1910 Flair Etrica Taube

Stephen Grigg

I was sorry they discontinued the Taube, I wanted one! sad If I remember correctly, Flair recommended a 40 four stroke for all 80 inchs of it! Will find my Flair catalogue tomorrow to confirm if you wish, unless someone else confirms it for you. Your very lucky, a nice model, well worth the 145 mile trip!yes

Posted by Glenn Stratton on 02/04/2014 21:42:32:

I was sorry they discontinued the Taube, I wanted one! sad If I remember correctly, Flair recommended a 40 four stroke for all 80 inchs of it! Will find my Flair catalogue tomorrow to confirm if you wish, unless someone else confirms it for you. Your very lucky, a nice model, well worth the 145 mile trip!yes

someone does it Glenn im sure I've seen it advertised

and if you cant find one give Jeff a p.m. wink

Morning The Flair catalogue recommended .20 to 25 2 stroke alt .30 to .40 4 stroke I have an unbuilt kit in the loft waiting space on the building board to get started I might use it to try out an electric conversion but I am unsure at present Looks like a good kit you have got hold of

Hi Stephen, Mine had an irvine 40, two stroke, which was plenty of oomph. The real one had a pylon above the cockpit, and millions of rigging wires on both the wings and tail plane. Not very good for the drag coefficient, but they look superb. I can dig out some pix if you need them.

ernie

Hi Stephen, I've just dug out a wonderful old german book called Die Jeannin Stahltaube. It's full of old pix and drawings. I reckon no two were the same. If there is any specific information that you need, I can post it here, or send pix by snailmail.

ernie

I fly one regularly with a Saito 40 4 stroke and a big(ish) prop. best on calm days but lovely to fly and ultra slow. It has a tendency to 'dutch roll' a bit on take off so don't over control or have too much movement on the rudder. It looks a bit wobbly but doesn't do anything underhand.

The motor has lots of downthrust..... other than that, its all dead straightforward.

have fun!

stu k

Balsa USA also do a Taube, a bit smaller than the Flair one, and I think not as nice although I have never seen the Flair one other than pictures. The BUSA one flies very nicely on rudder, elevator, and throttle and looks the part in the air.

You can get a nice Dutch roll going in a free flight model if you overdo the dihedral, so it doesn't always have to be pilot induced.

John