Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Well, here's my latest effort. I blame the lockdown for it!

I've always had a fascination for pre WW1 aircraft, so I thought I'd combine bits from various aircraft of the era (a sort of aeronautical Frankenstein).

It spans 36" and weighs 42oz ready to fly. I've used traditional construction for the airframe.  It's covered with tissue over Doculam, using Wilco satin water based varnish, an idea I got from PatMc. I'll perhaps leave it until I've got my thumbs and brain back in sync again before I try it when we're allowed to play again though...

BoxK1.jpg

• Like 9

good video here:

On 26/03/2021 at 17:43, John T said:

I've always had a fascination for pre WW1 aircraft, so I thought I'd combine bits from various aircraft of the era (a sort of aeronautical Frankenstein).

It spans 36" and weighs 42oz ready to fly. I've used traditional construction for the airframe.  It's covered with tissue over Doculam, using Wilco satin water based varnish, an idea I got from PatMc. I'll perhaps leave it until I've got my thumbs and brain back in sync again before I try it when we're allowed to play again though...

BoxK1.jpg

http://<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hPnFSfATEOE" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by Paul Marsh
  • Like 2

On 28/03/2021 at 17:50, Paul Marsh said:

I had the same difficulty trying to get You Tube Videos to appear on this forum which does not support I Frames in the way previously done on the old site. I think it is a security issue, but moderators will correct me if I am wrong. You have tried to take the embedded code from You Tube and paste it in, which I thought would work but doesn't.

To get your video to post, go to You Tube, press play on your video then copy the URL onto your clipboard, go into your Forum Entry and just past the link into the body of the post. It will then appear as a playable clip in the way that it should.

I had the same problem with one of mine and was helped by a moderator. It is not the obvious way of posting You Tube videos at all. There is normally a special tool to help you. I think it would help for some guidance on the forum somewhere.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Combination Stik from several different plans, 62" span. Hobbycraft foamboard, sprayed with rattle cans and a coat of clear acrylic. Almost the Hangar 9 Stik colours, but not quite.

IMG_20210331_173720220_HDR.thumb.jpg.d32111583e4542eb41508bb451b29060.jpg

Particularly underneath.

454846103_IMG_20210331_173915867_HDR3.thumb.jpg.e639e73b6f204464033301e7aeb062a0.jpg

Under 4lbs and over 500W available.

Very brief maiden flight today. Tracks and steers beautifully on the ground. Our first model that behaves when not in the air. Flies very nicely as well. We did not have enough time to do anything adventurous or really check over the flight envelope and the trim. Child_flyer took over the sticks for a couple of circuits and then did a perfect landing and taxi back to the flight line.

• Like 6

On 26/03/2021 at 17:43, John T said:

BoxK1.jpg

Like yourself, I like pioneering aircraft. I'm just in the throws of constructing a Microaces Airco DH2, but yours lloks more sturdy for ordinary conditions.

I'll be pleased to hear how the test flight goes, and interested in something similar if you could share.

Robin

4 hours ago, David Ashby - Moderator said:

Lockdown 3's big project has finally flown, my 98" span Sinbad. It was a bit turbulent to assess fully, but it flew much like a vintage type ie. needing plenty of rudder.  A visit to the slope is next. 

394A7662.JPG

Don’t you just love a Sinbad, gorgeous!

• Like 1

This was my winter lockdown project, a Wallaby Mk2 from Phoenix Model Products. An excellent  kit, all the bits were laser cut and fitted together perfectly. Only started it in January, so (for me) a quick build. Early on I had a couple of questions for Stan which he put me right on. Yes I have flown it: plenty of power with the recommended motor, a Tornado Thumper 3536/06, giving 300 W with a 2200 3S. Weighs about 1200g no ballast needed. One thing I like is the wide track undercarriage, a straight take off with no ground looping!

D0CB0704-7E18-4707-8112-B60217D42DA7.jpeg

• Like 1

On 31/03/2021 at 19:10, Dad_flyer said:

Combination Stik from several different plans, 62" span. Hobbycraft foamboard, sprayed with rattle cans and a coat of clear acrylic. Almost the Hangar 9 Stik colours, but not quite.

IMG_20210331_173720220_HDR.thumb.jpg.d32111583e4542eb41508bb451b29060.jpg

Particularly underneath.

454846103_IMG_20210331_173915867_HDR3.thumb.jpg.e639e73b6f204464033301e7aeb062a0.jpg

Under 4lbs and over 500W available.

Very brief maiden flight today. Tracks and steers beautifully on the ground. Our first model that behaves when not in the air. Flies very nicely as well. We did not have enough time to do anything adventurous or really check over the flight envelope and the trim. Child_flyer took over the sticks for a couple of circuits and then did a perfect landing and taxi back to the flight line.

That's terrific, DF.  It's also very light.  IIRC my balsa Liddle Stik is getting on for the same weight ready to fly including a 3S 2200 and only 48" ws.   The wing section is very similar now you've modified your l/e. 

Hi there Guys, and Trevor Wood in particular. (Posting on page131 of this forum).

Hey there Trevor, I have a Ridge Racer without any electronics.

It has the same one piece bowden cable for the ailerons. There is a little "L" shaped wire soldered to the cable.

I am puzzling what kind of linkage is needed between that and a servo.

I really would appreciate a description, sketch, or photo of that linkage arrangement.

My plane is virtually pristine with no damage to the glass fuse or to the glass veneer on the wings. The original blue translucent canopy is un scratched too.

All the cables and linkages are still there for the elevator and the rudder.

I quite fancy getting this into the air.

Go With the Flow

Bruce