Greetings Earthlings!

Myk Riley

Hi one and all!

Just dropping a line as a newbie, or a returning oldie, who has been sidetracked for more years than I wished for!

Started with this hobby as a kid, maybe 10ish, after getting a Cox .049 CL Warhawk (Tommahawk maybe?) from a jumble sale! After a visit to my model shop (they used to be within walking distance in those days wink), I acquired the extra kit needed and started crashing it into my local field! Over time, I learned to build things and fly them, finally progressing to R/C back in the eighties whilst serving in Germany. Ah, getting there I thought!

Just managed to get a few solo flights in and then....

Kids arrived! The birth of my daughter made me put plans on hold (for a short while I thought). However, a small controversial war in the Gulf also managed to get in the way, and stuff just gathered dust for a while!

Anyhow, long story short...

Just getting back into this, going electric, prob gliders, and finding that I must have spent several years 'off planet ' somehow... (hence thread title!)

It's all changed! And how! surprise

2.4, reliable electrics, ic in decline! And where have all the builders gone?

Very different. However, I am glad to see that at least one thing remains the same...

The helpfulness of fellow hobbyists through the likes of this forum! smiley

Over the past few days I have been trying to catch up a little, and work my head around electrics (will pose a question later on the correct forum), so have been reading quite a lot (mainly Timbo's contributions and related stuff) plus as much beginners threads as I can eat. wink 2

Luckily the internet does provide some good info providing you look carefully, so I am getting there. However, there may be light at the end of the tunnel, but it's still bloomin' dark in the guards van!

Intentions...

well I have obtained an old towline glider (2 ch, 80's style) for some cheap practice. Have been 'flying' on the MPX sim (free online one), contacted and visited local club, sought advice from experienced glider bod, obtained chargers and used them. Intend to get a Radian Pro (though that Red Eagle is very tempting---July RCME) and have an old Hi Boy which I would like to convert (proving difficult to get info) and may not be worthwhile, though learning how-to certainly is!

Anyhow, hi to all, and thanks for the info and entertainment so far!

Myk (pronounced Mick)

Advert

Welcome Myk, where did you serve in Germany? I was in Lippstadt in the early 80's

I just know you are going to say Crab Airways!!!! sad

But I'll forgive you that.....

Oh and there are lots of Builders around.... some of them leave me speechless with envy too

Edited By Dave Hopkin on 07/01/2015 19:18:39

Hi Myk & welcome

Although i.c. does seem in decline I don't think glow engines have ever been so cheap or reliable!

Electric is very conveinient as long as you keep the magic smoke inside the wires!

Computers are a lot cheaper and faster now too bit the music has definitely gone downhill!

Edited By Chris Barlow on 07/01/2015 19:27:34

Hi Myk.

Welcome back to the hobby.

Once it's in the blood, it never goes away. I know what it's like - I got my first whiff of nitro and diesel in my early teens but one thing after another kept me away till my late forties.

Remember - the only daft question is the one you don't ask.

Gary

Hi Dave, Chris and Gary, thanks for that!

Crab Air, moi ? angel 2

Yeah, your right of course cheeky Laarbruch actually, near Venlo, Monchengladbach, JHQ, and later a spell at Bruggen.

If it's any consolation, a bit later on I used to drive Scimitars, Spartans etc and teach 30mm gunnery! Ah, the wonderful Cold War when you knew who the baddies were wink

Yes, I have noticed a few builders with blogs and stuff, it was really the qty and quality of the foamies I was surprised about, so easy for people to get started (so where are the young 'uns?) I assume.

Chris, yep, noticed the price drop! I still have a few old mags and looking at the prices they are roughly the same as in '84 surprise. Still have hope of that Pup with an FS48!

Hmmn, electric string, wonderful stuff. Learning (or rather re-learning) the wiggly amps rules is fun... gets the grey matter workin'!

And Gary, well, as I am rapidly discovering it does seem to be an ageing hobby (with many saying they are returning) and it makes you wonder if it can survive PS4s etc with little or no new blood coming in? I know that when I visited my local club (Peterborough) it seemed that a qualification of membership was to be retired!

But joking aside, I am glad to have made the return, nice to do some thinking, building and cursing again!

Ta for the welcome, Myk.

Posted by Myk Riley on 07/01/2015 20:27:40:

Crab Air, moi ? angel 2

Yeah, your right of course cheeky Laarbruch actually, near Venlo, Monchengladbach, JHQ, and later a spell at Bruggen.

If it's any consolation, a bit later on I used to drive Scimitars, Spartans etc and teach 30mm gunnery! Ah, the wonderful Cold War when you knew who the baddies were wink

Gods it gets worse....... A Rock Ape crying

Yep it was wonderful, I personally saved western democracy several times from inside a 438 and/or en-suite hole in the ground, mind you we always had a copy of the Zeebrugge Ferry Timetable handy just in case wink

Hi Myk,

Welcome to Earth from Kent Sector, Western Quadrant!

You'll be at home here, I suspect 90% of us are returnees.

Don't give up on oily motors entirely, they are still a lot of fun and you may feel there is something missing if you go completely over to to spark side. I do both and enjoy both but for different reasons.

Shaunie.

Thanks all, it is nice to feel welcome! I am quite sure that I will have plenty of questions, but with such a comprehensive forum and clear layout I am hoping to find the answers rather than repeat the questions (I promise to try at least, first wink 2).

Dave, close, but no banana! Not Rock Ape, Armourer, specifically EOD. Bags of fun, and no-one was going to tell me off if I got it wrong devil.

What a delightful bunch you all are laugh

Thanks guys,

Myk.

Hi Myk

There are lots of builders out there. Trust me on this.

Engines are so easy to start these days and there are no bad ones around now.

I was at Laarbruch when you were still at school. 1965-67. At the MU so went to most other stations repairing aircraft or digging them out of deep holes in the ground. We had a good club there.

Also Aden in 61-2. We had a really fabulous club there too,