2016 RCM&E Autumn Special- Free Plan Modellers Choice

Or we could look down the classic airliner route.....DH Comet,Dove/Devon I heard wisper of a Dragon Rapide a couple or so years ago! Beechcraft Starship,Piaggio Avanti.......Oh go on you got me A Concorde as well!

Not sure they would all have the commercial viability I'm sure Concorde would though! Although not an airliner the Vickers Valiant is pretty nice. It must be hard for Tony gauging people's views pleasing the mases or at least most,factoring commercial success then have to build it, whilst drawing the plan,making amendments, photographing progress....and doing the write up.No wonder the guy can only dream of counting sheep!

....Yep talented bloke indeed.

Oh thank you Steve....you know how to press buttons!!blush

I would love to do a Concord so maybe that should move up my personal fav to-do list.

Seems like the Zero is getting a few mentions now, along with these double wingers thingies....good to see a pattern forming at last even though neither were on my to-do list.....but hey, you tell me!

Remember, your choice has to be the one you would stop and clear your building board for.....keep them coming guys.....wink

Yep me to Colin,

1) Concorde

2)Vickers Valiant

3)Hawker Siddley Harrier

Even if Tony doesn't do Concorde in Autumn special, maybe we'll get it quite soon as it's a personal favourite for him to which is great news! CS will be happy to...so here's hoping. I used to fly with a guy up Chobham Common who scratch built a foam Concorde put a couple of knackered os 25s on the back and bunggeed it flew well,caused great controversy as was painted in Virgin Atlantic colours! ...looked great though and really suited it.

Anyways I'm off now and just gonna keep looking and hoping from now on,I'm keeping quiet on this thread.

Cheers Steve

PS If it goes to a Mitsubishi Zero that would be cool to, great plane.

One of my requirements is that a model should fly well. To do this there are at least two important elements

The first it needs to be light relative to the wing area. That is a low to medium wing loading. This points towards a simple structure and not to small a wing, relative to body mass.

The second it flies well because it is not extreme, in that the wings are not very tapered, or have massive sweep back. I know there are ways around the issues, i like my models not to have them.

I do think that this does suggest some of the civil aircraft and that would be a change.

One final thought, if it is a biplane, then a very simply rigging model is a must for the ordinary guy at the patch.

Does any one else out there think along the same lines when making a model choice?

I really do, do like the idea of a WACO SRE or Beechcraft Bacckstagger (Model 17?).

Posted by Tony Nijhuis on 13/01/2016 22:44:57:

Remember, your choice has to be the one you would stop and clear your building board for.....keep them coming guys.....wink

Well, the piston Provost would do that for me - that would be a "must build"

Posted by Fun Flyer on 14/01/2016 22:30:48:

Personally I would like to see an Autumn Special plan that isn't a warbird for a change. There are so many possibilities....

1). DH Dragon or even a Rapide

2). Cessna 150 or 172

3). Shorts Skyvan or 330.

Please!!

To a point I agree, but you have to remember the other important consideration.

Will it sell magazines ?

Old warplanes do.

I said I wasn't going. To interfere but....

Lockheed Constellation

DC 4/6

Canadair CL215 could also sell well worldwide!

So Tony what would your top 10 planes be to design and build and why good sir? I think we would all be interested to know as this could be the way to go in future with things,rather than slang it out over various design types each have their own merits and pitfalls to boot!....The thing about the modellers choice is that whilst It could be fun for the designer, it can also be a real nightmare for them to! As far as I'm concerned it shows us all how dedicated TN is as a designer /builder....No more interfering I promise, but if you want a vote count or sway later on with thread I'd be happy to help.

Good luck to all voting

Stevesmiley

Posted by Kevin Wilson on 14/01/2016 07:46:39:
Posted by Tony Nijhuis on 13/01/2016 22:44:57:

Remember, your choice has to be the one you would stop and clear your building board for.....

OK, that has prompted me.

4' - 5' electric twin

BN Islander

Grumman Tigercat

B25 Mitchel

put my three in but would also go with the 2nd & 3rd choice on your list

andy

I think the points made by Martin could be useful.

If a few pointers were now made by TN himself, as to what it is that helps in his decision making when the time for selection comes. Some are probably obvious, the first that he can be enthused to actually design and build the model. A second which influences both the RCM&E and TN is that both the mag and the kits and accessories need to sell in sufficient numbers to make the venture worthwhile. I would also guess the selected aircraft stands a chance of flying in the hands of the average flier.

We have all put a range of ideas forward. This perhaps indicates that there is no single model that every one wants. I can imagine that the ARTF world is similar, yet different, as they tend to reflect world wide sales, rather than the bias of the UK market.

One final thought, with advent of viable electric flight, twins are now a viable type for most modellers.

Well I just done a rough count on the planes most wanted, for a plan, so far

WEll out in front are :- Hawker Hind /Nimrod.........8

Percivil Proverst.................8

Zero ..........5

P38............4

Sea fury ........3

A few with one's and two's, so keep your fav aircraft coming

Barry

Mr Barry

You seem to missing 3 votes for the Beechcraft back/stagger wing. Could there be other aircraft missing?

Perhaps another observation, there is some movement towards civil aircraft, in the general voting. Although I have noted that the TN prejudice (preference) is towards military aircraft of WW2.smiley

Hi Kevins b & 216, In the March and April 1977 RCM&E there was a 48.5" span Short Skyvan, by Kevin Flynn, for a pair of Cox TD .049s as full-size plans. As I recall the rather massive nose was carved from a solid lump of balsa! I'm sure it would be a good candidate for revisiting in Depron. A quick google shows it appears to have been electrified too, in pre-brushless days.

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=26655

By the way, Is there a natural affinity between Kevins and Skyvans? laugh

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 15/01/2016 12:05:05