Fantasy Formula 1 (Fantasygp.com)

the unmagnificent man

Evening all!

With the Channel 4 highlights programme well underway, and the hour getting a bit late, I think we can safely publish today's results, safe in the knowledge that anybody who doesn't want to see them before the highlights finish will actually be watching them, and not surfing the 'net!

So here are our resuilts from Saudi Arabia today;

Pos League
Rank
Team Manager Pts
1 1 4 Essex Racing Tony Clark 192
2 16 16 Mannschaft Carl Brotherton 172
= 5 5 Pitts Specials john stones 172
4 3 1 GASTON Formula Chris McG 170
5 2 0 Iqonic racing iqon 162
6 6 2 DMFC Racing Team Simon Webb 143
7 11 2 Norfolk Flyers Kevin Fairgrieve 142
8 4 3 Team Charles Picd Charles Pic 133
9 14 0 PSS Power Flyer 123
10 10 1 Hans Brake Zoonie 119
= 8 2 The JP Specials johnpflyrc 119
12 9 2 Revers Racing Pete B 113
13 7 4 LetsGoTotoLetsGo GrumpyGnome 112
14 15 0 Oyster f1 Glenn Philbrick 106
15 12 0 teewrex John Tee 105
16 13 2 Torque of the devil Stu 94

Top scorer today is Tony with an impressive 192 points.

We have a tie for second,  with Carl (Erfolg) and John S both scoring 172 points.

Well done to today's top three,  and a special mention for Chris, just 2 points back in 4th today with his 'blind' banker predictions!  Hope you're recovering OK from Friday's op Chris!

So let's see how the overall table looks after today's race;

Pos League
Rank
Team Manager Pts
1 1 4 Essex Racing Tony Clark 360
2 2 0 Iqonic racing iqon 346
3 3 1 GASTON Formula Chris McG 343
4 4 3 Team Charles Picd Charles Pic 318
5 5 5 Pitts Specials john stones 309
6 6 2 DMFC Racing Team Simon Webb 301
7 7 4 LetsGoTotoLetsGo GrumpyGnome 295
8 8 2 The JP Specials johnpflyrc 281
9 9 2 Revers Racing Pete B 271
10 10 1 Hans Brake Zoonie 264
11 11 2 Norfolk Flyers Kevin Fairgrieve 246
12 12 0 teewrex John Tee 232
13 13 2 Torque of the devil Stu 227
14 14 0 PSS Power Flyer 218
15 15 0 Oyster f1 Glenn Philbrick 188
16 16 16 Mannschaft Carl Brotherton 172

Tony gains 4 places today to move up to top position.  Iqon remains unchanged in second and Chris moves up a place to third.

This all means that Charles slips 3 places to 4th.  Meanwhile John S moves up 5 places to fifth and Simon moves up 2 to sixth.

Heading downwards are the GrumpyGnome (down 4), myself and Pete B (both down 2) and Zoonie (down 1).  We now fill positions seven to ten.

Kev and Stu swap places, with Kev up 2 to 11th and Stu down 2 to 13th,  leaving John T unchanged in 12th.

Ade and Glenn are also non-movers in 14th and 15th, with Carl joining us in 16th, only 16 points adrift of 15th despite not having joined until after the first race.

Next up is Australia in 2 weeks time,  with qualifying and the race both starting at 6am.

[STOP PRESS]  It seems that Alonso's penalty has now been overturned,  so there will be changes to much of what I've written above! I'll post an update when FantasyGP reposts the results.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Todays paper states that Alonso has been reinstated as third.

I am shocked that after the promises that the FIA would not be swayed by representations by team representatives, without due consideration and review. What happens when Mercedes protests Alonso's third place.

I do wonder that the coverage by Mercedes with respect to Lewis, is more about maintaining coverage of the Mercedes cars than anything else. On the same subject it does seem to me that Russel is the way for the future. At this time he is out performing Lewis, has potentially a much longer  future as a driver. The drivers job (and the test drivers) is to inform the team members of what the car does and is deficient with. It is the Engineers and managements jobs to sort out the developments, with the driver in support.

3 hours ago, Erfolg said:

I am shocked that after the promises that the FIA would not be swayed by representations by team representatives, without due consideration and review. What happens when Mercedes protests Alonso's third place.

I do wonder that the coverage by Mercedes with respect to Lewis, is more about maintaining coverage of the Mercedes cars than anything else. On the same subject it does seem to me that Russel is the way for the future. At this time he is out performing Lewis, has potentially a much longer  future as a driver. The drivers job (and the test drivers) is to inform the team members of what the car does and is deficient with. It is the Engineers and managements jobs to sort out the developments, with the driver in support.

Lewis is nearing his forties, self evident a younger man is the future, whether that's George or another new kid on the block remains to be seen. Not a Merc fan but alongside Lewis they set some standard that'll be very very hard to match.

8 hours ago, Erfolg said:

Reinstatement seems fair if they can provide evidence that the Stewards haven't acted consistently. And I don't think the FIA has told teams that historical instances will not impact current decisions.  And, of course, it earns me more points 🙂

Russel may well be the future - time marches on after all - but if the benchmark is the driver standings, then Russel is not out-performing Hamilton.

Regarding development, none if us (I don't think) has access to the feedback that the drivers provide........ given the history, experience, and relationship, I'd be pretty confident that Hamilton can provide 'better' feedback to allow development, than Russel can at this point in his career. 

I'm not knocking Russel, I think he's one of the few drivers on the grid that seems capable of winning a WC at some point..... but I do think there is a tendency to downplay Hamilton unfairly. 

Take 2!

So, following Alonso's reinstatement on the podium, all but one of us have gained between 3 and 16 points.  John T however has lost 8 points...  

Here are the revised scores from yesterday!

Pos League
Rank
Team Manager Pts
1 1 4 Essex Racing Tony Clark 208
2 16 16 Mannschaft Carl Brotherton 185
3 2 0 Iqonic racing iqon 178
4 3 1 GASTON Formula Chris McG 176
5 5 5 Pitts Specials john stones 175
6 11 2 Norfolk Flyers Kevin Fairgrieve 155
7 6 2 DMFC Racing Team Simon Webb 153
8 4 3 Team Charles Picd Charles Pic 146
9 13 1 PSS Power Flyer 133
10 8 2 The JP Specials johnpflyrc 132
11 10 1 Hans Brake Zoonie 127
12 9 2 Revers Racing Pete B 126
13 7 4 LetsGoTotoLetsGo GrumpyGnome 125
14 15 0 Oyster f1 Glenn Philbrick 114
15 12 1 Torque of the devil Stu 110
16 14 2 teewrex John Tee 97

Tony and Carl hold on to their top two places with increased points scores.  But it's now Iqon who joins them on our podium as he gained more points from Alonso that John S did.  

Looking then at the overall table now;

os League
Rank
Team Manager Pts
1 1 4 Essex Racing Tony Clark 376
2 2 0 Iqonic racing iqon 362
3 3 1 GASTON Formula Chris McG 349
4 4 3 Team Charles Picd Charles Pic 331
5 5 5 Pitts Specials john stones 312
6 6 2 DMFC Racing Team Simon Webb 311
7 7 4 LetsGoTotoLetsGo GrumpyGnome 308
8 8 2 The JP Specials johnpflyrc 294
9 9 2 Revers Racing Pete B 284
10 10 1 Hans Brake Zoonie 272
11 11 2 Norfolk Flyers Kevin Fairgrieve 259
12 12 1 Torque of the devil Stu 243
13 13 1 PSS Power Flyer 228
14 14 2 teewrex John Tee 224
15 15 0 Oyster f1 Glenn Philbrick 196
16 16 16 Mannschaft Carl Brotherton 185

Places 1 to 11 remain unchanged from yesterday, as do the final two places.

But Stu and Ade both move up a place to 12th and 13th, with John T slipping 2 places to 14th.

Onwards to Melbourne!

• Like 3

Hi to all,

A great thanks to John P for his 'special mention'.

Predictions could have been quite a bit better hence my surprise to find myself still near the top of the field...

I was able to leave IC on the sunday morning enabling me to watch the GP from my room. A bit uncomfortable but still great...

Back home since this afternoon and still feeling very 'weak' but this can only get better within the days left before the Down Under-race.

Cheers to all

Chris

• Like 5

Expect to see Oscar Piastri  ( Mr Pastry! )   do well in Australia -his home country- after such a strong showing against his teammate last weekend.   A major talent who I expect to be a world champ in a few years if there is any justice.

• Haha 1

Being new to the league I have made my predictions prior to the reminder to do so.

I have been surprised that much of what I have read with respect to Mercedes is pretty adamant that they will not feature this year. Given that the Aston uses both the powertrain and suspension of Mercedes. On that basis the power and suspension is pretty much sorted. That principally leaves the aero aspect. I am certain that Mercedes have measured both the Aston and the Red Bull body work accurately from various images. They probably know what body work flexibility is useful and what others are working with. I expect that they will achieve a lot quickly, not becoming another McClaren or Williams.

I have just finished reading a technical review of the C type (or P) Auto Union. It did surprise me that so little has changed in RC design. The suspension was stiff (read rock solid) earlier relying on chassis flexibility (ladder frame), now side wall deflections. That both the C and W125 (Mercedes) being wind tunnel designed, recognising that then front end body lift was an major issue. That the lap times were pretty close. I always thought that John Bernard came up with space allocation for the engine (as well as the electronic gearbox, safety cell etc) Auto Union did the same with the D type to improve polar inertia. Nothing changes as much as you (that is me) thinks, so it seems.

I'm pretty confident that Merc know all the dimensions of all the other cars but are in a conundrum of spending time and money on the current vehicle (it has to remain relatively competitive...), or changing their aero approach.  Under the budget cap, they probably can't afford both.......

OK folks...  normally I'd post my 'customary reminder' on Friday evening.  But - as indeed Iqon's post has served to remind us - both qualifying and the race are at 6 am UK time this weekend.  So first;

Don't forget your predictions!

Why not follow Iqon's example and set some "banker" predictions now?  You can always change them later if the practice sessions bring up any surprises.  OR if you're reading this on Friday morning (or afternoon!) then P1 and P2 will have already taken place.  

I'm going to do my predictions now...

• Thanks 1