Winter seems to have arrived, who's been flying?

Had a good afternoons flying, managed to maiden my new Whippit Type 2 and blew the dust off a few older models.

img_5050.jpg

img_5056.jpg

Maidened a Cleen Sweep for a fellow clubmate, it didn't sound right when it took off and when I opened it up the motor decided it no longer wanted anything to do with the airframe. Luckily managed to get it down in one piece so will live to fly another day!

img_5046.jpg

Rich

Managed 2 days of flying this weekend! Went out Saturday slope soaring at the back of the Roaches in Derbyshire. The motor in my ST Fox died last year so I unplugged it, took the props off the folding hub & threw it off the hill into approx 15mph wind. As a motor glider it was useless & with the motor off it was like flying an extended dead stick, only coming down, but off the slope it was a different toy. Decent airspeed, aerobatic, even managing stall turns and some rolls, although still untidy! When the wind dropped off later in the afternoon it started to turn into a thermal hunting session and after the last thermal (mixed with some slope gusts) just managed to lift me out of the valley to enable a landing without a long walk I decided to call it a day.

Went out to our flying field today with a few club members. Quite a few maidens on the cards this afternoon too. My Tucanno and Mosquito. Pauls Tommahawk II and WotsWot and Old Phils Cub with its' big bosomed pilot "Eddie!" When the wind died down later in the afternoon I took the Atom up for a "spin" First take off run was aborted after a wheel dropped into a sheeps hoof hole & started doing doughnuts! Second take off run saw it bouncing all over the place down the strip eventually flipping nose over. Third time worked a charm and some amusing slow whooshing flybys ensued ending with a nice spot landing.

All in a nice weekend for it! Very happy.

Hi ,

I also managed to get out today ,

I took my Lb Special but un fortunately it was too windy , and i wanted to try out my new setting on a new Radio sad.

I also took my sons trainer but unfortunately he was not feeling well , and nether was the engine i wasted most of the day trying to get it to run sad.

But i did manage to fly both My Sipa s-200 ,

and as i had just bought a 808 Key chain camera for the bargain price of just £5 i decided to do a in flight video on board my Silver Sipa 200 ,

I was a very bright and breezy day and my cockpit mold is not crystal clear ,

Steve

Edited By Stephen Jones on 22/03/2015 22:21:20

Hi All,

Had a mixed bag today. Had some good flying with my extreme and had hoped to maiden my Flair Astro Hog but I had a new RCV 58 fitted to her and decided to run - in the engine but after about 10 mins of rich running the engine made some terrible noises and I chopped the throttle. I allowed the engine to cool and inspected all seemed OK so I tried again and she fired up no problem and sounded great but again after about 10 mins the noise returned and I abandoned any thoughts of flying her.

No one in at the field has never owned an RCV engine so I'm in the dark on this one. The engine is about 10 years old although never been run. I did buy it on an auction site but the carb was still sealed.

Is it terminal?

I did also successfully run - in the Provost though, but did not fly her. I'll save it for another day when my mind is more focused and not thinking about broken motors.

dsc00916.jpg

Edited By Robert Parker on 22/03/2015 22:58:08

Maidened this 1/6 scale BE2e, which I bought in a bereavement sale, yesterday afternoon. Spent most of the day faffing about adjusting the aileron pushrods and trying to get the virtually new engine, an OS70 FL, to tick over while its exhaust was routed through an un-pressurised scale overwing silencer.

With the help of clubmates I got it to a stage where the engine ran well enough at moderate to high speed and as it was a perfect day for a biplane I decided to fly the ..er..fellow.. There is a tradition at SMFC that new models on maiden flight are given the air while assembled colleagues sit on chairs like judges at some flying competition! I had an audience of perhaps ten when I pushed that throttle stick forward. The model trundled across the grass and took off. Although the c of g was in the stated position it obviously needed lead in the nose. I flew it about for perhaps five minutes before executing a landing. The model flipped over but was undamaged.

Do you think that I should add a pressure nipple to the silencer?

be2e.jpg

be2e (6).jpg

be2e (5).jpg

be2e (2).jpg

be2e (1).jpg

Snap brfc7, it is a me to, I went out this afternoon.

I will admit that the poor weather of late and various domestic constraints have put a damper on my desire to get out there.

I did today, meeting up with three other club No.1 members at the field.

Although taking 3 models I flew just the two.

I cannot but note how the constraints of club field no2 has on my flying. It is all the trees, the position of the flight line relative to the pits and so on. Here I find I can do low passes, then a roll on the climb out, and find it easy. The other aspect is that inverted flight is not such an issue. The sky is free of obstacles if you were to drift of line. It was the same with loops, no need to precisely place the model in the right patch of sky to undertake low level loops, there being no obstacles to avoid or climb up and over.

Landings are another matter altogether though, my first landing with my Nobler, ended with a snapped nylon wing bolt, having caught one of the millions of tufts of grass that this field is covered.

All in all, worth the effort before the poor weather returns again in this, the Northern Power House.

Forgot to say in my above post that I only had 2 flights with the Summit 40 as some of the tailplane covering underneath decided to completely come off and start flapping in the draught. I wouldn't care but my plan was to see if it flew today and then run an iron all over it after. Just a 2 minute fix though.

baz

Had my first day's outdoor flying this week, which was great (if a bit cold at the end of the day). Though I've been flying regularly indoors throughout the winter, this was the first real chance to fly out of doors. Highlights of the day was getting my venerable Easy Bee back in the air after being in the workshop for repairs for ages - love this model and she's coming up to 20 years old. Got a bit overconfident in the harrier landing though and had an un-intended meeting with a new fence post. All repaired now.

The other big highlight was sharing some weak early Spring thermals with the resident Red Kite. My clubmate Derek was on hand to take some snaps and it was a grand day all round - thanks D. He always manages to capture those in-air shots with some real atmosphere, as his piccie of my PZ Spitfire shows. It was good to see the lads at the field and hoping for a really good flying season to come.easybee1 250315.jpgeasybeedive250315.jpgeasybeebroken250315.jpgeasygliderkite250315.jpgparkzone spitfire 25 march 2015.jpg

Super pics, leccy - and there's no reason why you shouldn't re-post them in the new Spring thread - they are worthy of an ongoing audience thumbs up

As cymaz seems to think conditions will be becoming more favourable from now on (wink 2), I'll lock this thread off now....

Bye bye, Winter!teeth 2

Pete