Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Martin, the model is electric.

I have the windshield to fit yet and then a battery tray to make. For some reason the battery tray I had made has gone missing. I have looked high and low for it, it is not to be found. Yet possibly a month back I came across it and thought what is it doing here. But where is here?

I will make a new one.

Possibly the most pressing matter is doing a watt/ampage check. I have a 45 amp ESC, which may be OK, I have a 6200 4s Lipo. But until I have some values, I am not certain, in a ball park manner, the necessary ESC needed relative to the watts the set up will pull, or how many watts I need. Once all of this is confirmed, hopefully, I can estimate the Lipo size needed for a 6 minute flight (minimum). I once had all the estimates on a piece of old paper, now lost.

The head is the arming plug, as access to the inside is convoluted.

Perhaps one of the most satisfying aspects of finishing the model, are the decals.

The ones that came with the kit were unusable, being brittle and falling apart. I tried spraying the existing ones with water based varnish, which only partially working, although stronger.

The solution was to scan in the decal images, work on them with software and finally touch up some aspects with lining pen and inks and paint. Then print onto decal paper, again over spraying with water based varnish, they are not perfect, acceptable to me.

Are newish or half new models allowed in the threadlaugh.

I have an 81" Brian Taylor Mosquito that flew with RCV 60SP engines for a number of years. I had an engine out incident a couple of years back and could not get back to the runway and the model landed in a hollow in the rough pasture outside our field. The fuselage did not actually hit the ground as the wings landed on the lips of the hollow. The fuselage was hardly damaged because it did not tough the ground, but the wings were badly broken. I have now built a new wing rather than trying to make major structural repairs. As I have converted entirely to electric flight in the meantime, I have rebuilt it as electric power. Interestingly, the electric version weighs 17lb 12oz ready to fly, the IC version weighed exactly the same dry (without fuel).

Hyperion ZS 4025-16 320kV motors with 16x12 APC E props driven by 6S 4000mAh batteries through HobbyWing Platinum 80A V4 ESCs. Measurements gave 6,450rpm at 22.3V with 47.5A, so about 1050W each = 2100W. The pull on the ground was tremendous and much more than the RCV 60SP engines which never reached much above 5,500rpm on 16x12 props. The RCV engines flew the model sedately, the motors will give a potential 20% boost to top speed, but more importantly 40% more thrust, which is why it felt so powerful on the ground.

Fuselage after the engine out landing in perfect condition1480-3 incident (custom).jpg

Wing in 3 parts1480-5 incident (custom).jpg

RCV 60SP engines during original build1431 engines installed.jpg

Motors and ESCs1492 motor + esc (custom).jpg

Battery hatch cut into cowl and box1495 left nacelle battery (custom).jpg

Ready to fly again1501 ready to fly again (custom).jpg

638f7192-07ca-46aa-aa61-143a46892ce4.jpegHere is my just finished Westwings Skylark glider . I built it with a tow hook, so it can be launched with piloting by club mates of my Wot 4XL tow plane181e41b5-4940-4566-b749-16c335deeae6.jpeg. The kit instructions were a bit vague on the wing joiner and I decided to build the wing as a one piece and I’m pleased I did as it saves a lot of fiddling around plus I think it might be stronger 😊

Edited By Tim Flyer on 11/09/2019 11:42:14

Ok so this is not my model and you're all sick to the back teeth with me going on about La Coupe Des Barons but I saw this model at the competition and I thought you might be interested in seeing it especially as the builders were so young. The lad on the left flew it and it was one of the 15 or 20 models which were still serviceable after the end of the event.

young lads aircraft (1).jpg

young lads aircraft (2).jpg