Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 08/04/2020 17:19:18:

Don`t really know about compression and starting because I now only use an electric starter. Mine has plenty of power for the model and the top end is fine, same plug and fuel as yourself. Phoned JE and got them to measure a new idle needle which agreed with mine. I can only think that my jet is too large. In the end I have drilled an air bleed hole, gradually increasing the size until the motor will idle for a good 30 secs.

The guy who did a review of the SC30FS recommends not to use an electric starter in case of doing some internal damage. But' I made a starter from a car windscreen wiper motor and it doesn't have a lot of torque. It will drive a small motor but I doubt it will do any real harm in an hydraulic lock situation.

Review here:-

http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Engine%20Tests/SC%2030%20FS.html

Apologies for off topic post.

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 08/04/2020 16:36:36:

Another Spit. Brian? Have you run the motor yet because the one I had, also for a Spit., had to go back for a refund after the camshaft started to break up with less than two tanks through it. 2k revs down on the smallest recommended prop. as well.

Not had much luck with new motors lately, Lasers excepted.

Yup, yet another Spitfire. I am a sucker for them. They just look sooooo beautiful, and I can't resist having a few in my hangar.

Nope, I haven't run the NGH 38 yet. It is about 2 years old but has never been run. I was hoping this (30cc) Spit would be a good home for it but I am already having doubts as they don't seem to be revered as being over-endowed with power.

I will run it, but if it is in any way limp-wristed and "asthmatic", it will be replaced with something with more muscle before it has its first flight.

B. C.

Edited By Brian Cooper on 09/04/2020 04:21:48

The ultimate 'Hanger Queen' built in 1990, exhibited at The Model Engineer Exhibition at Olympia but never flown. Now refitted with electric power instead of the .40 two stroke originally fitted. Due for a test flight whenever we are free of lockdown....

1-img_3998.jpg

My own design and built for a two stroke, but when I showed it to Alec Gee at Old Warden  ASP Designs Day back in 1990 he said it deserves a four stroke.   So I waited until I had a sutable forur stroke and that day never came!  The nose has been extended for electric to get CG right without lead. All up weight is 4 pounds 9 ounces with 4S3000. Span is 54 inches, foam wing, built up balsa fuselage. Big thick wing section 19 percent 510 sq inches. Will it fly?.............

Edited By kc on 12/04/2020 13:37:12

Hi All,

Just finished my Flair Cap 230, powered by an OS 52FS I had to put the battery under the pilot to achieve the correct CoG.

dsc07997a.jpg

I had to add 20g of lead to counteract the side-mounted engine

dsc08001a.jpg

dsc07996a.jpg

The instrument panel was taken from the net.

Looking forward to flying her if and when the lockdown ends.

Regards

Robert

dsc_0115.jpgdsc_0114.jpgJust finished this plan built Curare, it has foam cored wings and tailplane cut for me by Cloud Models, fitted with electric retracts and powered by an OS 65 AX motor. I am waiting for a couple of props to arrive and this lockdown to be lifted so I can get out and give it it's maiden.

In the mean time I will crack on and get a PB Tornado ( also supplied by Cloud Models ) Built.smiley

Regards

Malc

Hi Guys

John

You're so right. As soon as I got it out the bug(ger)s were clustered round it. Must have thought it was some weird flower.

Weren't even practising social distancing, shame on them!

Martin

Thanks for the offer but I had to move the motor way forwards to get the c/g right, so probably wouldn't fit. Anyway, need to see if it flies first. It needs to earn the right to be finished off.

Cheers

Jeff