Newbie keeps crashing, advice needed

petercrash

Dear Sirs
I have re entered the hobby after a break of 40 odd years,and have spent a small fortune on various models,both fixed wing and rotary variety.I have crashed all and either binned or repaired virtually all. Can you please give me some advice.Do I join a club for help,and instruction. Would like to buy spectrum 6,is it easy to programme as I am somewhat of a numbty on modern gadgits.I have tried to fly various craft from a boomerang artf to a foam jet with very brief success.I would like to get better as it is costing a lot of money.To give you an indication of what I am on about.I have binned or burnt 2 foam sea furys 1 f15 foam 1 boomerang 25 and 2 rotary wings.Please can you help.

Regards Peter

Advert

welcome back, it never leaves the system, does it? from your description of your efforts,i think a club is most important to your future in this game, the ONLY model you have described, and thats only if its the trainer, not the jet type, is the boomerang, on rotary winged craft, i have no knowledge, exept to say if its got wings, i can probably fly it, but rotarys i have no chance with, for, i have not had a go at them, and dont intend doing,

these days, a computer tranny is the norm, its not hard, when in trouble, just RTM thats read the manual, every club has these outfits on the flightline, so, again, help will be there for you, no disrespect, but i guess you are in your 60s, its the kids these days that seem able to grasp it quickly, not the older end, you will need the correct model, and PATIENCE, and the ability to seek and recieve help, if you go on the BMFA site, you will find the clubs list, just enter your region, and they will appear before you, any questions, just holler, dont suffer alone, whatever question you have, an answer will appear, ok

I'd join a club or spend some serious time on a simulator (one of the Phoenix sims even comes with a DX5i I seem to recall). You can teach yourself to fly but it's seriously hard work.

I'd also second the opinion that you probably need to be more careful in terms of your plane choice. Warbirds (the Sea Fury) and Jets are some of the most difficult planes to fly! If you're determined to teach yourself to fly I can strongly recommend a JP 480SI (basically a Zagi). It bounces, it's cheap and it's very docile. This is what I used to teach myself when I got back into the hobby.  I'm now relatively proficient on low-wingers and fast planes but I'd still think twice about a warbird or a jet

Edited By Ben B on 04/12/2011 13:14:41

Start with high wing trainer and get proper instruction from your local club. After that you can start to consider warbirds and fast foam jets, your reaction times as a "newbie" are not up to what is required to handle such aircraft. This is not a criticism of your abilities but fact based upon teaching many people to fly over the years.

Been flying RC now for nearly 37 years and still get a "buzz" out of a good flight and likewise when a pupil goes solo for the first time.

Welcome back and, as mentioned earlier, patience is the key along with some good instruction.

hello and wellcome crash......from your description of the various models you have attempted to start with -i'm not surprised they have all gone to .....go back to the start and join a club-get advice ..have a good look at what other people recommend...an then and only then buy your next model...and make sure it's a high wing trainer...forget about jets/WW2 fighters and food mixers(heli's).....you' have more fun and learn the skill of radio control model flying.....

ken anderson ne..1 food mixer dept....

Welcome on board Peter!

I'd go along with all the excellent advice above. Modern Tx's are relatively straight forward to programme for the sort of basic functions you need on a trainer. When you're buying your tranny invest in a buddy lead at the same time.

Then either resurect your Boomerang (assuming as Alan said it is the high wing trainer called the Boomerang we are taling about) or buy a new high wing trainer, and take the lot; Tx, buddy lead and trainer, along to a club.

As Ben says, it is possible to teach yourself to fly model aeroplanes - buts its a very hard and very expensive way to learn - as you're finding out! The membership fee of a decent club will be paid back to you 100 times over in instruction, comradeship and saved models via the buddy lead! Clubs don't charge for instruction, people do it for the love of the hobby and the satisfaction of seeing a new flyer go solo sucessfully for the first time. So, get yourself along there and start learning in a very much less painful way! You will find a full list of all the clubs in England and Wales - and many in Scotland as well - here.

The suggestion to buy a simulator is a good one - they can certainly help you learn to fly - but (in my opinion and experience) they cannot teach you to fly. They make the process of learning quicker and easier for most people, but there is no substitute for time "on the sticks" with the real thing.

Finally, one step you have taken which is in the right direction is to join here. There are lots of experienced fliers on here happy to help and, just as usefully, there are many people who, not that long ago, were learning themselves - so the experience is still fresh in their minds so their advice to you can be very valuable. Keep posting and asking questions, it can only help.

BEB

Half a century ago, after wrecking several models, I found the best way to learn was a modified Soarcerer glider with a 10 sized glow on a pod. It virtually flew itself and if I ever tweaked the wrong stick it was totally obliging and sorted itself out.
This way, controlling the glider when it was flying towards me, soon ceased to be a problem. THEN I went to a high wing trainer -- the superb Kamco Kadet.
Even if you've got helpful clubmates you'll still have nasties........the glider approach would help reduce the grief ration. Good luck - it's all wonderful therapy.

Hi Peter, a fair bit of good advice already. I would add one thing up front, find a local or nearly local club and go visit. Don't just try e-mail type contact, go and meet them. Only then after finding out how they help newbies should you purchase any more than a decent model flight sim. Reason for this is it is best to have compatible radio equipment so that Buddy box assistance can be given.

Buddy box is the description of linking two compatible Transmitters together, the Instructor always has the Master and the new pilot the "slave" one. You only only have aircraft control at the instructors discretion, he/she grabs control back quickly when it goes wrong, and then gives control back to you when you are ready again.

Have fun,

Hello Peter.

While I kind of agree with the "go and join a club" advice, I think what you need is a flying companion so you can get a little bit of help to get you going again.

As stated earlier, some idea of your location on your profile would be good and you may find someone local willing to assist and guide you along.

I too came back quite some while ago and second time around I am even more hooked than before.

Good luck and have fun.

All good advice so far..........but what are the reasons for the crashes?
Model too advanced?
Manouvres too advanced?
Out of trim?
Out of eyesight range ?
Radio problems?
Or is the common thread they all crashed after 10 minutes or 15 minutes? I have noticed lots of older people cannot concentrate enough for more than about 10 minutes. Several people always lost it after 7 or 8 minutes.
20 years ago I always used to fly for 15 minutes but now I never fly for more than 10. And a lot less if the weather is cold when concentration is harder.

You must be the judge if you fly alone!

Edited By kc on 06/12/2011 15:13:53

You've got something there kc - I've just twigged that every time I've had a bad crash it's come right at the end of the flight!

Serious head back on, it is a very good point and one which I try to be aware of when teaching. There's only so much that you can absorb in a session (the true origin of the often used phrase, the learning curve applies here) and people will start losing confidence if they finish a session with some ragged flying - or worse.

I can certainly recall an incident of totally dumb thumbing one of my models at the end of a longish session when I decided to do one last manoeuvre after realising I was getting cold (and on reflection) tired...

Hi Petercrash, a lot of exellent advice given here.Think positive,and heed as much as you can. It is now the building season, so repairs or even new builds can progress.I read this years ago, and it still applies, there are only two types of pilot. Pilots who have crashed ,and pilots who have not crashed- YET. LoL. Stick with it and you will soon change your pen name to Peterflier. Cheers .

Hi Pete and welcome back.

I have been in a very similar situation to you, having just returned after a 30 year break. I initially found the changes in technology bewildering but this site has been a godsend and 99 percent of the advice is solid gold and helpful, it has certainly helped me. I had the same problem of what to go for to re-maiden after all this time. I strongly reccommend a push glider type a/c like the EZ star or the E Scale phoenix. They are slow, forgiving, fun and hugely entertaining but the best bit is they allow your confidence to grow. this worked for me along with a lot of stick time on a sim allowing one to get used to handling characteristics and stick orientation when the model is flying towards you. I came back in October and now find it so frustrating that the weather is against me....lol, cant wait for a break in the weather and get back up there again.

hope this helps and good luck with the landings.
Trev.

I agree with all the above, find a good club which has instructors. Go along a few times to make sure you fit in and then join. Many clubs will let you have a go on a club trainer prior to you signing up. The majority of instructors use buddy boxes. These give the instructor master control and when they push a sprung loaded lever the buddy box which you are holding takes control. The instructor will take your model up to a safe height at which time they will pass control to you and tel you what to do. At any time the model gets into difficulty they will take back control, so your model is fairly safe. they will then land the model for you. As your expertise increases they will get you to do take offs, landings etc, and then when up to a safe flying point, you either pass the club test or BMFA "A" Certificate, both of which are a basic competency test at which time you can fly solo.

I would also advise practicing on a simulator as it cuts down the number of week ends before you go solo.

All the best with your future flying.

Can't give better advice than already given.

I assume the post is serious. You have at least established that you are not going to be successful on you present course, and the advice given says the same thing from everyone.

A good and cheap simulator is Planemaster, available on ebay usually for around £20 including "transmitter". There would be no advantage buying a more expensive one at this stage.

I would suggest a Multiplex Funcub (don't buy their power system though), it is heavy enough for the A test, caters for many different flying skills, and being made of tough foam, takes a fair amount of punishment.

I would wait to buy a transmitter until you have looked at the club option, and then see what most at the club use, both for help in programming and buddy lead training.

It is easy to spend £600 on a big brand transmitter, or you could spend £60 on one that is not such a big name but does the same job, maybe better.

More time and thought would worthwhile on the TX choice.

Looking forward to seeing a change in your user name

When you've sorted out your basics, generally by following the advice given above, it's worth recalling the pearls of wisdom given by Hanno Prettner, several times world aerobatic champ, when asked how to avoid crashes. His reply was "Fly higher".

Welcome back to the hobby Peter, aeromodelling is like a disease that can lie dormant within your body for decades then come out again with all its symptoms decades later!

I agree with all of the above.

If you were to join a club I'd be surprised if they weren't very helpful and encouraging, besides you'd get the insurance with your subscription. Our club even has three trainers which beginners can use initially with transmitters linked by a buddy box lead. Two are i/c and the other is an electric powered model. We have a number of volunteers who are prepared to train you.

Frankly I'm not surprised you've crashed an F16 and two Sea Furys. Ask yourself this question. "Did the pilots of these aircraft learn to fly on F15s and Sea Furys?" Neither will you! A high winged trainer is the way to go but I would like to add just one little rider to all of the foregoing.

I see that you are coming back after a break of over 40 years. That suggests two things to me.

1. That you know how to build a model aircraft.
2. That you discovered girls at 14 so you are at least 54 years old!

In my experience mature learners can be very nervous and are better off at first flying a three-channel vintage model in calm weather. These models are mostly converted free flight models and so are intrinsically stable. If you get into trouble provided you have enough height, you can close the throttle and neutralise the controls and the model will sort itself out. I'd recommend the Super 60 or the Radio Queen from Ben Buckles kits as good trainers but virtually any vintage model would do.

Mind you, once you can fly a three-channel model you then have the problem of converting to four channels but by then you should be a lot more confident than you are now.

Of course you'd have to build one but you could then join our 2012 Vintage Mass Build event and fly with us at Greenacres. On the other hand you could always buy one on eBay.

Just my two pennorth....

• 4 weeks later...
I would definitely join a club or get help from a more experienced flyer and secondly I would not try to master fixed and rotary winged at the same time.