiver to the transmitter.

Does the motor make any sounds when you connect the power with the transmitter switched. 

Does the ESC cause the motor to make an noises when power is supplied with the TX switched on

Almost any ESC will run almost any motor no matter how small so it is a good way of testing an ESC without risking it any damage 

Reconnected the ESC?  I assume you mean reconnected it to the receiver.

No - if your motor runs correctly then it may be a transmitter programming problem.  Do you have the ESC plugged in to the correct throttle channel in the receiver?  It may not be channel 3 as you're used to with Futaba - I don't know FlySky.  Do the other controls respond?  If not, there could be a binding error.

Sounds like a transmitter/receiver fault/connection  issue if its all up and running on a servo tester.

If using the fly sky 6 channel you can do the firmware upgrade to 10 channels for a little future proofing

Edited by Frank Day

Can you use the transmitter’s display function (section 5.4, page 14 of the manual) to make sure that the throttle channel output signal is actually changing with movement of the stick? And by how much?

The i6 has a throttle hold function, perhaps this has got set to zero by mistake.

Also check that the end points for the throttle channel are set to + and - 100% (same page of manual).

As the motor runs when the ESC is fed  with a signal from a servo tester, that suggests that the problem isn’t a faulty ESC or motor.

Here is the i6 manual if you don’t have it:

FS-i6+User+manual+20160819.pdf

Brian.

30 minutes ago, Fly Boy 3 said:

Will do Martin, but I do get full control when using servo tester system.

That’s exactly the point.  Your ESC and motor have been shown to be working so it has to be a problem with the signal being seen by the receiver.  Did you confirm that the other servos e.g. ailerons, elevator, respond to control inputs to confirm that your receiver is bound to the transmitter?  If so, then follow Rotten Row’s guidance. 

Could the ESC to Rx plug have been placed in 'upside down' ?  Result is no power to Rx.   Futaba had a bit on their plugs to stop this, but most other plugs don't have this now.

As has been said, it points to the ESC not liking the signal from the RX throttle channel - if the motor runs ok from a servo tester, plug a test servo into the tester and note its full sweep and direction and then plug the same servo into the RX throttle output  and perform a full sweep from the throttle stick - note any differences e.g reversing (identical) or throw which should be very small if at all. Chances are you'll see a difference in the throttle output movement which you should be able to correct to suit the ESC.

Had this before on a friend's model, some ESCs just seem a bit fussier than others.

Edited by Cuban8

Thanks for all your input into this problem.

Here is what I have done so far.

All connections checked for correct polarity and tightness  ok

Allother control surfaces moving correctly ok

End points and throttle hold  ok

Cannot perform esc training Martin as Tx will not switch on with throttle up

Start up beeps when battery is connected, same beeps when Tx switched on

Will try Cuban 8 suggestion after dinner

I am using  60amp esc ( only one I have lol) motor requires a 30  amp 

Fly skyi6a twin antenna moved during tests, but no joy.

This sounds like a problem I had with an ESC. It worked just fine until one day when I was testing it with the prop off, it simply wouldn't run the motor. It made all the right sounds, the 6 beeps to count the number of cells then the go signal but no action after that. I sent it back to the supplier but they repeatedly claimed it never arrived. I lost patience and bought another one from a different supplier.

My apologies. I am a DUNCE This is my first move into electrics ( second hand foamie and budget radio). After. 36 years with ic and Futaba, I assumed the Rx needed a supply. The supply I was using was from the esc . Therefore  there was no throttle signal going to the esc. I am so sorry. On the bright side I have learned a lot in a short time from the great knowledge of you leccy men.  Thank you very much. Could be an age thing, 86 next month and still learning and flying.  Cheers

• Like 4
  • Haha 2