Filling the car up ... or not as the case may be!

avtur

Posted by Erfolg on 29/03/2012 18:16:48:

Should provide plenty of overtime for the Tanker Drivers, so that when they go on strike, it wont cost them anything.

Hmm, at the same time we will all go about our business, in our cars and vans, until any strike is over. Hmm, the vans and trucks are the issues, I bet they fill on a frequent basis.

Yep, it is time to stock up on food, I am of to the Supermarket, whilst stocks last.

Yes, be quick, the shelves will soon look like Zimbobwe.

You better get some spare gas bottles or charcoal, and some water purification tablets too.

Advert

Had no fuel around my area. My car is almost full, luckely, most of the work's vehicles. I usually make sure when I use the van/car/7.5t, I leave the tank full or nearly full. Most leave them so empty, one wonders if it will reach the end of the road. The works car was 75% full, flatbed 100%, VW Crafter 80% and the 7.5t at 70%. There was a sigh of relief when three vehicles has drop-offs/delivery and the panels had to go out before the tax year, or we'd be in trouble, both for tax reasons and the customer. Just managed to fill the works car, and get more points...smiley

all this panic over something that may not happen, i wonder what will happen in the future, when the oil starts to run out???? will we see armed troops ariving on horse and cart, weapons ready??

i was, tonight, on reserve tank, this happens when the cars got 50 miles left in it, i usually put in 30quid, tonight, i put in 60quid, at the very least, it will save me going next week!! yesterday, car broke down, had to get it greenflagged to the garage next to work, cost of taxi, for 6mile, was eight quid!!!! it was the alternator, by the way,

Personally, I can't see any problem. Don't use car very much (since Jul/11 did about 2500 miles) but I am in the city nearly every day. Didn't notice any bigger queues than usual (once I needed to wait about 30 minutes at Morrisons, but my tank was nealry dry..) and to be honest, just don't really care. I don't remember, when my tank was full and fill it up when needle lays flat and amber light of reserve seems to burn my eyes smiley. Usual amount I spend for diesel to my 206 1.9d is 10 pounds weekly.

Some people are lucky, as they know the truck drivers... Price per ltr varies between 0.60-1.10.... The only good thing about my car is fuel consumption. When I don't drive like an idiot, even 5 ltrs is ok for about a week - this is for work (sometimes as via agency), shopping and freedrivesmiley. To get to Liverpool and back, using just non-motorway traffic, the lowest cost was about 15 pounds.The other thing is my Provisional... When I pass at last the test, it's gonna hardly increase.

Fuel here in the US has gone up 6% in the last month, its now a whopping $1.37 a Gallon! Costs me nearly 27 quid to fill up the tank. I am NOT looking forward to getting back home in May and start having to pay UK prices again.

I wonder if the Army will be deployed. We do have a good number of professional HAZMAT Fuel Tanker drivers and operators; of course we have petrol tankers to bring up fuel from the rear, or fuel aircraft on the airfield, so its easy to do and shouldn't impact fuel flow to petrol stations too much, after the first few days of supply lag and nif naf between stinking strikers and those lads that have just returned from overseas and would appreciate a break. Which BTW, they get paid much less than those considering a strike. Sorry, sorry, nearly went off on a rant then!angry

Pure greed! Four times more than I get as a pensioner, a heck of a lot more than very good Nurses working full shifts, much more than full shift workers in the local "heavy industry". In fact more than twice as much as most wage earners in the UK. I have no sympathy for thier argument at all.

A Son and a Daughter would love to be getting half of what they get.

Tonight my local BP station are selling regular unleaded for 149.9/litre. I wonder if the till assistants are wearing stripey jumpers and muttering "stand and deliver" crook

I'm with Frank - I've worked out that if I take the train to work and get the food delivered by Sainsburys I'll be OK to go flying for weeks on what's in the car now!

BEB

Posted by flytilbroke on 29/03/2012 21:30:45:

Pure greed! Four times more than I get as a pensioner, a heck of a lot more than very good Nurses working full shifts, much more than full shift workers in the local "heavy industry". In fact more than twice as much as most wage earners in the UK. I have no sympathy for thier argument at all.

A Son and a Daughter would love to be getting half of what they get.

Interesting FTB....How much are they being paid and what is their complaint?...When tube drivers threatened to strike over bank holiday pay, Radio 4 did a programme asking people to guess how much they were paid...no one did!.....turned out it was 53k p.a. and a 35 hour week...whatever happened to striking because of genuine unfair treatment?

Andrew

It's amazing what you can run a diesel car on without damage ! Check out the Mitsubishi Pajero forum website that I frequent 'cos I've got one . It's eye opening ! Various mixtures of volatile (oil based) materials with various lubricants added if needed.There's a whole lot of useful info believe me . I won't tell you what I put in my tank ,only that others do . I'll give you a clue. smile d "Bio fuel " available at Tescos .I'll say no more !

Posted by Steve W-O on 29/03/2012 13:20:56:
Posted by Martin Harris on 29/03/2012 13:03:39:
Posted by Steve W-O on 29/03/2012 05:07:02:

Well, I am going to try this morning. One car is about 1/2 and the other 3/4, and I have probably 15l for the generator. So I have enough for maybe 2-3 weeks if I use the most economical vehicle. I am lucky, we don't need a car for school or shopping, I just need it to get to work as it would take more than an way on two busses, instead of the 15-20 minutes by car.

Words (nearly) fail me!

YOU, Steve, ARE THE PROBLEM. You normally seem such a sensible and level headed person but why fill up a car with 3/4 of a tank? Filling up from 1/2 a tank is bad enough...

There would be no problem if everyone simply carried on as normal - panic if you must if a strike is called but there is absolutely no point filling up now unless you need it!

I do think there might be some value in the deflection comments above...

Who said I filled up the one that was 3/4 full? Or did it just suit you to assume so to have your say?

I always fill up when they get to 1/2, so I am carrying on as normal. I do not know what will happen in the next few days, I may get delayed on the way to work and not have time to get fuel, the weekend is nearly here, opportunities are short to fill up as other family activities need the time, very soon that 1/2 tank is empty, and the car is not available for an emergency.

Yes, if there was a strike, I could use the generator fuel, and syphon fuel out of one car and put it in the other, but not wise under normal circumstances as we still have prevailing, so I would rather carry on the way I normally do and just fill it up at the station.

But on a lighter side, if I am the problem, then I don't see the problem is worth worrying about.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner Steve but I've spent the afternoon burning methanol and the evening in the company of my flying companions.

Actually, I didn't mean to suggest that you've caused the problem in isolation but that your action in apparently (from a reasonable interpretation of your post) contemplating filling 2 car tanks (plus your generator) from a position where you have plenty of fuel and there is no possibility of a strike for (at the very least) 7 days is the very behaviour which causes panic buying.

You've now explained that you always fill from half tank and you aren't planning to fill the 3/4 full tank yet (seems a pity you mentioned it) so I'm very happy to accept that you're not filling up out of panic but your post did give the impression that you were topping up and "battening down the hatches" with mention of running a generator (or maybe you're not connected to the mains?) That type of public statement, sadly, is just what feeds the panic and that is really the point I was trying to make.

Me? I filled up in Blackpool on Tuesday from a bit less than 1/4 of a tank, drove 210 miles home, went to work yesterday, to the field today and intend filling up as I would normally do shortly before the low fuel light comes on sometime early next week - hopefully the panic buying will have abated by then!

I could not allow it to run so low, a few months ago I had to make three trips back and forth to the hospital (due to them not knowing if they were coming or going) and if my tank had indicated 1/4, it would probably have run out, as it goes further on the first half than the second (they are incorrectly galled gauges, they are indicators)

We are connected to the mains, but the central heating does not work without electricity, and my late wife was not prepared to risk being cold! Have used it a total of about 14 hours in the last 10 years, longest for about 5 hours. Looked rather strange when the whole area was in darkness, and we had lights, heating, microwave and kettle etc smiley

Oh, and I didn't mention running the generator, just that I had fuel for it.

Bit of a waste, and it it too big for camping, but now it is here, it may as well be ready for use.

I do wonder what would happen if your light was about to come on, and you got stuck in traffic stalled by snow. Not only would you soon not be mobile, but also somewhat chilled.

I have nothing against the people filling up, or panic buying if those words are chosen, most of them have no idea, or no need to know the law about strikes, and probably wouldn't trust what they were told anyway, their actions don't affect me, as I am not going to be put out if a few petrol stations run out because my tank won't be near empty. They and others are the ones waiting in queues and getting stressed by the whole thing, my normal procedures allow glitches like this not to disrupt my life or get me upset.

Edited By Steve W-O on 30/03/2012 05:19:43

I went in for my normal diesel on Wednesday, a couple more cars than usual. I got my normal 2 gallons, Actually just over because I had done 200 miles since the last top up.

They told me that next time I could have double nectar points if I took more than 25 litres.

I only have a 16.5 litre tank on my car!