What is a 4 stoke?

Martin Harris - Moderator

I've been a member of this forum from the early days and almost since the beginning I've been aware of what is seemingly a common keystroke (quite an apt term) error - the use of the terms 2 stoke and 4 stoke when referring to the number of strokes in the IC cycle...but this is the only place that I'm aware of seeing it regularly.

Is it just a frequent typing error, play on words or is the deliberate misuse of the term common in some parts of the country? It's not one I've heard used at my club in the Herts/Beds area, for instance.

Related to this terminology is that our friends across the pond invariably use the term cycle which makes little sense to me as surely the cycle is the complete intake to exhaust process - i.e. there are 2 or 4 strokes in a cycle.

So - mini poll - do you use 4 stroke or 4 stoke in normal conversation and if you use 4 stoke, what part of the country are you from?

Advert

Oh yes! It is of course "Stroke". You stoke steam engines by shovelling coal into the firebox .

I don't know where that cover on the book in your link comes from! A lower case first letter and an upper case second letter! four-Stroke !!!

I suspect that a lot of it could be Typonese, something which I am often guilty of too!

It would make for an interesting Poll to ask who uses the Spell Check on here, or any other forum. Judging by many submissions, very few. It also seems that a lot of people just type and send without re-reading what they've written - which can turn out to be close to gibberish. But a word of caution; be very careful when attempting to correct wrong spelling or English - it brings out the troll in those who resent having the error of their ways pointed out.

Posted by Colin Ashman on 16/10/2014 09:09:33:

I did it earlier this week in the title of my thread "Electric Starting A Four Stoke Engine". A typo I'm afraid, so I'm standing at the back of the class.

That's the sort of response that helps though. It just intrigued me as it seems so common. Another typo that tended to leap out was the mis-spelt word "teh" for "the" which seems less common recently - probably due to the proliferation of automatic spell checking - in fact I struggled to get my iPad to allow me to post it!

Gents - could I respectfully point out that you're wandering from my OP a bit...the 4 stroke (or 2 stroke) cycle is well understood by most of us. What I'm trying to establish is whether the term 4 stoke is simply a common typing error or a deliberately used alternative term (or deliberate pun maybe) for the IC cycle.

So far, the only indication is from one brave responder who has admitted to a typing error.  As I advised JP, a simple search for the word "stoke" in the forum search gives several examples in thread titles and I'm sure that if anyone could be bothered to look further that many examples would be seen in the postings.

Edited By Martin Harris on 17/10/2014 01:09:38

An engine stroke, I have learned, is one piston movement from BCD toTDC. The four stroke engine needs four movements or strokes to complete a power cycle. A two stroke only two.

Also known as a four cycle engine

Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

Posted by Martin Harris on 17/10/2014 01:02:05:

Gents - could I respectfully point out that you're wandering from my OP a bit...the 4 stroke (or 2 stroke) cycle is well understood by most of us. What I'm trying to establish is whether the term 4 stoke is simply a common typing error or a deliberately used alternative term (or deliberate pun maybe) for the IC cycle.

So far, the only indication is from one brave responder who has admitted to a typing error. As I advised JP, a simple search for the word "stoke" in the forum search gives several examples in thread titles and I'm sure that if anyone could be bothered to look further that many examples would be seen in the postings.

Edited By Martin Harris on 17/10/2014 01:09:38

Hi Martin, I don't think they read your last post (This quoted one) as they seem to just carry on with their discussion which seems to go round and round.

I would say that "Stoke" is a typo even if they will not admit it. I know that I have a lot of regualr typos. My left brain and right brain seem to work at different speeds.

I also plead guilty to not rereading my posts often enough and not using the spell checker on a regular basis

I don't think I have ever been guilty of the "Stoke" typo though.

Anyway, they all seem so happy going round and round and up and down with their discussion on what is a four stroke so just ignore them.

I think, Martin, the answer to your question is that 'stoke' is a keyboard error. Perhaps the keys for 't' and 'r' being adjacent make it easier for some to miss the latter when typing. Unfortunately for me, I continually pick up on misspellings in publications, TV sub-titles and message boards, but stroke and stoke are not something that I ever remember noticing as being confused, so maybe I'm not the born proof-reader I thought. Bought and brought, then and than, and their, there and they're, however, are very commonly confused. Also, couldn't of, as a corruption of couldn't've.

Edited By Prop Nut on 17/10/2014 09:11:30

To be fair, I think people see the thread title (which itself was a deliberate play on words), and then post replies to the most recent posts without reading the whole thread from the beginning. I opened the thread all fired up to start posting abusive comments along the lines of "Google it"!

I agree, though, that it can be difficult sometimes to tell typos from slang! It's more embarrassing the other way around, when you assume it's a typo and correct it, and then it transpires it wasn't a typo after all!!!