Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

10 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

I think that 'stang featured in 'Band of Brothers'.

And maybe one of the two in "Saving Private Ryan"?  I had a surreal experience back around '97 when I was out and about one lunchtime.  I heard a pair of Merlins and saw 2 Mustangs in close formation over the outskirts of St. Albans making low passes in the direction of Hatfield Airfield (BAe as was).  I drove over to a BT field test station adjacent to the airfield and parked up - in clear sight of a French village being strafed!  It just felt so real if you didn't look around...

72 inch TN C47, First ever build started six years ago and now nearly finished. Not my best work and shall we say lots of not how to in there, but its been checked over by me and taxied a couple of time and nothing fell off it. Awaiting club inspector and less blustery wind over the trees.

image.png.a7da0276faf5d23e170cef8355422d57.png 

The odd green strips will be rattle can black and the nose, window etc will all be finished if it makes it through the maiden and better weather for painting comes along. Rattle can "leaf green" will have to do and it will be a good pallet to try my weathering skills (or lack of them) out.

Running 4-Max electrics two 3S3300, inrunners 1105KV and 60A ESC's

PS - still a mystery as to the dickens you cover the wing to fuselage faring bits....curved, concaved and tapered...drove me nuts just shaping them. 

• Like 4

On 10/04/2021 at 16:21, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

And maybe one of the two in "Saving Private Ryan"?  I had a surreal experience back around '97 when I was out and about one lunchtime.  I heard a pair of Merlins and saw 2 Mustangs in close formation over the outskirts of St. Albans making low passes in the direction of Hatfield Airfield (BAe as was).  I drove over to a BT field test station adjacent to the airfield and parked up - in clear sight of a French village being strafed!  It just felt so real if you didn't look around...

Actually my mention of Band of Brothers was more of a tongue-in-cheek reference to the rubber band on the nose of Eric’s P51 ?

Thanks, Ron, Graham. The bipe is, I think, a Precedent Bi-Fly. No idea where it came from, found it in the loft, full of Futaba gear and an OS25. Don't remember either buying it or building it!! Have electrified it and lost a pound of weight in the process. Hope it flies as good as it looks. Can't wait to fly the Quickie Ghost as well, have followed Shaun (Garrity)'s article and put a galloping ghost actuator in it. Right out of my comfort zone but looks great fun.

David

On 11/04/2021 at 21:20, Chris Walby said:

72 inch TN C47, First ever build started six years ago and now nearly finished. Not my best work and shall we say lots of not how to in there, but its been checked over by me and taxied a couple of time and nothing fell off it. Awaiting club inspector and less blustery wind over the trees.

PS - still a mystery as to the dickens you cover the wing to fuselage faring bits....curved, concaved and tapered...drove me nuts just shaping them. 

Nice Work Chris, I built my TN Dak many years back from memory, although I could go and get it out of storage and have a look! I think I made the faring out of thin ply over a balsa bottom frame, plus lots of, put the wing on, Take the wing off again.

TOP TIP  for first flight "DO NOT FLY IT ON THE ELEVATOR!" specially when landing, use the elevators too only to keep it level. Use the throttle to control ascent or descent. Georges setup will give you plenty of power, it's very similar to mine.

On Takeoff let the speed build up & be gentle on the elevator, this aircraft will BITE! If it does let it go through one rotation & recover.

Keep the speed up and the angle of attack under control, and it will fly well, look part and give you hours of joy.

IMG_009a.jpg

• Like 2

Well, the first flight was a bit more exciting than I really wanted as I found the C of G was a bit aft of comfortable. All part of the fun of designing your own I suppose ?.

The motor is an Airtek Airmax 3536/1100, which is producing about 280W when fitted with a 9 x 6 prop and using a 2200 3s LiPo. This seemed more than enough, even with all the drag from the struts & rigging.

I tried a stall from about 3 mistakes high, which resulted a a rapid wing drop.  Hopefully that will be tamed a bit with some more church roof in the front.

It certainly looks different in the air, although as one of my clubmates commented, the orientation isn't as clear as you might expect.

I think I might fit some slightly bigger wheels before the next flight. There's not much clearance between the bottom of the skids and the ground which seemed to be causing a lot of drag until it got moving.

BoxK6-reduced.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/04/2021 at 16:28, David Holland 2 said:

Going flying tomorrow, first time this year. Had cataract surgery to both eyes, left in January and t’other a couple of weeks ago and the results are truly amazing. So got to try them out tomorrow and then screw up the courage to maiden the fruits of my lockdown labours.......

David

89B7915F-EBAD-42A4-8A14-E992AE4CC32B.jpeg

99E3FB59-006A-4A47-8933-472AFC31EC8B.jpeg

BF912F21-BA8E-42FF-AAD4-7BD67E9452D8.jpeg

22D973C2-077D-41BE-9557-23A427F2B5BB.jpeg

AFE3AF1A-4C0E-4794-97D2-6D2BAFED8827.jpeg

A66A051B-DD3B-484E-B193-E7796403419B.jpeg

84DDC644-6C89-4A87-A4C9-1BC00A22091B.jpeg

Very Nice DR400. Is it a Precedent?

• Like 1

Hello Robin, Bob, yes, it is a President, DR 500/200i to give it its full title. There is a long story behind it which I will summarise as briefly as I can. I learned to fly in the 1970s and joined a group flying a Robin DR315, the first nose wheel Robin. It was effectively a DR220 Dauphin with tri-gear. Absolutely gorgeous little aeroplane, only had a 120 horse Lycoming 0-235 and 4 seats but really a 2+2, not a mean bone in its body. Solo with half tanks it was great fun. I started an own design model but life got in the way and it sat neglected until the lockdown. In the early 2000s came the opportunity to share a 500 with another chap from the 315 group and I have been flying “MAGZ” since, 700 odd hours on the 315 and 400 and something on GZ and you could say that I’m something of a Robin fan. She has a 200hp Lycoming 0-360 with a constant speed propellor and is a very capable aeroplane. Part of the reason the model stalled (not in the aeronautical sense) was the canopy, over 2feet long but I decided to carve it out of pink foam and paint the glazing. The airframes are very similar but MAGZ has wing tanks and a very different engine cowling. It is about 80 inch span, between 1/5 and 1/4 scale, electric with 6s and a 60mm dia motor. The spats, which are quite distinctive, were a pain but unavoidable. I’m really pleased with the finished article (and will be more so if it flys!!). A couple more pictures attached.

Thanks for you interest,

David

58BE4610-A8A1-4955-8648-AAEB1ACF7916.jpeg

F06BE81D-8159-400E-B52B-41113708B45D.jpeg

1EBC706C-5BF7-4175-BA6E-DDFE694FF051.jpeg

• Like 6

On 14/04/2021 at 17:20, David Holland 2 said:

Hello Robin, Bob, yes, it is a President, DR 500/200i to give it its full title. There is a long story behind it which I will summarise as briefly as I can. I learned to fly in the 1970s and joined a group flying a Robin DR315, the first nose wheel Robin. It was effectively a DR220 Dauphin with tri-gear. Absolutely gorgeous little aeroplane, only had a 120 horse Lycoming 0-235 and 4 seats but really a 2+2, not a mean bone in its body. Solo with half tanks it was great fun. I started an own design model but life got in the way and it sat neglected until the lockdown. In the early 2000s came the opportunity to share a 500 with another chap from the 315 group and I have been flying “MAGZ” since, 700 odd hours on the 315 and 400 and something on GZ and you could say that I’m something of a Robin fan. She has a 200hp Lycoming 0-360 with a constant speed propellor and is a very capable aeroplane. Part of the reason the model stalled (not in the aeronautical sense) was the canopy, over 2feet long but I decided to carve it out of pink foam and paint the glazing. The airframes are very similar but MAGZ has wing tanks and a very different engine cowling. It is about 80 inch span, between 1/5 and 1/4 scale, electric with 6s and a 60mm dia motor. The spats, which are quite distinctive, were a pain but unavoidable. I’m really pleased with the finished article (and will be more so if it flys!!). A couple more pictures attached.

Thanks for you interest,

David

58BE4610-A8A1-4955-8648-AAEB1ACF7916.jpeg

F06BE81D-8159-400E-B52B-41113708B45D.jpeg

1EBC706C-5BF7-4175-BA6E-DDFE694FF051.jpeg

Well, that's 3 of us Robin aficionados of Avions Pierre Robin.

Indeed first tried one in the 90's, then joined a group with 2, an HR200 and an ATL, and flown a few R2112 and DR400's too

Once you've tried one, you're smitten. Excellent visibility in all variants.

No wonder they're the most popular light aircraft in Europe, well certainly France

Maidened earlier this year, a World Models 80" Zero. Powered by an OS 160FX spinning an 18X8 Prop. Electric retracts fitted as well as some cockpit detailing and weathering. This was an old but NIB find and all of the covering had to be removed and re-done. An absolute peach to fly and land, provided flaps are used on landing.

57773577_Zero1.thumb.jpg.425ddcd8a092aaa6ea2eed78fda63b5a.jpg

Zero3.thumb.jpg.3d2b490d70162f3f85cc26fb2d3a499b.jpg

Edited by Torsten Spitzner
  • Like 2

That is a very impressive selection of models you have there David. The DR500 looks fabulous, glad you finished it and good luck with the maiden. There was a DR400 based at Denham back in the early eighties, I was struck by the quality of this fine flying aeroplane compared to the spam cans I was instructing on at the time.

Thanks for the kind words, Piers. A combination of lockdown and cataract surgery has meant that, until last week, I hadn’t flown since before Christmas so I’m going to have a few sessions flying old favourites before trying the maidens (sorry if that sounds vaguely rude!). Regarding full size Robins, my first aircraft share was a Jodel 1050 taildragger, then the DR315 and now the DR500, all lovely efficient aeroplanes and a pleasure to fly. The fit and finish on the 500 is a joy, you would never think it a wood and fabric aeroplane. Can’t fly full-size for a few more weeks until I’ve renewed my medical, and can’t do that until my eyes have settled and I see the optician. Can’t wait.

David

• Like 1

A beautiful day today in the east of God's own country, 17 degrees mid afternoon with a gentle breeze. What better conditions could there be to maiden my lock-down Panic? It's the JP kit, powered by an SC 61 bought from a club-mate for £10 which it turns out is virtually new and runs beautifully.

1894806353_Panicmaiden.thumb.jpg.bc00b02cd10dbedaceb0a6bf56bbe119.jpg

I taxied out and took off in very few yards. The plane then tried to bank sharply to the right, so applied a lot of left trim and eventually got it trimmed for straight and level flight. I had rates set for full deflection, mid - 66% aileron and elevator and low - 33% aileron and elevator. Ye gods! It was ridiculously responsive on full rates and I spent most of the day on low rates. Fuel tank lasts about 5 minutes (may have to do something about that) so landed and refuelled.

Took off for a second flight and this time needed to apply masses of right trim! Something wrong here, so landed and taxied back to the pits to investigate. Turns out the clevis on the right-hand aileron was loose on the pushrod and slid along it for about 6mm, hence the erratic behaviour! The clevis has hardly any thread in it. Didn't have any spares clevises with me so took one from another plane whose engine wasn't playing ball and that fixed it.

Once sorted out the Panic flies really well and I'm really pleased with it. Now I've only the throttle cut to sort out, which I'd forgotten to implement.

GDB

• Like 1