Winter seems to have arrived, who's been flying?

good luck at your new club(CADMAC) baz...I thought you were happy at Blyth...the rules at BVRMC-100 members+and run by a bunch of good lads were set up a long time ago to take in to account that there is a couple of farms that are residential ect...and bearing in mind that we live in times where all considerations are taken in to account-that was one of the reasons our former members who formed the club in the 60's took in when making the constitution etc...and of course our site is down as recreational ground for the use of all of the towns residents....and as such we have to share it with rugby team's,dog obedience classes, kite classes,circuses and anything else that the council decides to give permission for.......we are just one of the majority of user's...... we have no say over a lot of the going's on at Meggies Burn.....and don't forget there's dog walker's etc at your new found club...

ken Anderson.....ne...1......11.30 am dept.

Advert

John, I hope that's not the remains of somebody's model that's fuelling the 'central heating'!

Down here in Surrey it's been a chilly and breezy weekend, but a few idiots hardy souls have ventured out to fly anyway. Yesterday was due to be the windier day of the weekend, but with the wind straight down the strip. And straight down the strip it was, but very variable in strength, changing significantly within the space of a few minutes throughout the afternoon before becoming much calmer just before sunset. All considered, not a bad day, and we even had blue skies and sunshine much of the time, though it was still cold!

Today was supposed to be a calmer day, but with the wind at about 45 degrees to the strip. It turned out to be just as windy as yesterday, and from a less 'friendly' direction - more turbulent and across the strip. Grey skies too. We didn't stay until sunset, our enthusiasm had been depleted by about 4pm due to the wind and temperature.

Roll on next weekend, though somebody reckoned the forecast is for colder weather towards the end of next week...

Had a very good day on Friday. Saturday was gusty, but I took a chance as it was dry-ish. Bad idea, it was a lot worse than I thought and the plane was being chucked around in the gusts. I brought it down quickly, but was caught out with the wind on the landing approach. Pure luck there was no damage at all as it hit nose down into a patch of very soft saturated muddy turf. This was the first time I have had a crash in ages. I was annoyed with myself as I never fly in windy conditions. I was just trying to prolong the fun as there are so few flying opportunities in the winter, my first as a flyer....

Finally....finally ...got some flying in after work on Saturday afternoon. Lovely light winds down the strip, swmbo's bread pudding and fine company. Who could ask for more.

Flew the Flair Giles 202 and the Wot If. All was well. The TT130fs played up on the Giles but a new OS F cured that.

Went home at 4.30 with a large smile.laugh

6 of us out today up in cheshire, bright lovely morning with light but cold wind. Couple of guys with trusty WOT4's, few WOT foamies, bixler and a fun cub. I took my Pete Tindal mini edge, great little winter model, with an OS25fx, solid little plane, goes in the boot all up, frugal on juice (30%), bit of a pylon, sport aerobatic job, which handles breeze and bumpy ground well....very enjoyable, plus brushless zagi and suped up easystreet, until trying to setup wireless buddy on a Dx9 to a DX6i tested my patience and ended in failure still good to get out and enjoy the fresh air and good company.

Edited By extra slim on 25/01/2015 20:04:44

Posted by brfc7 on 25/01/2015 13:05:32:

Well I was back at CADMAC again this morning for 9.15am.

One 15 minute flight with my Twinstar and 7 minutes with my Radjet all before 10am smiley Then I had two 15 minute flights with my old Nexus 32. This is the big advantage flying at CADMAC over my usual club BVRMC as you can fly ic from 10am where as it's 11.30am on a Sunday at Blyth. Still never been another member there yet while I've been, it was a little bit windy but I'll fly in most conditions to be honest.

baz

most unusual baz , normaly some diehards there what ever the weathers doing. ,i cant play out cos i still aint got a tx yet .. so thats my excuse....fly low....

Posted by John Privett on 25/01/2015 19:00:37:

Today was supposed to be a calmer day, but with the wind at about 45 degrees to the strip. It turned out to be just as windy as yesterday, and from a less 'friendly' direction - more turbulent and across the strip. Grey skies too.

I learned the hard way that a mostly white model doesn't show up too well against pale grey skies; it does show up quite well against the green grass when you go to find it though

ironically enough, the fluoro orange paint I ordered to help with this turned up this morning. ho hum ...

Managed to get out yesterday morning for the first time this year and only the second time since the end of September. My last attempt - during the Christmas break - ended with me breaking my AcroWot (Duff Rx battery) and my beloved Curare 25 - didn't stop spinning when I told it to - recovered about 25 feet above the ground behind trees - so the best I could hope for was a slow arrival.

Fortunately both were repairable - and repaired - so take 2 yesterday.

The CG on the Curare has been moved forward about 10mm and this seems to have tamed the spin again, a new battery in the AcroWot and that was blasting around the sky like it had never seen it before.

The pilot on the other hand was flying with what felt a 2 second time lapse between brain and fingers. Painfully slow and totally out of sync with what was going on.

Nothing broken though - so a very good day

Martyn

Me me me, Along with another 12 to 15 lads flying indoors.

It was the first time I've ever done indoor flying and I have to say I really enjoyed it. I flew my Twisted Hobbies Crack Yak 800. Roll on next months session.

baz

Edited By brfc7 on 02/02/2015 23:24:58

Sunny and a bitter wind 15mph ish but quite warm when out of the wind (well 5 degrees warm anyway)

Three flights with the Bixler 3 - first one by the tame test pilot to get it trimmed out - a tad tail heavy

getting about 8 mins on a 2200mah which dropped to about 6mins as the wind came up and it needed more throttle against the wind

Might activate the flaps to slow it down as it really doesnt want to land

Flies nicely sensitive on the controls and blown about quite a bit but fun, got home and dremels off the tailwheel and pushrod - cant see me ever using the supplied u/c wel not now anyway

It seems some time since I have been out and flown. It is true I have gone down to the field at club No.2, occasionally flown, generally just the once, yet I would have written more about the cold, biting wind, than any flying, particualarly by me.

Today, I had arranged to meet Simon of Depron Planking fame, at club No.1. For a change the sky was pretty blue, no real wind. The only concern would Simon find the field. The start was inauspicious, my key did not fit the lock to the gate. Simon did find me and we did get into the field, by climbing over a style. This I found much harder than I expected, old age and short legs being the problem.

Now simon had brought his Cessna Skymaster, Bachem Natter and a couple of lightweight gliders. The emphasis should be on lightweight for all the models. In my case, my trusty Delta, my Canard, pushy Cat and my veteran Sagitta.

I was particularly keen to see the Natter in flight. I must confess, it flew much better in the flesh than when seen on Video. I was impressed.

We found out why my key did not work, we were in the wrong field, so it appeared as I spotted a figure in the distance gesticulating at us. So we swapped field, in this case no key was required, as the gate was a tangled mess, plus much of the adjacent fence, We debated was this the result of lampers or a car crash. The bits of glass and scattered plastic, indicated a spectacular car crash, which i doubt they just walked away from.

Simon now flew his Skymaster, which performed admirably. I could not help but think, I should have brought my Dornier 335, now that would have been a contrast in speed at the top end. Hmm, the bottom end would not have been as impressive. I flew my canard, which yet again I cam e near to stuffing in on the launch. Once straight and level, is not an issue, as it flies itself.

Simon flew his two gliders, as two of the other club members present also did.

Meanwhile I had stuffed my hands in my pockets, as far as I was concerned it was cold, the other two models were staying warm and safe in the car. By now the three fliers had landed and also stuffed their hands in their pockets, all deciding to go home.

I reflected it was some 6 months since I had flown here, great location, devoid of physical hazards, other than the ground. Roll on summer I was thinking as we tramped back to the car, i can then bring my chair, sandwiches and suntan oil and just sit there like the local fool. Fool I might be, but I know who will be the most relaxed.

Edited By Erfolg on 04/02/2015 17:37:00

It was cold first thing this morning down here in Cornwall, the ground was solid but the sky was clear blue and the wind was very low, almost completely still with no gusts. I had other plans, but changed them as conditions were perfect for flying my Radian glider. Today was also the perfect opportunity for my 8 year old to fly his own Radian for the first time (mostly) unattended with no buddy box setup. He did really well and made 5 good landings. I only helped by hand launching it for him and taking it up a little. It was great having 2 planes up in the air at the same time. It was 2 and a half hours of great fun. Hope you all had some flying time today too....

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 08/02/2015 20:46:09

Had a couple of hours flying here the foggy mist lifter enough to commit a bit of aviation, took the bixler down to the field - virtually no wind at first then a few gusts at 100 ft or so... going to have to activate the flaps on the bixler it really doesnt want to stop flying!!!

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 08/02/2015 20:47:59