Flying site fees

CARPERFECT

Advert

£600 to rent 1.7 acres (100 x 70 metres) from the farmer. The thing with renting from a farmer is that that gives him a guaranteed income from that piece of land regardless of weather or pestilance and he doesn't have to spend anything on it - more than can be said for the rest of his land. We did offer to buy it a few years ago but he wanted £10,000 which was a bit much for 15 or so membersdisgust

Edited By Wingman on 18/02/2014 09:03:50

Our club rents 2.5 acres from the farmer for £1000 p.a. and we are allowed to fly seven days a week ( weather permitting !! ).

For another £1300 p.a. the loval sports field contractor cuts the grass for us at the same time as he does the sports fields of local schools. Occassionaly he rolls it as well for no extra charge.

We have been on this site since 1989.

Reading this I suppose a table offering size/costs/facilities/access would be good for all to see and refer too.. say a little bench mark of where to start, or expect negoatiations to lead.....

Certainly each land owner will have his figure and expectations, but for a starting point.. this post offers some good insight.

Posted by CARPERFECT on 18/02/2014 13:13:09:

Reason for Question . Our Farmer has wrote to us telling us he is putting it up from £500 to £1500 and it will go up each year. We have to share it with the sheep and for 6 months of the year will not allow any cars in the field. We have to carry it all 100 to 150 yards.

I would be waking away your farmer is trying to sick his arm in. There's plenty of farmers who would be very happy getting £500 a year and they wouldn't put sheep on it .

You have to establish the possibility of finding and alternative site and comparing facilities and accessibility with what you now have. If there are cheaper/better alternatives then move otherwise cough up and smile, while you keep looking. I cannot imagine any landowner being interested in £1.50 a day rent; a couple more sheep could earn more than that. Mind they do make a mess of a strip.

Posted by CARPERFECT on 18/02/2014 13:13:09:

Reason for Question . Our Farmer has wrote to us telling us he is putting it up from £500 to £1500 and it will go up each year. We have to share it with the sheep and for 6 months of the year will not allow any cars in the field. We have to carry it all 100 to 150 yards.

Well, while not burning your bridges, it's good reason to start exploring alternatives. It would be worth arranging to pay him quarterly as part of the rent increase negotiations, if you don't already.

I'm told that there was considerable opposition to the idea when the subject of buying our field was first raised - thank goodness that the membership at that time came round to the idea. I don't know the exact details off hand but the club was able to get a mortgage on the land and got it paid off in a few years.

It's a great move if it's a possibility for a club to do so - you can invest your subs in equipment and structures rather than giving great chunks of it to a farmer every year!

We pay a little over £2000 a year for our patch,and have to share with sheep and cows. At the moment the gate is like a swimming pool so access to the flying strip is limited . We do get a bit of off road parking (enough for 8 or 9 cars) We cut our own grass and I must say its like a bowling green. I could moan but when I hear what people pay for fitness clubs ,golf fees,night outs etc our club fees are good value for money