Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

5 hours ago, David Davis said:

Not really a new model but a few weeks ago, while doing a bit of instructing, I failed to take over control of the club's Seagull Boomerang quickly enough when it was a long way off down wind. Both my trainee and I lost orientation and the model hit the deck. The wing on the Boomerang II is fully sheeted and was only cosmetically damaged. Twenty days ago I started the repair with a fuselage ripped open like a banana. Yesterday I flew it again. By my standards that's really quick!

What I started with (3).JPG

Repairs Complete.JPG

You did a brilliant job David.  Good to see it back in the air again.  

I am hoping that it is submitted to RCM&E. It would be a mistake to turn down the opportunity to keep many of the mags traditional modellers happy.

As an early builder of the larger Cussutt by Peter (albeit with a widened scale body), it was not just an enjoyable, practical build, as a flying model it is vey good. A couple of pictures of Peters Cassutt designs (the red one was finished shortly after the pictures were taken. Plus something similar, a redesigned Aeronca Sedan. I need a companion, as many older modellers, these traditional build and formats, float my boat

I totally agree with all the comments of the model (which are obviously all good), we all want the opportunity to build one.

WP_20190405_10_06_24_Pro.jpg

WP_20201104_13_24_54_Pro.jpg

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Erfolg said:

I am hoping that it is submitted to RCM&E. It would be a mistake to turn down the opportunity to keep many of the mags traditional modellers happy.

As an early builder of the larger Cussutt by Peter (albeit with a widened scale body), it was not just an enjoyable, practical build, as a flying model it is vey good. A couple of pictures of Peters Cassutt designs (the red one was finished shortly after the pictures were taken. Plus something similar, a redesigned Aeronca Sedan. I need a companion, as many older modellers, these traditional build and formats, float my boat

I totally agree with all the comments of the model (which are obviously all good), we all want the opportunity to build one.

Lovely models

6 hours ago, Zflyer said:

20230703_233229.thumb.jpg.42b882883120f183f8bc4ea4d1725b96.jpgGiven the current weather and long range forecast i thought i would invest in something suitable.

Unfortunately, the only model boat I have that's sailable needs deep water as it has a 350mm bulb keel - a flooded patch would be too shallow.  As an RNLI supporter of many years standing I admire your choice of vessel. It looks stunning.  Anyway, there's nothing in the title of either the mag or the forum that says - model aircraft -, so it's a legitimate subject if it's radio-controlled and a model. 

8 hours ago, David Davis said:

Not really a new model but a few weeks ago, while doing a bit of instructing, I failed to take over control of the club's Seagull Boomerang quickly enough when it was a long way off down wind. Both my trainee and I lost orientation and the model hit the deck. The wing on the Boomerang II is fully sheeted and was only cosmetically damaged. Twenty days ago I started the repair with a fuselage ripped open like a banana. Yesterday I flew it again. By my standards that's really quick!

What I started with (3).JPG

Repairs Complete.JPG

Nice David, is this the plane that you will be taking lessons on ?.😂

• Haha 1

On 31/12/2023 at 15:24, Erfolg said:

I've got a small Cassut, OS 15fp engine in it. Want to build or get a larger one.

If you want a larger Cassutt than Miss Deeds, the free plan of the larger version (by Peter) is almost perfect, all you need to do is widen the body to scale proportions. Although I think Peter wanted to make something that was more of a Sports model, the wing is pretty OK although I seem to remember that the tailplane was larger in area than scale (no bad thing in my opinion and leads to better handling).

It was just the body that I concentrated on, It is about 6" wide at shoulder level, at the base it is very narrow. The structure I used was as drawn by Peter. I just accept that it is not scale as some see it, as the original was a tubular frame work. 

I am no longer sure about the wing, Peter may have had an open structure rear of the spar, with cap strips. In my case it was all sheeted. In a way this is neared to scale in that many full size Cassutt had ply wood sheeted wing, using stock sheet size. Then again many Cassutt used GF crescent wings. Why sheet, marginally stiffer, also I often do not film cover, preferring dope and tissue. The thing is Peters wing is more than adequate.

As with many of Peters designs, they are amenable to adaptation, whilst retaining the essence of the original model design, and IMO more importantly fly well, for some one like me that just likes doing circuits, the odd roll and if appropriate a loop. Personally I have never got the concept that improved skill is only achieved by aerobatics, be it pattern, or Lomcevak or similar.

Edited by Erfolg
mistake and did not make sense

I never mind people modifying my plans as it is the first stage of designing your own. Just don't lame the original design if the mods don't work.

Just don't add too much extra weight....Low wing loading makes them fly better.

I did a stretched version of the Cassut Called Miss Cassy  but can't find the plan listed. If it was a full size plan I may have a copy.

1085493217_misscassy.jpeg.d449f6cd1f6bdb06dc34e3db93034178.jpeg

• Like 3

My version of Cassutt is almost certainly "Miss Casey". It was built from a tiled plan by Peter.

I finished my model as Outlaw.

One thing worth mentioning is that a very large pilot head is required. The full size is tiny, one full size crashed it was thought due to the pilots head hitting the  top of the cockpit, with his head  (could not fit a standard helmet as used in racing) knocking him unconscious. It also appears that their are often differences in the fuz width. I think that the standard width was a minimum 24". That many pilots had to operate some controls by crossing one hand across the cabin as usual means of operation.

As for my free plan, it will still be in the mag, not a clue as to the month or year, of hand.

Peters comment about changes rang a bell. My miss deeds was initially built and flown without a UC. I flew from a meadow back then. Later I moved area and club, it uses a mowed grass strip. I then added a UC. By rhea I H=had misplaced the plan, I think, anyway, the CG was placed at 30%. The model was uncontrollable, although landed in one piece. At this point I contacted Peter. His reply was along the lines, om semi-scale models he placed the CG at 20 or maybe 25%, I do not remember with clarity. The gist of it is, now at the PM position, the model is once more a pussy cat.

The CG change was by accident,  But does go to show, to expect the unexpected, when not sure.

The good news is that both are expected to fly, sometime this summer. I continue to improve the larger version.

Bt the way, the wheels diameter are non scale, as full size are more befitting a child's push chair, just nio suitable fore a grass, not a bowling green.

Edited by Erfolg
number mistake

Do you know I couldn't find it, I didn't realise how long ago it was.

A little story about MIss Cassy to prove that someone up there looks after us;

Some years ago I was flying Miss Cassy  and I went to change the elevator trim on my Spectrum Tx and hit the on-off switch instead.  The model crashed some three hundred yards out in a bare field.  We retrieved all the wreckage carefully and I took it home.  

The next day I realise that the Rx satellite receiver was missing.  On the Wednesday I went back and started looking for the crash site which we had cleaned up really well so it was almost impossible to say exactly where it was.

After spending nearly two hours wandering round in the approximate crash area I gave up and started back to the car.

Now when going over fields I always look at the ground for Roman remains etc. (I have a medieval token picked up from a field in front of my house among other things).

As I walked along I though "That looks like an interesting stone" and bent to pick it up.  

RIGHT BESIDE IT WAS MY SATELLITE receiver.

No one can ever tell me that I was not guided to find it!!!

Hmmm, I built my model sometime 2018-19. It is 1/4 scale, is Miss Cassy?  If not it is another of Peters designs. I had thought I had seen it as a RCM&E free plan.

I have just noticed, the plan Peter gave me was for electric power. Probably/possibly a light weight version of Miss Cassy?

Edited by Erfolg

9 hours ago, Peter Miller said:

Do you know I couldn't find it, I didn't realise how long ago it was.

A little story about MIss Cassy to prove that someone up there looks after us;

Some years ago I was flying Miss Cassy  and I went to change the elevator trim on my Spectrum Tx and hit the on-off switch instead.  The model crashed some three hundred yards out in a bare field.  We retrieved all the wreckage carefully and I took it home.  

The next day I realise that the Rx satellite receiver was missing.  On the Wednesday I went back and started looking for the crash site which we had cleaned up really well so it was almost impossible to say exactly where it was.

After spending nearly two hours wandering round in the approximate crash area I gave up and started back to the car.

Now when going over fields I always look at the ground for Roman remains etc. (I have a medieval token picked up from a field in front of my house among other things).

As I walked along I though "That looks like an interesting stone" and bent to pick it up.  

RIGHT BESIDE IT WAS MY SATELLITE receiver.

No one can ever tell me that I was not guided to find it!!!

I had a similar experience while bringing a Detroit Custom Cruiser in to land guided by a Sanwa Conguest radio. I was reaching for the throttle trim and succeeded in switching off the transmitter. The model went berserk and landed in a tree. I had to hire a tree surgeon to retrieve it!

2 hours ago, David Davis 2 said:

I had a similar experience while bringing a Detroit Custom Cruiser in to land guided by a Sanwa Conguest radio. I was reaching for the throttle trim and succeeded in switching off the transmitter. The model went berserk and landed in a tree. I had to hire a tree surgeon to retrieve it!

Typical heartless, never think of the tree just get the tree surgeon no one ever hires a tree anesthetist!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zflyer said:

Typical heartless, never think of the tree just get the tree surgeon no one ever hires a tree anesthetist!

Oh no! The tree surgeon simply shinned up the tree and lowered the model down on a rope. Cost me a fiver! It was hardly damaged which is more than I can say for that ARTF Acro Wot I landed in a tree a few weeks ago!

• Like 1

It's not a really new model because I've been working on it for several years, but it's yet to fly.  DBSS 60" Sopwith Pup taken in glorious winter sunshine on 12th night (day?) (6th January).  Electrically powered with a 4Max PO 5055–495 motor on 6S LiPo through a Frsky Neuron 60 amp esc and turning a 13x6.5 propeller.

DSCF0335.thumb.JPG.c77a3d1d028fa8bdfa3aab8acb0cc3a0.JPG

DSCF0330.thumb.JPG.8349bb785121ed064c67e27d2e75fae1.JPG

• Like 11