Kit builders, what would you like???

Advert

My feeling on the Graupner and BH He111's is that they are just too small a scale to really work. The nacelles are tiny and getting anything in them is a right pain, as a friend of mine is discovering. The ju88 has bigger nacelles so 72 inch works for that model.

I am with ian about the whirlwind. Simple construction like your other models but it does need the proper flaps. The flaps should be simplified enough to not make their construction an epic and give everyone a foolproof construction so they don't go wrong.

I am already sketching designs in my head!

Just a few thoughts from a personal perspective.

I used to in the past be a fairly prolific builder then life got in the way! I have loads of ideas and wants but just not the time, sometimes I just want something quick and easy to put together that has a chance of being finished within a shortish time scale, then I have thoughts of complicating everything!indecision

BUT between all this the underlying wish is to produce something rather than just assemble finished parts, I think Richard has hit the sweet spot with his kits and they fit in what I require at this time, you can build the basic or as you will see on the Balsa Bashing thread you can go to town as far as you want.

For me this will help me get back into my BT Spitfire build which although a great design, in my life is too time comsuming at the moment.

I will be up for a Whirlwind if one is produced and a Tempest/Typhoon/Sea Fury what ever comes out.

I am considering the Yak 3 or the La 7 at the moment but my beloved has pointed out there are a few to finish but this has never stopped me in the past!

It does help that now I have finally found a club and site that caters for what I want to do rather what I can do so I am getting my Mojo back after about 4 years of trying.

Having looked around for availble kits these days it is very thin on the ground so I am all for supporting the local kit manufacturers if I can.

My kit stash is monsterous so i dont think you are alone. With almost 10 airworthy and countless dotted around the place i could build for 10 years and not run out. I think i will have to thin the heard a little before too long as i just dont have the space.

But, i agree with you about hitting the sweet spot between speed and accuracy. You can either build it stock in no time and just have at it, or take that time you saved with the quick build design and use it to add your own details. Even with the additional detailing it will still be faster than a full build and at this scale its unlikely you want to put in the same degree of effort and detail you would in an 80 or 90 inch model.

As for the Yak and La7, i think Richard has the latter in stock, and if you dont have an engine there is a Laser 70 in stock here too :P

Posted by Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 28/04/2016 08:35:00:

My kit stash is monsterous so i dont think you are alone. With almost 10 airworthy and countless dotted around the place i could build for 10 years and not run out. I think i will have to thin the heard a little before too long as i just dont have the space.

But, i agree with you about hitting the sweet spot between speed and accuracy. You can either build it stock in no time and just have at it, or take that time you saved with the quick build design and use it to add your own details. Even with the additional detailing it will still be faster than a full build and at this scale its unlikely you want to put in the same degree of effort and detail you would in an 80 or 90 inch model.

As for the Yak and La7, i think Richard has the latter in stock, and if you dont have an engine there is a Laser 70 in stock here too :P

Jon

I am glad you said the 70 as I have one looking for a home!wink Just what to choose, I like the colour schemes for both.

Posted by Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 27/04/2016 23:22:51:

I am with ian about the whirlwind. Simple construction like your other models but it does need the proper flaps. The flaps should be simplified enough to not make their construction an epic and give everyone a foolproof construction so they don't go wrong.

I am already sketching designs in my head!

I do know what you mean but I'm not sure that "proper" Whirlwind flaps and "simpllified" go together in the same sentence. smiley The hope would be that a compromise could be found, and that this doesn't prove a showstopper

**LINK**

A.A. Barry has also done it on here, about halfway down P3 on this thread

**LINK**

I agree it's definitely do-able. Just not sure how that fits in with the "simple" build ethos of this range of kits. Or with a foam wing wink Or how many prospective purchasers may be put off by the thought of having to build that and get it working properly.

Heresy to some I know but maybe a flapless foam wing is the best way to market, and those that have the desire and ability to modify that, will. Or a laser cut wing (suits me!) in which the scale flap operation is optional? I just worry that insisting on incoprporating the "proper" flap operation (though I completely understand the desire) will kill the kit's chances

Edited By IanN on 28/04/2016 15:25:42

...and another off the wall suggestion from me for those who like the Italian fighters - the Reggiane 2005:

Perfect dimensions for a good flying model, and that wing is very P47 like so we know it will handle well. Probably too rare to be much of a seller I know, but you can dream!

the flying tank and the Italian job !

I like both of those . The sand and spinach camouflage is a particular favourite of mine .

I can never understand why people dont like the Italian fighters and some of the bombers too .

I spend a lot of time standing in the middle of a park muttering Macchi , Macchi. Macchi.

I havent been arrested yet , people just assume Ive lost my West Highland terrier..

Having read all the thread , to me what we need is a single, and a twin for the club flyer, with the choice of being up to the individual as to wether /how much detail to add. To this end the Tempest gets my vote for the single ,based around the lazer 80 which would be around 65" ish w/s .As for the twin , like the B25,and the whirlwind, but is there an issue with the flaps ? Also like that Henschel 129 that's just been posted, new one on me. However we need a smaller lazer engine John ?? for a pair. To fit in with a 72" ish wingspan model. Yes I'm with the I/c brigade. Otherwise would be a pair of 25 two strokes. The reason I go with lazer engines, is their made to run inverted, love em !! sound the Rolls Royce of model engines, and the BRITISH, same as Richards " Warbird Replicas " .yes

This is awful. I really like all of the planes that are mentioned but know they will never be kitted as the market is too small. I mean the re2005, superb looking aeroplane that would make an awesome model....for the 5 people who buy it

Gillyg, there is no chance of a smaller laser. Its just not cost effective to produce. We did a 45, 50 and 62 in the past and we stopped doing them for a reason. If the whirlwind goes ahead I will use my 2 very old laser 62's if I can, if not I will have to go for a forage un my spare engines box and see what I come up with. As our current 70 is the same size as the 62 you could use those and just fit bigger props, perhaps even 3 blade, to soak up the excess power.

Ok Jon just sounding you out.But being practical for the twin .needs to be around 72"ish w/s to transport in your clubmans car.
So going to have to use different engines as I think 2x 70s would be to much.
So we have Richard willing to produce a kit ,it's what people want that he wants too know?
As previously mentioned let's go for a single. The tempest gets my vote, to suit the lazer 80.which could be adapted to the mk 2 or 5 or seafury .
Cheers Graham

With all due respect to Jon, I don't think the decision on which model to kit should be made on a particular brand of i/c engine.

As Richard admits, the majority of his kits are sold for electric power, not i/c so surely the decision should be made on commercial grounds, not on a particular engine.

Warbird replicas, at least as far as I can see, have an ideal set-up with their motor for the Spit and it would make sense to capitalise on the existing technolgy plus it has a proven sales track record.

I don't have an aversion to i/c power but it must make more sense to go where the sales are at least as far as the kit is concerned.