Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

My latest model, a Seagull Chipmunk powered by a Laser 100, flew for the fist time today with the cowl on. As it was a new engine I had the first 5 flights with the cowl off. The first flight today had the spinner on but starting up for the second flight the spinner nut came loose, it is very awkward to refit and I did not want to loose the screws in the grass. I am more than happy with the Laser engine which has more than enough power for scale flight. Flying with the spinner off probably helped the cooling but it was not a problem on the first flight as I had made a deflector to scoop air in from underneath onto the cylinder head as well as air from the front deflected around the cylinder.

_20210513_220534[2200].JPG

• Like 7

Warbirds Replicas Yak3. A few tiny jobs to do such as straighten the cowl, fit exhaust stacks, fit aileron servos, and the fun bit of panel lines, rivets, weathering.

My first time spraying emulsion. First coats with a car spray paint gun. Went on OK, but with more runs than Alistair Cook... Second coats with an airbrush. Took ages but went on really well.

Maiden next week, if all else gets done!

Graham

Yak3 160521-1.jpg

Yak3 160521-2.jpg

Yak3 160521-3.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Plan- built Gloster Gladiator courtesy of my pal Jim. 48" span, 6.5lbs, 17oz/sq ft wingloading. Runs on 3s2p2250mah G-Power lipos. She's a real beauty, with fantastic cockpit detail excellent flying characteristics and I hope that I can live up to thiose very high modelling standards. Delighted to have the Gladiator in my fleet for the future.

IMG_3454.JPG

IMG_3446.JPG

DSC_0404.JPG

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Latest maiden yesterday, scratch built depron EE Lightning , first effort with FMS 50mm edf was marginal for  power so I rebuilt with  75 mm fan from E-Max  which needed the fuse to be square instead of slab sided , trades off scale for power, but gives a much more positive take off at 45degrees  and I think still is  cartoon scale

Photo courtesy of my clubmate Steve Firth

DSC_0251.JPG

• Like 4

On 09/04/2021 at 20:56, Graham Davies 3 said:

Re-maidened my Cambrian Spitfire today. First attempt was, er, exciting due to slightly rearward C of G. Some necessary rhinoplasty, re-positioned elevator and rudder servos and an ounce of lead up front, and she was a pussycat...

spit 100221-7.jpg

Superb finish to your Spit, well done!

I have the same kit awaiting lazy builder to start here! But just out of curiosity, where did you settle for the new CofG.....was it much different to the one in the plans?

Thanks Alan, it's looking a bit more 'naturally weathered' now!

I Can't remember exactly, but I may have been 4 or 5mm behind the recommended point for the maiden and I've now balanced 3mm ahed. I think it's at 65mm, but whichever, that was were I was relative to the plan position. Given how it flies, it indicates that the CofG is about correct now.

There is one other smoking gun I found on the first flight; aileron alignment. It's not particularly easy to align them due to the washout. They never look quite right. I think I lowered the trailing edge of both prior to the second flight to reduce any reflex as this will not have helped.

She flies really nicely now

Graham

• Like 1

Flight time depends on throttle usage obviously, started off looking at 15 - 20 mins from 2 x 3S 2650mAH packs paralleled .

With vertical assents from take off to 650ft, seems to have shortened the flight time down to 10 - 15 mins.

Found the thrust line issues on the vertical assents and loops, hopefully now resolved.

• Like 1

Hi all, here is the latest model to fly out of the lockdown workshop. Focke Wulf 190 D. Basically the Clive Smalley free plan from the 1979 rcm&e Scale Special . Enlarged to 48" wingspan, takes off from a drop off undercarriage, 4s lipo.

In the air it feels as if it's on rails & has all the presence of a powerful fighter.

Cheers John.

IMG_1269.thumb.JPG.2ee2ede2c4d9e6747d7e3e53eea8762e.JPG

• Like 6

Hi all.

Some details of the Dora. Wing span 48",  4s  4000mAh  lipo, motor is Turnigy 35-48. 840 kv, 12 x 6 prop,  weight is 4lb 12oz,wing loading works out at 29 oz/sq ft. So it's not a lightweight.

A drop off dolly is a much safer & more reliable way of getting into the air than a hand launch. 

The photo's are self explanatory, the fuselage is supported at the le & the dolly hooks over the te. The ' hooks'  are flexible foam, don't make the fit too snug or it will hang up. 

This dolly was quickly cobbled together from bits that were to hand, it's not pretty but it works ok. The photo also shows an earlier dolly that gave reliable launches to a P40 for many years.

Hope this helps . 

Cheers John.

IMG_1271.JPG

IMG_1272.JPG

IMG_1273.JPG

IMG_1186.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John Timmis said:

Hi all.

Some details of the Dora. Wing span 48",  4s  4000mAh  lipo, motor is Turnigy 35-48. 840 kv, 12 x 6 prop,  weight is 4lb 12oz,wing loading works out at 29 oz/sq ft. So it's not a lightweight.

A drop off dolly is a much safer & more reliable way of getting into the air than a hand launch. 

The photo's are self explanatory, the fuselage is supported at the le & the dolly hooks over the te. The ' hooks'  are flexible foam, don't make the fit too snug or it will hang up. 

This dolly was quickly cobbled together from bits that were to hand, it's not pretty but it works ok. The photo also shows an earlier dolly that gave reliable launches to a P40 for many years.

Hope this helps . 

Cheers John.

IMG_1271.JPG

IMG_1272.JPG

IMG_1273.JPG

IMG_1186.JPG

Thanks John. Will make something similar for my tempest posted on previous page. Was feeling a little apprehensive about tossing it before it's trimed out and I get the throws right.