Model aircraft on tv

Trots

Advert

Like most model programmes it will probably make you want to hammer your telly, especially if Blizzard's anything to do with it. I recall when we first got Sky, years ago we thought, "Great! Model programmes" They were all patronising rubbish, as such programmes so often are.

MrTin

I remember when we first got Sky and all these programmes were on, Model Mania with Kevin Duala..I think I saw John Ricketts of the LMA on one of the episodes and Supermodels etc...I don't think they ever appear to be what they are in terms of timescales, builder etc.

If I remember correctly Dick Wallinger the then Graupner/Robbe importer, had something to do with this particular episode and some of the filming was done not far from me at Market Bosworth Water Park.

I think any model aircraft "publicity" that gets anybody interested , just one would be worth it , is OK even if its content is not quite how we would like it.

our small club has an average age of 70 plus , this is not good , but nobody appears interested in joining , and new blood is whats needed .

Roll on the Nats

Robert Symes-Schutzman, as he used to appear in the model railway mags years ago. A BBC producer for a time, hence, I would imagine, the programmes! It transpired little was self-made as so strongly implied. My chum was a committee member of the Gauge 1 Association and gave me the SP on that one.

I met RS-S at a Gauge 1 meeting in Ely. Hmmmm.......

MrTin

• 4 months later...

Come Dancing was on air from 1948 when it broadcast directly from amateur dance events and competitions around the UK moving onto a Come Dancing trophy in 1953 where the best dancers would compete for that trophy. The format lasted stright through till 1998. It is recognised as one of the longest running TV shows in the UK!

I would say it was a little bit more than "hardly anyone bothered to watch it" !

I suppose with all the model flying related channels on YouTube, the attraction of making a TV series to replicate what is already widely available on the internet can't be very great.

The 'Come Dancing' comments had be chuckling as they reminded me of my first boss when I started work in the 70s. He'd always collapse into fits of laughter at the mention of 'Come Dancing' and being an innocent young lad, I had to have his behaviour explained to mewink

What about Roy Lever on Model Mania? Now there was a passionate modeller, many a happy hour spent in his store gathering goodies and being shown the latest must haves! and of course listening to him correct those who were straying from fixed wing, glow/petrol fuelled models!

Roy always reminded me of Fred Dibner, they had the same enthusiasm for their hobbies...

Also enjoyed Bob Symes.. I still have the book that went along with the BBC TV series with planes for a model airplane in..

Those were the days.. and the best time of year to remember such happy times and folk we all used to enjoy watching. SKY should run a dedicated hobbies channel for us all to have on in the background whilst in the workshop..

These old programs really should have a warning notice before the broadcast. Something along the lines of...

HISTORIC ARCHIVE FOOTAGE.
This program represents modeling as it was many years back, and does not represent current practice.
Please refer to up to date sources, such as the excellent RCME magazinewink, to see exciting models and short ariels.

Uninformed people may come away with the idea that a helium balloon controlled by a 27MHz AM 'Divining rod' is what we all really think of as 'FUN'

Modeling has moved on so far as to make these programs well and truly obsolete.

Posted by Kevin Wilson on 14/12/2015 15:27:59:

These old programs really should have a warning notice before the broadcast. Something along the lines of...

HISTORIC ARCHIVE FOOTAGE.
This program represents modeling as it was many years back, and does not represent current practice.
Please refer to up to date sources, such as the excellent RCME magazinewink, to see exciting models and short ariels.

Uninformed people may come away with the idea that a helium balloon controlled by a 27MHz AM 'Divining rod' is what we all really think of as 'FUN'

Modeling has moved on so far as to make these programs well and truly obsolete.

Hey Kevin

A good few of us on here put so much into the hobby back "then" it made it what it is "today"..! Still if lifting an Wots Wot in ARTF guise whilst in the Aisles of Tesco floats your boat (litterally as I have read they sell them too) go on and enjoy.. for sure you wont see the few of us who enjoyed this thread in the aisles anytime soon!

This program represents modelling as it was many years back, and does not represent current practice.

It may not be your personal current practise Kevin but some of us do try hard to keep the retro-RC flag flying.

...that would be Classic Motorcycle Magazine if you want to see Ariels.

Uninformed people....

pots, kettles...

I fear gentlemen that you misinterpereted my words, clearly misunderstood my meaning.

I have great respect for the history of our hobby. I have enjoyed flying since '79 and learned to fly on 2 chanel 27AM.

The vast majority of my models are plan built, and the last one was an own design.

It would be nice to see some up to date content showing how far our hobby has come.

I am sure 3D helicopters would strike a chord with younger viewers, and certainly some multi rotor coverage would make it very relevant. The recent increase of the Dynamic Soaring record to over 500mph is probably worth a program in itself.

I just found the recent reruns of very old programs dated and unrepresentative.

Posted by Kevin Wilson on 15/12/2015 07:57:07:

I fear gentlemen that you misinterpereted my words, clearly misunderstood my meaning.

It would be nice to see some up to date content showing how far our hobby has come.

I just found the recent reruns of very old programs dated and unrepresentative.

I agree entirely . Far too many old repeats on tv that have been seen far too many times although there may be some old stuff that never been repeated ? Some up to date programmes with some clips of older stuff for comparison would be great . Are there any TV producers in our ranks ?