Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

My recently restored Depron Folland Gnat. It uses a 50 mm EDF with a 1500mAh 3s

25Jul23a.JPG.a46b5463b9f3bc88e75af53995ef1667.JPG

830mm span with scale inlets and no cheat holes. It weighs 451g (16 oz) so is an easy hand launch.

25Jul23b.JPG.21ef36b3e11971b0d60a836b88aceb0c.JPG

Super light construction using 2mm Depron. No carbon anywhere the only balsa are thin flanges on a single spar.

The complete inlet duct is 3D printed.

25Jul23c.JPG.1cc2497dc07fbecf150a3c3ad000ddc3.JPG 

The duct was used as a spine to build the fuselage around. The nose was built separately and glued on.

The QX50 8 blade EDF is right at the back so there is no exhaust duct just a printed extension to the EDF body.

25Jul23d.JPG.d96c94401d460442c5a1a881a2448dc3.JPG

The rear EDF means the battery is placed well forward and thus clear of the duct.

Originally built in February 2020 it had a troubled early life with several crashes although it now flies very nicely. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Futura57 said:

I had the maiden flight of my new own design last week. Sweet.

No name at this time. A few details have been finished off since this picture. I'm looking forward to some more good flying weather.

IMG_4256.thumb.JPG.52c4ca937d7fa694dbf128a92f225f14.JPG

Would be nice to know where the C of G is and what washing powder you use?

T shirt from 1986, impressive on both counts !  😉

41 minutes ago, Chris Walby said:

Would be nice to know where the C of G is and what washing powder you use?

T shirt from 1986, impressive on both counts !  😉

C of G is top secret as is washing powder 🤣

As you've probably guessed, the T-shirt in this picture is not the original with the tour dates on the back. The original one I was wearing when my children (twins) were born in 1987. It got splashed with emulsion paint from DIY and eventually shrunk. But those last two Queen concerts at Wembley and Knebworth were tops 🎵

I could start a pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey competition for the C of G 

Flight video 

Edited by Futura57

1 hour ago, Futura57 said:

Magnificent. Looks like the tide has gone out 😜

Kit, plan?

Span, motor?

Kyosho arf that I bought in a Greek model store in 2010.  Only got round to building it now.   Lovely historic Italian Seaplane from 1925.  63 inch wingspan powered by a brand new Saito 62.   Flys great with take offs and landings very scale like.  The wings are built up covered in Oracover and the fuselage is fibreglass sprayed silver.  Very nice scale model that I will enjoy flying from the local lake.  Cheers everyone.  

• Like 2

On 02/07/2023 at 08:57, cymaz said:

My first ever EDF. Arrows Marlin from Leeds Model Shop. Powered by 4s 2700 batteries. A total of 8 screws completes the build. 

I had to extend the slots on the battery tray to get the battery back  far enough for cg balance. I’ve also bought the wing servo  covers if I feel the need to hand launch and belly land with the UC removed.

354EFEAC-8F21-4472-8C78-98A9D1ACC81A.jpeg

F673C577-65F0-4F0B-8AED-E249C11B9135.jpeg

Just come back from Davidstow after doing the maiden on the Marlin. I can report it’s a definite keeper. As my first ducted fan it’s a peach. The recommended throws on my triple rates are comfortable, I added a half way between low and high rates..The flaps ( at about 80’) really slow it down with no tendency to rock a wing or stall, spending times adjusting the flap servo arms was well worth it. I was flying at about 83mm CG. 
 The flight times were 4 mins at about 1/2-3/4 throttle. Rolls are very axial and the plane stops quickly once at neutral.
The take off flap is about right at 1/4 of the full throw. I’m using 4s 2700mAh Overlander lipos

If you’ve never had an EDF jet, I really recommend this.

Edited by cymaz

6 hours ago, Futura57 said:

I had the maiden flight of my new own design last week. Sweet.

No name at this time. A few details have been finished off since this picture. I'm looking forward to some more good flying weather.

IMG_4256.thumb.JPG.52c4ca937d7fa694dbf128a92f225f14.JPG

You could call it something like The Rhombus or perhaps the Diamond Dart. Just a couple of suggestions haha. Looks awesome and looks like it flies well. Congratulations.

Here's my latest completed build. It is an RCM PT-20. Not the Great Planes version which is different to the original RCM version. I downloaded the plans from Outerzone. It came in at 1.25kg and is powered by a Magnum .25. I hope to do the maiden soon and then hand it over to my kids to fly 😃 

PXL_20230723_070921676.jpg

PXL_20230723_070940528.jpg

PXL_20230723_071000771.jpg

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Glenn Ryan said:

You could call it something like The Rhombus or perhaps the Diamond Dart. Just a couple of suggestions haha. Looks awesome and looks like it flies well. Congratulations.

I know. Nothing's new. I discovered those you mentioned after my build 😩 But this is a real quickie build with plank wings and box fuselage like a Hanky Planky. Flies all day on a 3S 2200.

I'm looking to publish my plan quite soon. Named it "Top Quark" because I have a number of variants in mind such as; front wing on the bottom with rear wing high (Bottom Quark), Ducted fan (Strange Quark) and large vintage 4stroke powered (Charm Quark). You get the idea 😀

Not quite ready, but I got excited and couldn't wait...

I've had a love affair with Pitts Specials since I was a kid. There's something about them that encapsulates everything I love about aviation. However, I've never had a model that flew well, so I'm on a mission. This is the second foamboard version following on from the 'Ukrainian Aerobatic Team' (fictitious!) version I made earlier this year. That had some good and bad points, but after repeated problems with trim, it had a few too many hard landings and was retired.

This version is a touch larger at 45" span and is set up to fly on 4S 3300 packs. It is not quite finished, but weighs 4 pounds 2 Ounces with maybe 6 ounces of finishing to add. At 4 1/2 lbs, we have 14 Oz/ Sq Ft, so should be good.

It's made from Diall (B&Q) laminate underlay sheets. Mostly 5mm, but 3mm for the fuselage skins. The wings contain 6mm carbon tubes, the tailplane 3mm carbon tubes. This is to stiffen the wings which were rather flexible in the Mk1. It uses a 3541 700kv motor turning either a 13x6 or 13x8, depending what my Wattmeter tells me. It's covered with brown paper/ PVA and painted with emulsion (all freehand! It looks good at flypast distance...) nd will then get a coat or two of clear gloss water based varnish to bling up the finish and make the foam tougher. I've trialled this and it seems to work well.

Should be ready in a few weeks; just in time for the brief window between unflyable summer winds and winter...

2095422812_Pittsmk22907231.thumb.jpg.1d395fffef9c65eb55d68c23571f62c7.jpg292432427_Pittsmk22907232.thumb.jpg.0b2fa4f72238bee706949de5eb29e27a.jpg1046038414_Pittsmk22907233.thumb.jpg.f3b5612e9cce8c0fdcca7da29128cd0a.jpg

Graham

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Hey Graham

That's one lovely looking Pitts (from this distance 😜) and especially since you made it from Diall (B&Q) laminate underlay sheets. I shall be picking up a pack or two when I next visit B&Q. I'm putting a Depron prototype of a model together right now, but my stocks are running low. I've been looking for a viable alternative. Are you using UHU POR to do most of the sticking together?

16 minutes ago, Futura57 said:

Hey Graham

That's one lovely looking Pitts (from this distance 😜) and especially since you made it from Diall (B&Q) laminate underlay sheets. I shall be picking up a pack or two when I next visit B&Q. I'm putting a Depron prototype of a model together right now, but my stocks are running low. I've been looking for a viable alternative. Are you using UHU POR to do most of the sticking together?

Thank you.

Yes, mostly UHU Por, and mostly as a contact adhesive. There are some ply doublers internally to tie in the firewall, cabanes, lower wing leading edge and undercarriage and there is some epoxy to fix the hard points to these. This is my 6th foamboard model, and I'm starting to refine some techniques and design ideas. I really enjoy working with it, and can't see me making a conventional balsa model in the foreseeable as this material really suits the sort of models I like to fly. I have a nice simple method and it allows me to reproduce scale designs as practical sports models.

Graham

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

All being well, the B&Q underlay foam Pitts (version 2) is ready for maiden.

Final weight 4 pounds 12 Ounces ready to go. 4S 3700 pack, 3641 700kv motor turning a 14x6 prop. made from 3mm and 6mm B&Q (Diall) underlay foam with carbon rods to stiffen the wings and tail. Covered in brown paper/ PVA, then painted in emulsion and 2 coats of B&Q water based gloss varnish. The pitts log and legends printed onto photocopier paper didn't work too well as the varnish smeared the ink, but it will look OK as it flies past, if it gets that far!

Graham

pitts mk 2 080823 1.jpg

pitts mk 2 080823 2.jpg

pitts mk 2 080823 3.jpg

pitts mk 2 080823 4.jpg

• Like 9

On 08/08/2023 at 13:32, Graham Davies 3 said:

All being well, the B&Q underlay foam Pitts (version 2) is ready for maiden.

Final weight 4 pounds 12 Ounces ready to go. 4S 3700 pack, 3641 700kv motor turning a 14x6 prop. made from 3mm and 6mm B&Q (Diall) underlay foam with carbon rods to stiffen the wings and tail. Covered in brown paper/ PVA, then painted in emulsion and 2 coats of B&Q water based gloss varnish. The pitts log and legends printed onto photocopier paper didn't work too well as the varnish smeared the ink, but it will look OK as it flies past, if it gets that far!

Graham

pitts mk 2 080823 1.jpg

pitts mk 2 080823 2.jpg

pitts mk 2 080823 3.jpg

pitts mk 2 080823 4.jpg

She flew!

A few trim issues, and a bit of an emergency landing, but all good!

Thanks to Peter Miller for some great photos. 

Graham

pitts 090823 1.jpg

• Like 7