Building ? or Flying? during the Blooming Football!!

Advert

Posted by Mike Etheridge 1 on 10/06/2014 00:08:23:

When your old school colleague becomes the England football manager it is difficult not to take notice ! I am still in contact with other old school mates who used to play football with Roy in the school sixth form games on a Wednesday afternoon and we are carefully monitoring his progress. Roy was a star on the football pitch, and I hope it all works out well for him in Brazil.

Got out last weekend to the our club's scale competition, and I must get some more flying in even when the football is on.

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 10/06/2014 00:10:11

Interesting Mike! Alas until he (or someone) gets them bonding as a team off the pitch they will never achieve anything on it.

Not many supporters on the forum! I am looking forward to it, not so much England as I doubt they will advance from the group stage.

Rich

I don't like football. In 76 years never watched a game. I don't mind if other people want to enjoy it but there are a few things that do annoy me intensely.

Currently we keep being shown faces of supporters Gurning out of the TV screen and being promised that goal faces will be used on TV . Have these people any idea just how moronic they look!

Not only are we going to be inflicted with football for the next month or two, we are going to have Wimbledon rammed down our throats and that means that it is almost a total waste of time buying the Radio Times because all the programs will be delayed or cancelled. Come to think of it, that doesn't really matter as there are so few programs worth watching these days.

I might watch a bit of the Tour de France, especially the mountain stages. The scenery is great and I am a sadist!

Oh well, I have a new model to design and build and demands for more plans on the list so that will fill the hours.

Edited By Peter Miller on 10/06/2014 08:05:36

Football has been part of my periferal life for ever, all my family are big fans, just me that isn,t, went lots as a kid to the local team, Stoke City, and met most of the players in the 60,s and 70,s Gordon Banks was a highlight but top of the tree was Stanley Mathews, went to his testemonial and met him at half time,

the reason is that my Dad worked (in fact still does a little even at 84,he has been a SC fan ie attending live games since the age of 5 or 6 and is stil a season ticket holder after 78 years) for SC promotions selling SC lottery now, and his claim to fame is that as a boy himself and is father being a huge SC fan in the late 30,s early 40,s i believe when stan first played for Stoke, my grandparents owned a shop and it was en-route to the old ground and in those days Stan and most of the players lived in the terraces amongst their fans and on his way to the ground on a match day, him and the goal keeper walked down together, they would call into grandads shop for fags, and would collect dad and take him to the ground to stand on terraces saving grandad a spot so he could leave shop at last poss moment, seems strange to think of players today as one of the local community,

i dont hate footie i just have preferences for other sports, rugby and cricket mainley, i can and do watch the occasional england game but prefer to do it sat quietly with my feet up these days, ahhhh!!! old age eh!!

chris

Never understood my so many modellers slag off The World Cup or other major sporting events. In 2012, many on the forum were bitching about the Olympics! Why the apparent polarity of interests?

The matches are being played at 5pm; 9pm and 11pm UK time. So unless you're retired (or a public sector worker) or have LED night lights on your plane you'll be able to fly and watch the football. smile d

No one is complaining, only expressing their desire to avoid football either due to the boredom that it brings or that the overpaid, pompous, arrogant folk who demand an equivalent years worth of our wages every day just don't float our boats.

What I, personally, don't like is the pathetic RADA acting which makes the players act as if they have broken a leg after tripping up over a draught and then being miraculously cured with a wet sponge. Oh, yes, I must not forget the unsportsman behaviour and the outrageous racism that permeates the whole thing from both the players and the fans. (Yes, been a medic at several games and it is very scary) The threat of being lynched at the game is also a thing I wish to avoid.

I like most sports and as for Rugby - Now there's a proper sport. Proper wages, fair play and the whole family are perfectly safe at the game but football just annoys me.

Edited By John F on 10/06/2014 11:40:51

Posted by Lindsay Todd on 09/06/2014 23:24:23:

No interest in football what so ever, if people are into it that's fine, if it was a months worth of MotoGP then I would bore everyone silly!

+1thumbs up

It won't affect my activities one way or the other, unless it affects the scheduling of MotoGP or Superbikes

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 10/06/2014 11:46:04

I too enjoy Rugby - but let's not go too overboard on the "fair play" thing. Eye gouging, coaches getting a player to bite on a blood capsule to simulate injury, spear tackles, stud raking...

But back to OP - many model flyers will be experiencing the emotional roller coaster of watching England at the World Cup. And as someone who enjoys both model flying and sport - flying a model plane will NEVER stir up the same passions as being at Wembley watching Arsenal beat Manchester United, England beating Scotland or going mental at Edgbaston watching England beat Australia in The Ashes.

i think its the associated violent element of the crowds over the years that have stopped a good many from continuing there interest in watching live footie, it did for me being an innocent bystander at the age of 12 and getting injured during a fracas in the terraces which meant i had to be removed by the St johns first aiders, i did get to watch the rest of the mach from the team bench sat next to the likes of terry conroy, but not been to a live game since. any sport that the spectators are banned from having a drink whilst watching has issues that need to be sorted,

i suspect the england game is on the cards for Sat evening at Weston Park ,on a big screen poss,with copious ammounts of liquid refreshment and no fighting!! but those of us not so inclined can go and do something else,

chris

Totally unbelievable, to a father who went fortnightly to United, with my two girls, my wives mother (grandma) queuing for the tickets during the week. The journey to the ground on the tram with other like minded people. The after match drink. What is there not to like about football? A total family event!

I am sure that multiple screens will be provided at Greenacres, for the real men to watch. Yes, there must be a bar to, to create that total family environment.

So totally looking forward to the World Cup, I am dreading the after series depression that could set in. Only elevated by England yet again thrashing Johnny Foreigner.

Yes football crosses all boundaries, uniting all, in its ethos of fairness, respect of others and that money is not everything.

This thread has been reasonably balanced and good-humoured so far - I'd like it kept that way otherwise it will be locked. The subject isn't worth a punch-up, verbal or otherwise, here or anywhere else......disgust

Let's keep the superlatives in check, eh, gents?smile

Pete

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 10/06/2014 17:19:37:

This thread has been reasonably balanced and good-humoured so far - I'd like it kept that way otherwise it will be locked. The subject isn't worth a punch-up, verbal or otherwise, here or anywhere else......disgust

Let's keep the superlatives in check, eh, gents?smile

Pete

You see? That is what happens when football gets involved! Punch ups!!!!