When is it "too windy"?

Hi All,

I realise this is an extremely subjective question depending on a number of other factors, not least ability, but "how strong does the wind have to be before you decide not to fly?".

Personally I've flown a trainer in 20mph+ winds and didn't much enjoy the experience. What I'd really like to know is not the maximum you'd actually could fly in, but more the point that the scales tip from "an enjoyable flight" to "a bit scary"!

Looking forward to some varied answers, I'm sure...

Advert

If I take the Stik out, then 20mph is fun, but if I take the Renegade out then 10 - 15 mph. Depends if the wind is across the strip as well
B.P

THe gauge I was told way back when was if you put your plane on the ground facng the wind and it stayed there then it wasn't TOO windy. If it was blown back then it was too windy

There are some that enjoy lying in the wind, I still conciously open the throttle downwind as I once lost an acrowot by reducing the throttle.

Edited By John Gibbs on 05/03/2011 19:52:04

Posted by Scruffmeister on 05/03/2011 18:58:29:
Hi All,

I realise this is an extremely subjective question depending on a number of other factors, not least ability, but "how strong does the wind have to be before you decide not to fly?".

Personally I've flown a trainer in 20mph+ winds and didn't much enjoy the experience. What I'd really like to know is not the maximum you'd actually could fly in, but more the point that the scales tip from "an enjoyable flight" to "a bit scary"!

Looking forward to some varied answers, I'm sure...

"A bit scary" is very gusty, and variable direction

I'm not sure a mph figure is of much use. I take my cues from visuals.

On those occasions when I've flown and then thougt "hmmm, that was a bit windy for enjoyment" I've gone home and then taken a few minutes to watch how the trees in the vicinity of our house were being blown about.

The result of doing that habitually is that I can look out of the window and make a judgement re whether its flyable or not. To test that I then went to the field a few times when my view was that it would be borderline at best, and I was nearly always right.

Worked for me. Others will have different methods

I liked the method used at a yacht club in Durban.

A member would go out onto the patio at the club house and light a match.

If it blew out, there was too much wind to sail.

If it didn't blow out there was not enough wind to sail.

If you couldn't sail, the only thing to do was to wait in the bar until the wind was suitable for sailing.

Similar standards could be applied to model flying.

For more practical testing, I agree with the one that if the model can't sit still on the ground, too windy.

It really depends on the model, the turbulence, and how confident the pilot is.

My personal best was flying an own design model (aptly called a Screamer) during the 1987 hurricane. The worst of the hurricane had passed, but the wind was reportedly still blowing at around 70 mph, and a friend(?) of mine betted me £5 that I would not fly in it.
Hey-ho --- I won.
The speed of the downwind passes were spectacular to say the least.
And the model survived.

There must be easier ways of making a fiver....

B.C.

I joined my model club in the winter and had no choice whether to fly or not.
Reason being is I work a two week on two week off rotation, i needed as much time on the sticks as i could get in to pass my A test.

Anyhow I learnt in very high winds and I belive that it made me a better flyer, 3 years now and I have only crashed one plane (touch wood) and that was down to radio failure. Of course I have had bumps when learning.

I have never called off a flying session due to high winds, if I felt I was no longer in control then I would for the safety of others. However I wouldent fly a scale plane in very high winds because I just havent got the money to replace one if something went wrong.

I really enjoy the challenge, there really is nothing more satisfying to me than going for it and coming out good. Landing without moveing forward (but nearly going backwards lol!) just floating down vertically twitching like a maddan is always a favorite of mine.

I learnt to fly on the slope, so never saw the wind as a problem, only lack of it. Now I fly powered, I still enjoy flying in windy conditions and often find I have the strip to myself. All I do is dial a couple of clicks of down trim to increase the model speed and enjoy. The only problem I find is the optical affect of landing my panic backwards.

I always take my brushless Twinstar II out when it's too windy to fly my other models. A couple of weeks ago was the only time I was unable to fly it due to the wind -- it got blown away whilst sitting in the pits while I was chatting, and broke the elevator clean off when it hit the ground tail-first, and stripped the servo gears at the same time.  From the looks of the trees, I'm guessing the wind was "strong breeze" on the Beaufort scale.

Edited By Allan Bennett on 10/03/2011 11:05:46