Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Advert

Here's my latest.. its a scaled down loaded dice. spec: 38inch span / AXI2808/24 / 3S 2400 lipo / 10x5.5 apc e prop. all sheet wing. Flies really smooth and straight off the board with only a couple of clicks up elevator. pleased as punch with it. BTW takes off from rough grass with that forward U/c and long tail moment!!

20170914_093530.jpg

Here's my latest build, a slightly [90%] scaled down Swizzle Stick 30 made from a downloaded free plan. I scaled it down to use a wing I had previously built. It weights a kilo. I'm using an 890kV motor with a 9x9 APC prop drawing 19.5 amps for about 220 watts.

It was too windy to fly today; even the birds were sitting it out on the runway.

Swizzle Stick

Swizzle Stick 1

Edited By Steven Shaw on 20/09/2017 21:50:36

VQ Models Bf108 with SC91 FS, maidened on Tuesday. Unfortunately the engine that came in it needs a carb overhaul and the flight ended deadstick. Luckily the model glides quite well, though I can now say with some certainty that if the engine cuts at the topof a loop it will drop straight into a spin which takes a fair bit of height to recover from surprise

vq models bf108.jpg

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 21/09/2017 11:01:31:

I bet that spin was a brown trouser moment (or even two moments!) but it looks an attractive model and a bit different from the more common 109s.

Geoff

Unfortunately clean underwear was missing from my spares box on that day, maybe incontinence pants would be a good idea for maiden flight days! The glide back to the strip for a downwind landing proved that it's pretty much without vices - when it's the right way up.

I was quite impressed with the build quality of the VQ airframe, it's not a brand that I've come across other than one evil handling Yak example.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 21/09/2017 11:10:29

Posted by Chris Walby on 21/09/2017 16:48:14:

Off topic, Helpful club members to photo/video the event! Hey someone start a new thread.....what's needed for a maiden!

_njt2129.jpg

It might as well be a new model after putting back together again!

Mind, a variant of Spot the Ball, of footie fame. How many broken bits over 5 grams.

The photo does raise a number of questions.

My own impression is that the model has left the trolley, at perhaps than a less than optimum velocity. It also looks like to much up elevon has been fead in, that the model has then semi stalled, into a roll. The result od which we can see.

I have watched a few model Vulcans take to the air. More often than not the issue is that the pusher props are prone to striking the ground, particularly with a UC. That initially getting the model into the air is a struggle, once airborne, there are no issues at all.

Posted by Tony Cook on 22/09/2017 19:28:25:

Member at our club has a YT Mach Racer Delta, never flown, had it years and wanted rid of it..on the premise that he could see it fly. So all kitted out JR gear 35meg and old webra heli engine..weighs nothing so should be pretty hairy. Maiden this weekend weather permitting.

15060938389881818637375.jpg

This looks like it will be great fun handy having undercarriage too. That webra is perfect I had a small hawk with a leo 37 in it 8x8 @ 16,000 rpm for the 2 years I had it, it was the most fun plane I had. That thing will be fast with that webra in it good times ahead lol

Bought at the Nationals swap meet for £80. Wot 4 XL with Irvine .72 two stroke. I could see it needed work to the U/C area and recovering from the wing forward but what I didn't see is that at one point the fuselage had been broken in many places and repaired with copious amounts of epoxy! 4 hours of work and the fuzz is now straight and strong again with a new U/C plate and lower front end rebuild.

It's now been out on 2 different days and has already logged over an hour of flying and bomb dropping missions including high/low level and toss bombing. Went well today too in the 15mph winds even with two deadsticks whilst trying out different props to find the best suitor for the engine.

20170919_192645.jpg

20170919_192727.jpg