Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

The specs look similar to the Hangar 9 Twist, of which I have had four. Presuming it flies like the Twist, expect it to be pretty lively with that engine and very aerobatic. If you have flown similar models before, go with the manufacturer's recommendations, otherwise scale back the rates as Alex has suggested. I would also watch the CG carefully. For highly aerobatic and 3D flying one will need the CG pretty far back, but not for the first few flights. If the manufacturer gives you a range, I would start with the CG about 1/3 back in that range. For example, for the Twist the recommended range is from 4" to 5" back from the LE, and I found 4 1/4" about right for initial flights, and 4 3/4" right for highly aerobatic flying.

Wonderwings Vintage Phoenix-100 glider. Still need the tow hook and CG balancing but almost ready to take it into the air. Overall 1325 gr all inclusive, 148cm span (58 inch) fus 114 cm (45 inch).. All moving tail. Completed with glassed (with fiber cloth + Poly C) /painted fuselage and brown/gold paper covered wings. Visibility patches are white vinyl.. Glossed with water based varnish.

phoenix-100 glider COMBO2.jpg

phoenix-100 glider COMBO1.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

Yes, John, the kits are excellent. All the laser cut parts fit perfectly so they were a pleasure to build rather than a frustration. I wanted something that I could spend some time on over winter/lockdown & they certainly fitted the bill.

I flew the small one quite a few times last summer. My favourite time was late in the evening, often after mowing the strip. I fitted high powered flashing LEDs & it was great to waft around in the calm air as the sun set. Hopefully the big one will do the same as the mood takes me, it also has the LEDs.

I'm more a flyer than a builder and most of my flying is hooning around with foamys, but I do like to embrace some of the other aspects of this rewarding hobby.

Posted by John Lee on 27/01/2021 21:20:47:

Thanks guys.

Yes, John, the kits are excellent. All the laser cut parts fit perfectly so they were a pleasure to build rather than a frustration. I wanted something that I could spend some time on over winter/lockdown & they certainly fitted the bill.

I flew the small one quite a few times last summer. My favourite time was late in the evening, often after mowing the strip. I fitted high powered flashing LEDs & it was great to waft around in the calm air as the sun set. Hopefully the big one will do the same as the mood takes me, it also has the LEDs.

I'm more a flyer than a builder and most of my flying is hooning around with foamys, but I do like to embrace some of the other aspects of this rewarding hobby.

yes

Thanks Peter, it still needs a spinner which I'm printing right now so that will complete the build. It has a removable hatch which is the windshield and the top of the fuse up to the cowl, that gives me sufficient access for the 4s battery.

The reason I built this one is because I wanted something 'similar' to the Rascal but not quite so big. My Rascal has a 110" WS and a rather long fuselage which makes transport a bit awkward but I love it.

Here is my latest Bitsa model called BI-ZARRE .

It has a wing span of 33"( made from two halves of an old wing I found lurking in the garage )

It's powered by an old T.T.40 .

Ailerons are on the top wing only .

Flaps are on the bottom wing .

It has double tailplane and elevators .

And it weighs 5lbs

If I had enough covering it would have been all red with scalloped edges to the flying surfaces .A bit like a Dick Dasterdly plane .

I'm not sure how it will fly with the flaps on lower wing only ! ! ! but it has been fun to build .

p1040307.jpg

p1040306.jpgp1040305.jpg

Posted by Keith Evans 3 on 02/02/2021 10:25:56:

Ailerons are on the top wing only .

Flaps are on the bottom wing .

I'm not sure how it will fly with the flaps on lower wing only ! ! ! but it has been fun to build .

Looks brilliant Keith. The original Panic in the 80's had flaps on the upper wing only & ailerons on the bottom. That flew great & I'm confident your model will too.