Are small magnets a problem?

Erfolg

Advert

There are only a problem if/when they fall out. 

Rare earth magnets are strong.  Try to avoid them making physical contact or they will pull each other out from their mountings.  

Putting a piece of paper between helps to keep the magnets in place. 

30 minutes ago, Brian Cooper said:

There are only a problem if/when they fall out. 

Rare earth magnets are strong.  Try to avoid them making physical contact or they will pull each other out from their mountings.  

Putting a piece of paper between helps to keep the magnets in place. 

I always use a piece of tinplate instead of one magnet. That's always been strong enough & avoids the chance of accidentaly fitting magnets with like poles together.

12 minutes ago, PatMc said:

I always use a piece of tinplate instead of one magnet. That's always been strong enough & avoids the chance of accidentaly fitting magnets with like poles together.

Using a pice of tinplate works but it allows a component to "slide" across the plate.

Using two magnets firmly locks everything in place. 

Personally I usually use a pair of magnets and they are held in place by epoxy. It doesn't hurt to put a smear of epoxy across the surface of the magnet to lock it into the structure, however, sometimes, the pull can be too strong and they pull out. On some occasions I've made use of a steel washer in lieu of a second magnet. You can make good use of the magnets from inside a wrecked motor, if you liberate them, which have the advantage of being rectangular in plan view and so can be neatly stuck onto the corner of the hatch, with a fillet of epoxy and microballoons to hold them in place.

Having had a number pull out of their mountings I now use these which have a self-adhesive coating: 

https://www.first4magnets.com/circular-disc-rod-c34/8mm-dia-x-1mm-n35-neodymium-easypeel-adhesive-magnet-0-39kg-pull-p2988#ab_1_1|ps_2_1210

However I still epoxy or cyno them in place. The self adhesive is not strong enough on its own with the materials we use on our models but combined with glue they are pretty secure.

I use a marker pen to mark the magnet poles that attract . Nothing worse than glueing them in and finding they oppose one another😶.

Ive recently started using Toolstations thick grade cyano for fixing smaller magnets. It seems to set very tough and not brittle like some brands and has high solids plus a 50g bottle is under £5. 

6 hours ago, Simon Chaddock said:

It is a moving magnetic field that can effect a wire as it can induce voltages in the wire, particularly the tiny voltages in an aerial. As long as noting moves (vibration?) even a strong magnet will have no effect.

Or a wire moving in a magnetic field.....?