Winters Here Who's Been Flying ?

Hey Andy!
Yep you're right that's pretty much where it split....epoxy holding it together now so hopefully it'll be stronger now. Recovered the wing and fuselage tonight...ready to fly again soon!
It flies fantastic, can't wait for some decent weather and long evenings!

Advert

Nice and sunny when I left home at 9am. Got to the field 5 miles away and in the West I could see huge blackness arriving. Got one flight in on the Riot as the wind picked up in gusts. So, being chicken I packed up pdq and just got got to the field gate as snow arrived. It was freezing on the fingers and the light was awful. When will this crap weather end ? Colin

Another member living in the Great Northern Power House.Last night this one went to bed feeling smug, after watching the weather forecast. Yes, there will be snow tomorrow I thought, not here though. All those people living at the foothills of the Penines and over the top well into Yorkshire, need to fear the worst. But not here, the weather map detail clearly showing nothing for us.

Waking up found the ground bedecked with the white stuff, cars slipping about, on the minor roads. As is usual no gritting when the weather is poor, gritting only done when there is no H&S risk to the drivers of the grtters, that is when it is fine. Walking for my news paper was treacherous. It seems smugness goes before a fall.

Even as I type there is a steady fall of light snow, now turning to mush as it strikes the warm ground.

As to flying, there will be non here, i will continue my assembly of models to be transferred to the new house.

Almost depressingly, I keep finding yet more models, that I had forgotten about. Stuffed into wardrobes, hidden in corners and garage shelves. Just so much to move. The other question I am struggling with, there are 4 new models that need trimming out by my competent test flier. I cannot move these can I, not until the final move or that the weather relents so that they can be test flown?

Edited By Erfolg on 04/03/2016 11:16:59

Edited By Erfolg on 04/03/2016 11:18:25

Edited By Erfolg on 04/03/2016 11:19:01

Posted by Martin Harris on 04/03/2016 12:51:05:

Posted by Erfolg on 04/03/2016 11:15:40:

Another member living in the Great Northern Power House

What/where exactly is this Great Northern Powerhouse that keeps getting mentioned? Somewhere to charge LiPos?

Edited By Martin Harris on 04/03/2016 12:52:48

Its an area of the country defined by that well know economic genius and towel folder Gideon Osbourne as part of the election promises - it vaguely bounded by the Irish Sea to the west, Cumbria to the North, Staffordshire the the south and Narnia to the east..... A zone where money is magically created from thin air and made to vanish just as quickly after the headlines have been printed...............

See "Scam"

Well I guess I'm a refugee from the GNP - after migrating to London to get a job shortly after graduating not far short of 40 years ago...

Anyway, back to the present. After not flying last weekend or the weekend before, and only managing a couple of flights the weekend before that (all due to the weather) I thought today was going to be a washout. But the forecast rain wasn't as bad as expected and mostly cleared up by early afternoon. It was a little breezy still, and rather chilly, but another club-member had a new Jeti tx to try out, so I went along too. We each only had one flight - which was enough in those conditions! At least it blew away the cobwebs, and tomorrow looks like it might be a bit calmer and warmer less cold.

Managed a couple of 15 min flights with the Guppy at Seaton Sluice this afternoon. Wind was a little W of N which causes turbulence problems near the deck, it was dry & red sticky liquidy cold but still enjoyed it.
Similar forecast Sunday & Monday but a certain American imported celebration(?) is likely to hinder tomorrows prospects. teeth

Finally.....finally myself and Flight1 got some slope soaring in today. We went down to St Agnes. Started off on the NW slope ( where Flight1 had a mishap....). Then off down to the W slope as the wind moved a bit. ( Where flight1 had servo trouble...oops).

Ended up he borrowed my SAS Wildthing for 1/2 the afternoon. Both enjoyed the lift as did the rest of the lads down there.

Edited By cymaz on 06/03/2016 15:05:36

Just had a nice couple of hours on a snowy slope - bit cold on the fingers and the lift was surprisingly marginal given the windspeed stated as 13mph, but managed a few flight and a maiden for my PMP BAE Hawk PSS model - which looks like she's a keeper and ill perform well with a little stronger wingspeed. Brilliant to get out in the fresh air though - roll on Spring

Labouring the point of moving house, has severely acted as an impediment to both flying and what I have available for flying.

That meant that on Saturday i did go to the field, although rather late, having prudently having waited for SWMBO to go out. Being late i did not take a model, just went to watch and a chat. There was a a light wind, biteingly cold. Just a few people there the car parking situation, I suspect in conjunction with inclement weather tipping the balance.

Today, with the better half going to S Annes, for lunch with the daughters No.1 & 2, did mean i could go to the field not feeling the wrath of SWMBO. My modelling room is now in complete turmoil, as I attempt to identify what I have and how and when to move it. In the end I took my trusty Delta and the Me 163D. The 163 taken in hope that my test pilot would be present.

Everything else I am now trying to get to our new house.

At the field, what parking is available was pretty much taken. A quick scan did indicate that my pilot was not present. Parking up the best i could, I took my Delta and executive Tx case up to the field.

The restrictions once again have restricted those present to a mere hanful of people.

As I considered the situation, one of those new planes took off, with three levels of stability built into the package, all switchable from the Tx whilst in flight. I watched it rise from the ground, enter a circuit, then start another. At this point i looked away, when almost immediately i became aware something was amiss. The model was now stationary at the top of a tree, whilst I looked on a peice came fluttering down.

A number of us went across to the tree, where it was apparent that it was stuck and very unlikely to come down by itself. The tree being pretty substantial, probably a nominal 8-10 inches in dia. Certainly sturdy enough that there was no chance of shaking the tree. A tree saw appeared quickly, does the owner carry one in his back pocket?

After a short discussion the more knowledgeable and experienced tree surgeons from within the club had weighed up the options and then selected the appropriate method. Not as simple as I describe the process there being approx. 4 or 5 trucks making up a substantial tree. We all took turns in sawing, remarkably quickly we were through the tree. The tree not falling being held in place by intertwined branches. After the use of a rope and a big lever the tree was on the ground, with little damage to the model.

How I will miss this group of guys. I do wonder will I miss the trees though?

I did fly, watched a couple of other models.

Again marvelled at an Elite Corsair, again with stability control, flown by a new member, his first ever flight, away from a simulator. Watching the model, I could not help but think, I need this system for my models, as it is so easy. Then I stopped and thought, hmmm, his son, flew better after only a couple of sessions than most of us with years of experience. It probably has more to do with the jeans than the model. No hope for me then.crying 2

There are now three of the very large all foam Trojans in the club. Two of which were present and as is usual were magnificent to watch.

During the couple of hours i was present, the wind became slightly stronger, most certainly colder.

As I left the field, i wondered what would await me when I find a new club. Maybe no trees, or hopefully a lot less, but will the guys be as great, time will tell, each time I leave my heart is a little heavier, as I know change beckons.

Erfolg was what is known as "artificial linear arboreal control" or "pollarding"

I take your point though Leccyflier. So,the club does not have a step ladder? We have a long two section ladder and are due to purchase a second soon, you might hazard a guess how many trees we have around our site!

Leccyflyer

There are no shortages of trees around our flying field. A veritable arboretum.

Some 30 years ago when i was first a menber of the club, there was not a single tree to be seen. I returned to this club some 2 years back, for a number of reasons. During the intervening years, what once was a a grass meadow has been turned into something very different. Horticultrists sowed seeds, promising the club, a meadow full of rare flowers, as once covered UK fields. What they have is masses of thistles, nettles and other hideaos plants that grow to the height of a man, a impregnable thicket most of the year. Far thicker than the undergrowth that surrounded the Castle of sleeping buety.

Worst of all, are the trees every where on our land. Hemminng in a once magnificent sward of grasses.

The restraint and tolerance shown by the club officials and members, is to be commended.

And do not get me started about the Indian balm and Japanese Knot weed that covers the banks of the river. I ave head that the British Army have considered the area for jungle training, of their most experienced troops.

On the plus side, the area is patrolled by Buzzards, Kestrels, plus ducks, geese, Pheasants all to be seen. Only yesterday, a ball of about 50-100 gulls rose out of the cultivated fields on the other side of the river. In summer the field is crisis crossed by Sand Martins catching flies.

A most unforgiving environment for model aircraft, yet full of wild life. Forty or more trees would not be missed on this site.

Went to the field about 2pm, whilst it was flat calm when I loaded the car up in the morning, by the time I got there a gusty (icy cold)) wind has sprung up - I had been planning to give the Ballerina a maiden but with the wind, chickened out and just did some power tests - though while rolling into the wind she did accidently lift off - got about 3 foot off the ground with a very slight roll to the left (might have been wind) but I resisted temptation and cut the throttle and let it glide back down - conclusions, CoG needs to go back a tad and U/C Legs need a bit more forwards rake on them

Got a couple of flights with the calmato in the gusty winds before my fingers froze

Cymaz, a double extension ladder would not be long enough, in this case and most situations.

Most of Western Europe has managed agriculture as the basis of maintaining the environment. I will admit to being horrified at many of those who advocate a wilding of our country side. My main concern is the extreme position that is often adopted, and intolerance of others views, by activists. A few of the model flying clubs have had issues with some of the activists engaged in what was the Mersey Valley project, now defunct. It seems that the Somerset levels and some conservation project displayed a total lack of balance between maintaining the safety of human life, property and developing habitats for birds etc.

I feel compelled to support and praise my club in their support of maintaining and supporting a balance between the needs of natural wild life and our desire to fly models.

I think that Cymaz understands that at worst what is occasionally undertaken is pollarding. One of our members a one time Forestry Commission worker, has suggested to create more opportunities and balance the needs of wildlife, including ground growing plants with trees, that virtually every other tree needs to be removed, as a minimum.

We all enjoy the world of nature and respect it.

Flown today for the first time this year. Arrived at Fradley at 11.35, weather bright, cold made worse by a 6/8 knot wind. Flew the Top Gun Edge 540 first, several years old now but it still flies on rails with the brilliant OS91FX, love that motor. After a few minutes my fingers were so numb I was losing feeling, so landed and retired to the club hut for a warm cup of tea.

After recovering, I flew the XB42 Mixmaster. That's turned out to be a solid, dependable flyer and the contra-props hum along very nicely. One of the better things that I've done. As hypothermia set in I landed it before losing consciousness and retired to the hut again.

Having recovered once again to some semblance of humanity, I ventured back out to the Edge. It wouldn't start. Ridiculous, it always starts. Not this time it wouldn't. Everything seemed OK, plug fine, fuel system looked OK, but something wasn't right. After 3 1/2 hours I called it a day and went home. With SWMBO away for the weekend I took the Edge into the kitchen and went through it. Eventually I realised that it was the remote fueler, the plunger had jammed down in the refuelling position and was blocking fuel flow to the needle valve. Binned it and fitted a spare.

So no building today, but I needed some flying practice and at least it wasn't a total disaster.

Hi all got a maiden in today with my newly finished Multiplex fun Cub, About 5 degrees with 15 -20mph northerly wind. Apart from being buffeted about quite a bit the flight went well. Although I'm a reasonable pilot the grass strip the my local club has is very rough, so do not want to rip the undercarriadges off from my better nitro and leccy aircraft. Hence getting the Fun Cub think it will be a blast.