How many of these actually took to the air?

Brian Cheyne

Advert

I don't know the figures Brian, but I'll bet it's a tiny fraction of the number that were sold as the first few issues...

Thinking back... somebody, somewhere, did produce some approximate sales figures for the "typical" DeAgostini (and similar) part-works. I do recall that the numbers sold as the series went on dropped quite dramatically. I might be wrong, but I seem to recall that in some instances the number of people buying them beyond about half-way through the series was so low that they ceased publishing them and just refunded anybody who complained...

Getting back to the Spitfire, I've certainly never seen one myself in real life, but they do get a mention very occasionally on the forums.

Bits keep surfacing on ebay from time to time. Where I previously flew a guy came up to me and said he was getting it for his son. I pointed out that a Spitfire isn't a trainer and the cost was prohibitive. Never did see a finished product, that was quite a few years ago. See they are marketing a non flying model of the Spitfire at the moment, I wonder if it's the remnants of their previous campaign.

Seen a couple of these "Cubs" completed, both also quite overweight IMO, but they did at least fly. One is I think still around and flies (that is, flies as in brick). If it ever deadsticks the Aussies will get it for free................

Also seen a couple of the James Bond Aston Martins, one was fine and everything worked, the other had superglue everywhere it wasn't intended. The dribbles down the front wings from the wing mirrors were particularly authentic, I thought...........

What a waste of time, money, and effort.!

None. Most were either chucked away, serve as ceiling queens, or just part finished. The rest turn up on ebay, part finished or bits, but both going for stupid money for a crap model. Saw one finished, weighed a ton, had no washout and although finished ok, not worth the £700 plus for a .40 sized model.

I suppose nobody multiplied the magazine price by the number of issues to calculate the total cost of the airframe before they bought the first few issues. if they had worked out the price they could have found it was much cheaper to just buy a kit from their local modelshop and maybe got the advice to start with a trainer.
But tell us did it fly OK

A local chap who built one as a 'retirement pastime,(he was in his eighties) contacted our club asking if someone could fly it for him.

When it arrived at our field and was checked over the controls were found to be badly setup, control hinges not secured. Sadly the builder accepted that the model was unlikely to fly and took it home I felt really sorry for him as he had spent many hours and far too much money. A local model shop had sold him a starter. glow start and battery charger, all things he could have borrowed at the field.

I feel that if he had been advised to contact a club at the start for help and advice he would have been spared the expensive disapointment.

Similar account to some others - a guy (not a member) turned up at the club field one day with one completed. Apparently he'd bought it on ebay - didn't say how much! He wanted someone to help him to fly it as he wasn't sure how you "turned it on"!

As most have said it was heavy - very heavy. The finish was doubious, but the Leo engine was even worse. Worsed of all was the radio gear - I can't remember the name but I'd never heard of it. 35MHz gear - no Tx. He "hadn't replaced the batteries as they were rechargable". When ask if he'd charged them he replied "no, I didn't think I had to the guy said the were rechargable". Mmmm?

Needless to say no one was prepared to even contemplate trying it. I'll have a go at most things - but that was beyond even my threshold of stupidity. My advice to him was "Put it back on ebay and buy a trainer". Never seen him since. I was worried afterwards that he might have gone somewhere else and tried to fly it - but no need to worry really, afterall he's no Tx and even if he had he's never going to start that engine in a month of Sundays!

BEB

People who tried to build it are not modelers, just wannabies, with no idea and common sense. So failure is assured. The Leo engine is ok, I have a .15 size which Just Engines used to sell, but a overweight model, usually badly built powered by a weedy engine has no hope in getting to fly.

I don't think there ever has been a finished flown model, even on Youtube, there is nothing.

I pity the fool, though...

Despite advising him that it wouldn't be a good idea, my son-in-law persisted in buying the mag, even though they didn't have two ha'pennies to rub together at the time....crook

I understand a part-built fuselage was seen propped in a corner of a room in their house some time later - this was several years ago.

The subject hasn't been mentioned since.......face 22

Pete

Posted by Peter Miller on 30/11/2013 18:41:40:

I did buy the first issue, well, the prop and spinner were worth the price and more!laugh

I did the same LOL i still have the video cassette that came with it .

My son used too keep asking me if he could watch it , he would watch it over and over again day after day .

There was one that used to fly at Rochdale model flying clubb and it flew well too .

Posted by Richard Harris on 30/11/2013 21:51:00:

I maidened it for him and it flew very well indeed, we had a few more flights with it that day. He left a happy chap and I have never seen him again.

I also test flew one & would confirm that it flew surprisingly well. At the time the builder was sensibly already going down the conventional trainer route & I'm pleased to say he is still flying & is now a very competent pilot.

• 1 year later...
Posted by Peter Miller on 30/11/2013 18:41:40:

I did buy the first issue, well, the prop and spinner were worth the price and more!laugh

Lol i did the same as you Peter .

Funny thing is i still have the prop , spinner and VHS Video that came with it .

I remember my son watching that video over and over again it drove my Partner mad and she had it locked away to stop him putting it on .

May be i should dig it out again and see if i can transfer it to mpg4 .

spitfiretape.jpg

Steve

Edited By Stephen Jones on 05/01/2015 23:33:21