Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Well the Parkzone Corsair was good as gold from a hand launch, flies like she's on rails and is definitely a keeper, well worth replacing the retract.

Also maidened my new (to me) Parkzone SE5a, which was quite unlike anything I've flown before, looks lovely on the ground and in the air, so a happy bunny yesterday. ?

27thjune-8.jpg

27thjune-10.jpg

27thjune-39.jpg

• Like 3

The Laser was bought for a biplane that has still to get to the building board and hence I was after something different, cheap and from a stable of good fliers (I hope as the FW 190 is very nice).

With the slimline nose any ic was going to be a challenge, but was pleasantly surprised that the Laser 80 bolted to the bulkhead without modification. Tank height throttle servos were quite standard and other bits and bobs none to tricky. C of G was achieved by cutting a hatch in the tail just in front of the tail servos and is a little work in progress to  find a suitable switch rather than just plugging the lipo into the UBEC (like the KISS approach anyway). 

image.thumb.png.c751a7b0c5e4db1f7ff6fd754030f19a.png

image.png.73dab5a67043de5128413108cccc1e11.png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chris Walby said:

The Laser was bought for a biplane that has still to get to the building board and hence I was after something different, cheap and from a stable of good fliers (I hope as the FW 190 is very nice).

With the slimline nose any ic was going to be a challenge, but was pleasantly surprised that the Laser 80 bolted to the bulkhead without modification. Tank height throttle servos were quite standard and other bits and bobs none to tricky. C of G was achieved by cutting a hatch in the tail just in front of the tail servos and is a little work in progress to  find a suitable switch rather than just plugging the lipo into the UBEC (like the KISS approach anyway). 

Nice, I've got one with a older OS 61FS. they do fly well...

On 30/06/2021 at 05:51, Chris Walby said:

Maiden yesterday + another flight for fun.

Laser 80 engine started 1st time, warmed up and tuned in a treat, passed nose test.

Taxi a bit lively with full rudder and no expo, but roll out and take off smooth. Gear away with little pitch change. Flaps to normal with slight pitch change and very little change in pitch (couple of clicks of down only).

Flies very well with nice speed range and yaw/adverse yaw in the turns and inspires confidence from the start

Landing with flaps at first/take off position with very nice elevator control and flair.

image.thumb.png.81d41ee3fd798ae2c2aded4a20ef7d0b.png

Arrows Viper, 50mm EDF. Have flown this about a dozen times now, an absolute blast and sounds really good. I upgraded the esc and run mine on 4s 1400 & 1500 mAh batteries which gives me great performance and 5 minutes of flight time if I'm careful with the throttle. TBF it glides extremely well so it's great fun just to blast off into the (low) clouds then glide back down seeing how long it can go for before power on again. Just one thing to note, the straight and level stall is very benign but it can tip stall and that can be nasty!

IMG_6070D.thumb.JPG.32252617ddd4b3be1b5e0ad632ab086f.JPG

PS hippy bead wrist band not mandatory!

• Like 1

Was a scrap ebay type of rubbish that was going in the bin. Originally a toy with a small edf and capacitor. Put a single servo for single channel and had an old ESC for it, so now rc.
I always thought the Sonic looked a good candidate for RC even though a toy.

Sonic (1).JPG

Sonic (2).JPG

• Like 1

Hi John,

It was a Topp (German) kit. Foam wings in a warbird are a bit of a nightmare once the large wheel wells  are cut out. In retrospect, built up would have been quicker.  Glass fus is nice - although hard to repair when the inevitable happens.  Haven't weighed it, It balances with no ballast and all the gear right up by the firewall, that's all that matters ?

It has had several flights before the paint was applied and seem to fly well

• Like 2

My latest Flair SE5a. This one is electric for a 4s 3300 Lipo, Overlander thumper motor and a separate  4.8 volt radio battery.

11.5 by 6 leccy APC prop, a 60 amp ESC. Motor puts out approx 700 watts. and flies lovely at half throttle.  Model built as per the kit apart from the Leccy mods up front. Covered in nylon, tissue and dope. Paint courtesy of B and Q PC10 matched emulsion, Humbrol enamel for the insignia and roundels followed by a coat Deluxe materials  proofer.

Weighs 6.2 lb with four ounces of lead right in the nose. Motor Lipo fits underneath with a purpose designed latch keeping all in place.

images wont attach ?? sorry

2 minutes ago, Maurice Dyer said:

My latest Flair SE5a. This one is electric for a 4s 3300 Lipo, Overlander thumper motor and a separate  4.8 volt radio battery.

11.5 by 6 leccy APC prop, a 60 amp ESC. Motor puts out approx 700 watts. and flies lovely at half throttle.  Model built as per the kit apart from the Leccy mods up front. Covered in nylon, tissue and dope. Paint courtesy of B and Q PC10 matched emulsion, Humbrol enamel for the insignia and roundels followed by a coat Deluxe materials  proofer.

Weighs 6.2 lb with four ounces of lead right in the nose. Motor Lipo fits underneath with a purpose designed latch keeping all in place.

images wont attach ?? sorry

We have a few Gremlins in the works Maurice, techies are on it.

Bought this at a bring and buy a few weeks ago, chap didn`t know what it was called, a search around has found the plan on Outerzone, it is a Brooks Biplane and the builder has modified it in a number areas, most notably the cockpit and cowl, the general outline seems to be very close. It was originally flown with a diesel engine (plane is still sticky underneath!) I have converted it to electric on a 2200 3s pack and made new wing struts (originals missing) and repaired the rear decking that was damaged, this area needs repainting still (on my to do list). Flies very nicely, had three sorties today, may get some more over the weekend. 

IMG_20210709_134853_resized_20210709_045821561.jpg

IMG_20210709_134900_resized_20210709_045820502.jpg

IMG_20210709_134841_resized_20210709_045824670.jpg

• Like 4

Not mine, and not new. Child_flyer smiled sweetly and got this for a song at the last club bring and buy before lockdown. We did not have the confidence to fly it last year, but maidened today. Child_flyer did not let me have a go, but was all smiles afterwards, so I think it must be OK.

IMG_20210710_154948946.thumb.jpg.78ce9fc1ec95479b7b49423cf2423497.jpg

Black Horse Renegade ARTF. Had some damage in the past which was repaired well, so all it needed was a check over and freeing some of the linkages up. Electric, 700kv with 12×8 prop on 4s 5000mAh. I have not measured the power, it was flown a lot before on this setup.

• Like 3

My latest little project is this HK Skipper with a makeover to resemble a Mig/Sukhoi camo scheme, seen on its first trip to the lake this weekend. It was done with Poundland grey primer and Rustoleum acrylics and just needs some red stars and squadron codes to complete the look but I ran out of time last week.

And, yes, the camouflage works well. Sometimes too well, I nearly lost it a couple of times! Needs plenty of concentration, especially when flown with 5 other identical models in what we call the "Skipper-fest" at our waterplane meetings - great fun!

DSC_0426.JPG

• Like 1

Just some of them if anyone is interested. The Chippy is from a Bryant plan scaled up to 1:5. YS 110 powered and flies a treat.

Tiggy from a DB plan about 1:6 and with Laser 70 to get it up.

Kanga fun fly courtesy of a plan by Martyn Kinder with a West 36 up front.

I have loads more to bore you with.

Chipmunk 071.jpg

Chipmunk 072.jpg

Tiggy 001.jpg

Tiggy 003.jpg

Kanga 001.jpg

Kanga 003.jpg

• Like 2

Old hat now Pete. Lots of pics on my blogs anyway.

Did not do W&W with it this year because my spine is in poor shape and will not let me walk very far or carry things at the moment, but sitting in the shed balsa bashing is no problem. The Chippy took equal second at my local scratch built comp. yesterday. Should have won it but the motor would not come right down to idle so the landing could have been better. First flight with a different motor and first use of the flaps.

Edited by Martin McIntosh