Celebrity flyers

ericrw

Advert

• 3 years later...

We had a visit some 20 years ago to our club by Richard Branson with his (then) young son Sam who wanted to learn to fly. Young Sam was a natural, but when I took Richard up with the trainer on a buddy box, it was clear that a model flier he was NOT. I did happen to mention jokingly that he might like to stick to balloons, which thankfully he took in the spirit it was intended.
He was an absolute gent while he was there, and even took us all to the local for a pint afterwards.

Posted by Essjay on 23/05/2014 13:40:14:

We had a visit some 20 years ago to our club by Richard Branson with his (then) young son Sam who wanted to learn to fly. Young Sam was a natural, but when I took Richard up with the trainer on a buddy box, it was clear that a model flier he was NOT. I did happen to mention jokingly that he might like to stick to balloons, which thankfully he took in the spirit it was intended.
He was an absolute gent while he was there, and even took us all to the local for a pint afterwards.

Nice story smiley

Dec Cluskey of the Batchelors used to fly with the **** club in Sussex and maybe still does for all I know. And someone mentioned the singer Heddle Nash earlier in this thread....... from the dates quoted that was Heddle Nash the father. His son, John Heddle Nash was also a very fine singer and a model flyer and used to fly with the Bromley Club. I was a mere schoolboy in those days (mid 60s) and used to spend far too much time in Avicraft which was where I met John Heddle Nash. He had a rich speaking voice and an amazing singing voice and he just loved singing........ I remember him taking me out flying one day, we were driving to the flying site and he was humming a little ditty which suddenly developed into a full blown aria! He flew an Enterprise "Navigator" but I remember him more for his voice than for his model flying! What a lovely guy.......... 'Happy dayzsmiley

I'm no celebrity but I fly RC and my uncle was in Coronation Street (late 60's early 70's) .... I remember receiving some good presents from him at the time! One was an electric free flight model, made of polystyrene, the battery was a small plastic pouch which had to be filled with salt water to activate it (does that ring any bells with anyone?)

In the early days of Sky TV I appeared in a program about RC car racing, I ran a popular RC car racing club, we were invited to set up a circuit at Granada Studios in Manchester where they filmed the piece.

I also remember Robbie Coltrane's interest in RC flying some years ago, as has been mentioned a gentleman with a real interest in 'all things mechanical'.

we have a member who has a very distinguished flying career .... Peter Masterman.....and a nicer man you couldn't meet.....his recollection of flying the various aircraft(list the length of your arm) is breath taking....

peter.jpg

javelin 2.jpg

ken Anderson......ne...1......PM dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 25/05/2014 08:17:59

for got to mention that Peter Masterman is also a member of the 'society of aeronautical engineer's ' and is listed as having been elected/joined in 1996 on the BMFA web site......his recollections about flying the gloster javelin is interesting to say the least-----I've mentioned on another forum thread the fact that I think and article about peter and his experience's would make a fantastic read in the RCME......but it fell on deaf ears? ...idea's for the mag etc....

ken Anderson ne..1 .....PM dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 25/05/2014 09:34:27

• 8 years later...
On 23/05/2014 at 10:30, Allan Bowker said:

I recently learned that Gary Barlow frequents an LMS in Cheshire now and again.
Would like to know more to confirm this.

Gary Barlow used to live in a house directly across the street from Webbies. It's quite likely that he might have popped in there now and again. I don't know if he was/is a model flyer though.

Vernon Kay is a great ambassador for model flying and often mentions it in his programme.