What model did you use ?

Advert

Was flying RC in the 70's and 80's and moved over to control line flying until quite recently. Never took any certificates at the time.

Came back to RC last year and resurrected a Junior 60 , the only model I had left.

When I joined my present club had to take the A certificate before I was allowed to fly solo. Found it harder than it looks on paper. Must be my age. Glad I did it though. Club members were very helpful.

A sensible requrement for clubs in my opinion

Robin

Took my 'A' around 1988 with an electric powered Cub built very lightly from a plan (forget which one now but about 48 " span - 6 or 7 sub Cs and cheap Mabuchi motor ) - very early days in practical electric flight, and although there were plenty of Sonata E type gliders around, I think I was the first in my club at that time to have a scale type E model that would ROG.

Did my 'B' and Examiners ticket a few years later with a trusty old Acrowot .61 glow powered - happy days!

Posted by Percy Verance on 27/02/2015 22:15:51:

I do know of several flyers whom have considerably more experience than myself, whom steadfastly refuse to participate in the BMFA Achievement Scheme, one particular chap citing that he flies simply for his own relaxation and enjoyment, so why should he have to take any test? He often designs and builds his own models - some of which are 1/4 scale- and has been flying since the 50's, so who am I to argue with him?

Edited By Percy Verance on 27/02/2015 22:24:24

It's a shame that many flyers still hold that opinion when they could be setting a positive example to younger and inexperienced modellers - could be a fear of showing themselves up or simply just being awkward. Some forget it's just an achievement scheme and not a test of aerobatic prowess per se or legal permission to fly. How many time have you heard reference made to 'an A' or 'B' licence?

Edited By Cuban8 on 28/02/2015 11:24:29

I took my 'A' test with a Precedent FunFly powered with a Super Tiger 34. Still got the engine but the FunFly was destroyed when the battery went flay on the down leg of a stall turn. My fault for trying to tke advantage of a decent winter's day and neglected to charge it properly.

I think I could pass the flying part of the 'B' but I can't be bothered to learn all about how events rules etc which seem to be part of the 'B' questions. If I was organising anything like that I wouldn't rely on memory anyway.

Geoff

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 28/02/2015 12:25:00:

I think I could pass the flying part of the 'B' but I can't be bothered to learn all about how events rules etc which seem to be part of the 'B' questions. If I was organising anything like that I wouldn't rely on memory anyway.

Geoff

IIRC there's five or six pages of general info relevant to model displays that needs to be covered from the manual, easily read through in a few minutes, so not too taxing really. Only a few facts and figures surrounding the ANO that you probably know already, much of the other stuff is mainly common sense. Don't be put off and give it a go.

Took My "B" with my Kyosho Majestic with YS 63 a few years ago . Great plane for test as wind was blowing hard across the patch. Still got it and get it in the air occasionally , but getting a bit tatty now . Anyone thinking about taking an "Achievement" give it ago . It gives you a  target to aim for , not just the ground wink.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 28/02/2015 13:01:22