Winters Here Who's Been Flying ?

Cold and a bit breezy here today in South Norfolk but ventured out late afternoon to give the Freewing Crusader ‘Toss n Boss’ it’s maiden flight. I’ve upgraded the fan to a 12 blader and esc so it can run up to 6s but I only flew it with 4s 1800 packs which after 3 mins flying left me with 65% in the packs on landing. Really quiet and handled very well with slight trimming necessary. Ordered some 6s 1800 packs now which should make it interesting!

7fc5b799-ab3e-4a4e-87a0-91adf343895b.jpeg

Advert

As with many I have not done much flying recently, just the odd flight in the last 4 weeks.

Today the snow finally arrived here on the NW coast.

wp_20171210_11_01_18_pro.jpg

I appreciate that compared with else where it is nothing, although we are just a few hundred yards from the sea. Inland it is much worse. The news told us last week, that in this region we have had twice the amount of rain that is the norm for this area, in the last month. Farmers cannot lift their crops, food is rotting in the fields. The track down to our field has turned into a ribbon of mud, partly down to farm contractors trying to lift a potato crop. The roads to the field is pretty much all country lanes, they will be treacherous, as there will not be any gritting. Perhaps the good news is that since some councillors were fined for some offences related to their behaviour, near the Fracking site. The wandering into the road as cars etc approach has ceased. Although the numbers present are much reduced in this weather.

The other major problem we have endured is very strong wind, which has alternated most of the year with rain. The seat at the end of the garden is fastened to the flags. These were flat initially, I was aware that there had been some movement due to wind effects. Examination of the existing flags has shown that I will need to put a concrete base down, onto which the flags will be laid, and the bench fastened down into the concrete sub base, the winds here can be that strong.

On a brighter note remotoring my PT19 with a more powerful motor, has transformed a iffy flier into a capable model.

wp_20170228_09_51_04_pro.jpg

The tendency to swing heavily to the left on take of has been cured, as the model is no longer on the brink of a stall, it just powers out. It is a similar story with loops, no longer is a dive required, and then very careful use of the elevator, to prevent stalling out or skewing as the stall is approached. Now just manage the throttle. With rolls it si the same, no more really barrel like.

The field is a now tufty and a bit long, due to the grassed area being water logged there is no opportunity to cut the grass. Although on my previous session the PT19 took of with a bit of a struggle, on landing it somersaulted at touch down. Now it is seems it is my Delta or similar or nothing for now.

Flying twice today - mid-morning and at dusk. Morning, -5C. Dusk - a balmy +1C.

As a change from the "posh" models above, today's offering are a Robotbirds chuck glider conversion and a re-built, re-maidened slow-flier made from laminate-flooring underlay, 5mm. Plus quite a few iced lolly and Magnum ice-cream sticks. Jedelski - ish wing, which flutters beautifully at "speed".

Rather disappointed that all the snow had gone by today - after dusting off my float-equipped Limbo Dancer in anticipation yesterday.

It's powered by an MDS38 so you might think I'd had a lucky escape but after some experimentation with different engines in my 58" Glen's CAP 232 recently, I wanted a little more power so, as an eternal optimist (masochist?) I was sorting through my engine drawers for something to replace its rather tired Irvine 53 and my eyes lit upon an MDS58 that had remained unrun for a decade or so. As it fitted onto the Irvine's mount without modification I threw caution to the wind and bolted it in.

What a recipe for disappointment - a sticky old MDS on a cold day. Well, sorry - after a quick prime, it burst into life, passed the club noise test and proceeded to propel the CAP around the sky with great authority without missing a beat (unless you count its reluctance to stop after the flight). Rather a come down since its last outing with a Laser 62 fitted but the CAP was great to fly even if it didn't sound as good!

Today was another day my part of Suffolk defied the weather forecasters call for fog first thing. Well is was a beautiful sunny day if ruddy cold face 9.

Anyway quickly charged up some Lipos and charged down the field.

fullsizeoutput_aa2.jpegSun was low in the sky, but had four flights with my Mythos50e. Great way to spend a couple of hours. Very exhilarating! smile d

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 19/12/2017 13:51:40

My disappointment at missing the last bout of snow was tempered by some good fun with my float equipped Limbo Dancer this afternoon. It looks rather comical (and exhibits some fairly odd handling with power changes) in the air on large floats but they are brilliant for ground handling in all types of snow.

It's the first time it's been out in a couple of years after knocking around in the depths of my shed - I had removed several ounces of dust during the last snowfall so all that was required was a battery charge and a tank of fuel. After some initial reluctance to fire, probably as much to do with the freezing temperature as anything, a prime through the plug hole had the (shock horror!) ancient MDS 38 burbling away where, once warmed up, it performed faultlessly.

(Pictured in rather less snowy conditions)

Edited By Martin Harris on 28/12/2017 17:27:11

It seems unlike so many, I have not been out flying a model for weeks, probably a month. It seems his s also true for most if not all in my club, as at the last club night, just the one said they had flown, it would seem the one outing.

The trouble here seem to be many, it has been blowing a gale here for weeks, if not very windy, it is raining, which mas meant that the track down to our field is a mud slide, leading to a totally water logged field, where the grass is now tufty an a little long. It has surprised me that although the field is on a ridge that overlooks the coast, in the near distance, the field is prone to holding water. As are many of the fields in the area, it being reported on TV that the crops on the Fyde coastal region, cannot be taken out of the ground, very easily, hence our track being damaged by farm traffic.

I have contemplated flying from the nearby beach, although this area of the coast is frequented by those having a winter break. Unlike Blackpool, which is deserted this time of the year. This means that although the local beach is vast, people have a habit of popping up unexpectedly, often far out, walking their dog. I would need some one standing guard as an observer. My wife would do this for me at Allonby, in Cumbria, although a narrower beach and grass front, far less people, particularly in winter. For the same basic reasons I feel it would be potentially dangerous to fly of the sand dunes.

When will this awful weather end.

I have not been able to even observe the anti-fackers, or if the road works, water mains and all the other disruptions that are local have been completed. Although many of the local bridges have been closed to traffic for 6 months, increasing the local congestion, to a place with one major road through.

I have one model waiting a test flight, if I ever get to the field.

My wife is displeased as most of the non links golf clubs are closed, due to water logging. Life can be so cruel.

I sympathise with you guys, really I do. Here on the Norfolk / Suffolk border there have been very few weeks where conditions have prevented flying. We seem to be able to get at least one flyable day per week. Fortunately we fly off a tarmac runway so rain / water is not an issue.

Thoroughly miserable. No flying since before Xmas just high winds and torrential rain on the Kent coast. The one day we could have got out was Christmas Eve but that proved impossible. At least managed to go indoor flying with Bloobirds club last night, unfortunately broke two planes due to rusty fingers. As I say thoroughly miserable as there seems little chance of a break in the weather any time soon. Good luck to all of you who are fortunate enough to get out there flying. I will just sit here reading this thread whilst crying as I mend my indoor planes.

Oh Woe, When will this torment end?????

Strong winds and constant drizzle here in central France have turned our flying field into a marsh. I was collected by the club's secretary for the New Year's Eve Dinner because my RWD van would never have got out of the field. However, I have put the time to good use. I have recovered the tail surfaces of the club's trainer, assembled a Seagull Boomerang as a reserve trainer and plan to overhaul my Junior 60 and to complete my DB Sport and Scale Auster which only needs the fin and rudder